Our truck problems this spring

Wrknrvr

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I counted my used fuel filters. 20 in all.    So that was 10 times of changing the filters.

I probably change at least 3 sets that were not needed. And they were all at very inconvenient locations.

But we made it to Montana. That is what counts.

Safe Travels to all,    Vern

8 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Today I counted my used fuel filters. 20 in all.    So that was 10 times of changing the filters.

I probably change at least 3 sets that were not needed. And they were all at very inconvenient locations.

But we made it to Montana. That is what counts.

Safe Travels to all,    Vern

So, what is your plan going forward? What fuel additives you plan to use? I have a 98 Cummins. I use the Power Service in the silver bottle every time I fill up. I also use some brand of biocide when I know the fuel is going to sit in the tanks for an extended time. So far, so good.  I haven't had any problems with my fuel except once. It wasn't really a fuel problem per se. I left Arkansas and headed west to Oregon. Every TA or Petro (big fan of the TSD fuel card) I bought fuel at, was bio diesel. Bio diesel is a really good cleaner and an excellent lubricant. By the time I started back east towards home, the bio diesel had cleaned my fuel system very well. My fuel filters stopped up with little granules that looked like pepper. The filters were new when I left home.  Luckily I had made it into Reno when that happened and I drove to a dealer and bought new filters and changed them out in the parking lot. Needless to say, I peer down into my tanks often now and haven't had any more problems sense. But, I am a bit paranoid about having fuel problems after that experience. Following your thread hasn't help that paranoia at all!! Thus my question of your plan going forward to avoid further issues. What I do now, as stated above, is what I learned from somebody online that had retired from the refinery industry.  I'm not a full timer. My truck sits thru the winter. But, even so, doing what I mentioned above has worked well for me so far.

I am curious?

Does 0 degrees temperature kill algae. Could  just wait for that to happen.

So I do have some of that algicide leftover from the trip. I may add that next weekend and get it mixed in for a day or two. Then take the truck for ride somewhere.

I will be on the lookout for that crap, every time I can look into the tanks.

I think that pumping the treatment through the fuel system may have helped eliminate that algae. Even eliminated some fuel leaks plugging stuff.  Not sure how to word that subject.

Sure makes ya wonder if it will bite again.

In my 50+ years of owning/operating diesel equipment, I've experienced algae 3 times.  First two were in a tractor that had been using nothing but treated ( by us) fuel.  Can't remember on the third.  This from small tractors to large 4wd and harvesters with 250 gal. capacity.

But, all my equipment has sat for many months at a time with less than 1/2 tank, usually over winter when the worst condensation should occur.  Never any appreciable water in the filters.  Therefore, my thought is, why bother?  My old fuel supplier said all his fuel was treated, so don't be double dosing.  Now I'm down to just 4 diesels.  Less to worry about.

Like it says on the fuel cap of many old tractors, "Buy clean fuel.  Keep it clean."

BTW Vern, my cholesterol and sodium levels were getting out of hand, so I switched to watermelon. 😁

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Cold will inhibit the growth of the algae but will not kill it.  Just goes dormant until sunlight. There’s algae and bacteria present in the polar ice.  Remember though, the “slime” is a combination of BACTERIA & ALGAE and it grows mostly at the diesel water interface.  I have the Davco and can periodically drain off any accumulated water but that doesn’t help with any water that may be sitting in the tank.  I trust Rick’s opinion on most things but for me a $30 bottle of biocide is cheap insurance against what Vern went through.

https://askabiologist.asu.edu/explore/frozen-life#:~:text=The Arctic ecosystem is home,large amount of food available.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Carl, you bring up an observation I missed.  Indeed, lack of water in the filter is not a good indicator that there's no water in the tank.  Take a peek once in a while to be sure.  Most of our farm equipment has a drain at the low point in the tank, where we can crack it a bit and see what comes out.  Our trucks do not.

And if you're worried about algae, sure, add some biocide occasionally. It won't break the bank.

My point is, it's pretty unlikely that any of us will ever run into this problem.  But never say never.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

When I say pumping treatment through the fuel system. Along with the recirculating of fuel in The tanks for hours with treatment in it.

I pumped that same treated fuel through the fuel lines up to the fuel pump on the engine. I used a small pump that would pump like 5 gallons a hour. That way the treatment was through both filters and all the suction sides supply lines.

Geography is interesting. Walk inside any average petro stop around here, and the fuel additive shelf stock is 99% anti-gel related. Most stores don't even stock bio-cide/algicide. There's simply no demand for it. Winter Relative Humidity levels in the teens will do that for you. Of course, beside the till in these businesses is a collection of up to a dozen varieties of lip/hand care.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I was around well drilling equipment for 30 years. I had heard of the problem before.

Just never experienced it before.    Looking back the fuel tanks should have been topped off before parking. And being in South Carolina, it should of had treatment in it.

More mini series are being thought of. They could have something to do with our adventure this year.

Switching to watermelon is a good idea. Just leave the salt off The melon.

1 minute ago, Wrknrvr said:

Switching to watermelon is a good idea. Just leave the salt off The melon.

Haven't got the bacon to work with watermelon.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

22 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Darryl got me to thinking about fuel treatment. I will check in local stores to see if they have any on their shelves.

Take a look at this product to consider for your arsenal. 
https://petroleumservicecompany.com/power-service-clear-diesel/?sku=9264-06&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&gclid=CjwKCAjwrranBhAEEiwAzbhNtXeHYs9CoiZq7h2I122guuRq1-wAJbRZYBU0k4OIs75DCBLZ-C-KuxoCuhcQAvD_BwE

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"