Which windshield sunshade do you prefer?

Deezl Smoke

Finally spending enough time out and about in the rig, so need a sunshade for the windshield.

Which brand or type do you use or have used and either like or dislike? I see several on amazon. I dont think I need a custom fit shade, but it's a tougher decision when you see sunshades for semi trucks listed with rearview mirror cutouts. So far I've only ever come across one day-cab with a rearview mirror and that's because I installed it. But.....

Thanks.

I'm a work'n on it.

For my Volvo I cut a piece of "reflectix". I think it's a 48 inch wide(or tall) and I have folded over one edge to make it fit better. It's much better at blocking the sun than the "Privacy Screens, but I still close them behind the reflective insulation stuff. You will need a light inside for most things though. I've also cut pieces for the other windows and the "Skylight". 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

24 minutes ago, lappir said:

For my Volvo I cut a piece of "reflectix". I think it's a 48 inch wide(or tall) and I have folded over one edge to make it fit better. It's much better at blocking the sun than the "Privacy Screens, but I still close them behind the reflective insulation stuff. You will need a light inside for most things though. I've also cut pieces for the other windows and the "Skylight". 

Rod

Not an HDT , but , just to say that we do the same in our Monaco motor home windshield . Much better at blocking light and adding an insulation layer . 

Goes around , comes around .

Totally off topic, sorta, I'll add that I really disliked the skylight in the Volvo.  I often had to wear a hat when driving to keep the sun out of my eyes.  Not so with the KW.  After over 50 years of working in the sun, I like my shade.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I made window covers for the side and windshield from some thin rigid foam.    Don't forget the lower door window on the pass door.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

8 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Your truck didn't come with the windshield curtain?

It did, but I removed them as they are a real pita to keep folded when not in use. When new, they are nicely folded and strapped into their corners. Once used, they never go back. Just too much clutter in that area right beside my head. So I'm looking for a shade that I can just setup when needed, and fold to store in the sleeper cubby when not.

I'm a work'n on it.

On 7/21/2023 at 7:19 PM, rickeieio said:

Totally off topic, sorta, I'll add that I really disliked the skylight in the Volvo.  I often had to wear a hat when driving to keep the sun out of my eyes.  Not so with the KW.  After over 50 years of working in the sun, I like my shade.

Rick, I also dislike the Skylight. In the Gold truck it was covered both inside and outside for a long time. No light would come in. I was used to it. Now with the white truck, I sometimes appreciate the "Natural" light in the sleeper area, but as soon as I start driving it more during the day, I'm sure it will be covered too. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 7/21/2023 at 10:56 PM, Deezl Smoke said:

It did, but I removed them as they are a real pita to keep folded when not in use. When new, they are nicely folded and strapped into their corners. Once used, they never go back. Just too much clutter in that area right beside my head. So I'm looking for a shade that I can just setup when needed, and fold to store in the sleeper cubby when not.

In my first truck the curtains didn't have many of the "Hooks". I could still use them and fashioned some of my own hooks after pricing the little ones from Volvo. WAY too much money for a bent wire, even if it was sharpened. 

The new to me truck had all the hooks, but the track was falling because of the broken "Plastic" clips. Found some replacements (Not the $3.00 each Volvo ones) $25 for 25 including shipping. They are exactly the same, except in white. Problem is the aluminum track has bent over the years of non support and trying to clip it into the clips was almost impossible on the passenger side, and so far is impossible on the drivers side. After several hours yesterday I quit. Was starting to get hot in the cab. I'll try in the fall when the temps are cooler, but not cold enough to make the clips brittle. 

zhKA0sgl.jpg

If you are going try this, replace them one at a time. There is a small spacer behind the fabric that is not attached to it's spot. Got lucky and found the one that dropped out if here when I couldn't get the screw to go in. The spacer had turned sidewise and when I looked fell on the floor. Thankfully I found it and got it to stay long enough to get the screw started and secured. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

48 minutes ago, lappir said:

In my first truck the curtains didn't have many of the "Hooks". I could still use them and fashioned some of my own hooks after pricing the little ones from Volvo. WAY too much money for a bent wire, even if it was sharpened. 

The new to me truck had all the hooks, but the track was falling because of the broken "Plastic" clips. Found some replacements (Not the $3.00 each Volvo ones) $25 for 25 including shipping. They are exactly the same, except in white. Problem is the aluminum track has bent over the years of non support and trying to clip it into the clips was almost impossible on the passenger side, and so far is impossible on the drivers side. After several hours yesterday I quit. Was starting to get hot in the cab. I'll try in the fall when the temps are cooler, but not cold enough to make the clips brittle. 

zhKA0sgl.jpg

If you are going try this, replace them one at a time. There is a small spacer behind the fabric that is not attached to it's spot. Got lucky and found the one that dropped out if here when I couldn't get the screw to go in. The spacer had turned sidewise and when I looked fell on the floor. Thankfully I found it and got it to stay long enough to get the screw started and secured. 

Rod

Not sure how close to the windshield the Volvo curtain gets, but my Pete 567 the curtain stays a ways back and allows the dash to get quite hot. I would think it similar to volvo as the 567 has a wider one piece windshield like the volvo.

I did leave the track in place, just removed the stops at the end and slid the curtain assembly out. The stored position of the cab curtains interferes with the stored position of the sleeper curtains and makes a heck of pile of curtains right behind my head when driving. So that's why I'm looking for the separate dash shade. I can just fold it and put it in the sleeper cubby when not in use, and not have to deal with the bulky curtain pile when driving.

I'm a work'n on it.

1 hour ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Not sure how close to the windshield the Volvo curtain gets, but my Pete 567 the curtain stays a ways back and allows the dash to get quite hot. I would think it similar to volvo as the 567 has a wider one piece windshield like the volvo.

I did leave the track in place, just removed the stops at the end and slid the curtain assembly out. The stored position of the cab curtains interferes with the stored position of the sleeper curtains and makes a heck of pile of curtains right behind my head when driving. So that's why I'm looking for the separate dash shade. I can just fold it and put it in the sleeper cubby when not in use, and not have to deal with the bulky curtain pile when driving.

On the Volvo it's too close to the windshield for me to get much leverage to twist the aluminum track to get it in the clip. 

The curtains hang deep into the "Defroster vent" area so the dash is pretty well protected with just the curtains. My "Reflectix" makes it even better. 

Rod

Edited by lappir
Tried to edit out the bold. Copied and pasted the name in quotes for correct spelling and it chose to keep the font and boldness too.

2007 Honda GL 1800