Possibly being towed in Nashville TN

Wrknrvr

We may need towed to a campground with the fifthwheel. 43’ Teton.

Our Volvo 610 may need to be towed to a shop for repairs.

We have Coachnet. I have made contact with them. 

If you have followed my truck repair situations over the last three months, this will explain some interesting things that can happen.

In my repairs to the Volvo, with a Cummins n14 in it, I hope what I have learned could help someone else in the future.

After a lot of talking to truck repair people and a ecm rebuilder. I ordered a rebuilt ecm. Installed it and the truck started up and ran great for say 200 miles. Now in my truck issues that we have had over the last couple months in South Carolina, one thing we had to experience was algae in the fuel.  

We got just about north of Atlanta and the truck had a miss, then a few more misses until we stop and changed the fuel filters.

Did that several more times until north of Nashville Tn.       Finally had to stop and park. Fuel is not the issue. If the truck idles for 20 minutes, it runs fin for 30 minutes.

So I had a shop mechanic discover the the ecm lower plug if pushed towards the engine , the engine would start missing. Got permission to stay by day at a shop where we were at.    I talked to the ecm rebuilder and had another one shipped to where I am sitting. I also ordered a Cummins wiring harness for the engine. That was a real episode in it self. Not sure if it is the ecm or the wiring harness. But decided to put both in.

Harness did not show up till Friday , say 10:30 am.   I have it about 95 percent installed when I quit last night.

When this situation is over and I have calmed down, I will explain what installing a new wiring harness on a Cummins n14 takes. So if you find yourself in the same situation, I hope I have given you so good information.

If I cannot get the truck operating by noon or so , I will call Coachnet to be towed. We were told to be out of here by Sunday.

Looking for a campground recommendation. At this time we are not picky. I believe Coachnet will find us a campground to be towed to. Or what ever we can find.

Thanks greatly,    Vern

We are about 5 miles north of the beltway,north of Nashville Tn.

Edited by Wrknrvr

2 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

We may need towed to a campground with the fifthwheel. 43’ Teton.

Our Volvo 610 may need to be towed to a shop for repairs.

We have Coachnet. I have made contact with them. 

If you have followed my truck repair situations over the last three months, this will explain some interesting things that can happen.

In my repairs to the Volvo, with a Cummins n14 in it, I hope what I have learned could help someone else in the future.

After a lot of talking to truck repair people and a ecm rebuilder. I ordered a rebuilt ecm. Installed it and the truck started up and ran great for say 200 miles. Now in my truck issues that we have had over the last couple months in South Carolina, one thing we had to experience was algae in the fuel.  

We got just about north of Atlanta and the truck had a miss, then a few more misses until we stop and changed the fuel filters.

Did that several more times until north of Nashville Tn.       Finally had to stop and park. Fuel is not the issue. If the truck idles for 20 minutes, it runs fin for 30 minutes.

So I had a shop mechanic discover the the ecm lower plug if pushed towards the engine , the engine would start missing. Got permission to stay by day at a shop where we were at.    I talked to the ecm rebuilder and had another one shipped to where I am sitting. I also ordered a Cummins wiring harness for the engine. That was a real episode in it self. Not sure if it is the ecm or the wiring harness. But decided to put both in.

Harness did not show up till Friday , say 10:30 am.   I have it about 95 percent installed when I quit last night.

When this situation is over and I have calmed down, I will explain what installing a new wiring harness on a Cummins n14 takes. So if you find yourself in the same situation, I hope I have given you so good information.

If I cannot get the truck operating by noon or so , I will call Coachnet to be towed. We were told to be out of here by Sunday.

Looking for a campground recommendation. At this time we are not picky. I believe Coachnet will find us a campground to be towed to. Or what ever we can find.

Thanks greatly,    Vern

We are about 5 miles north of the beltway,north of Nashville Tn.

Vern,

I’ve heard some good things about Grand Ole RV Resort in Goodlettsville.  Never stayed there ourselves.  Where are you staying now?  There is also a KOA near Goodlettsville.  Inside the beltway will be expensive.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We are Whites Creek atthe moment.

We an stay tonight yet. But need to be moving by our own power or by hook.

The ecm has 3 bolts holding it for a few minutes. Inside in ac cooling off. And eat something.

There is one ground wire that is on the new harness, that was not on the old one.   Just so reach and it looks like it should be grounded to the ecm base. I believe that those versions of Cummins engines had a ecm grounding problem. This is a new harness, so I think it is a update on the wiring harness..

if someone could correct me on this I would appreciate it.

i will post a picture of it in a few minutes.

Thanks,    Vern 

How did I double post a picture?

So the wire to the right side of the picture that has a bare wire connector looks like it should be a ground.

The old wiring harness does not have that wire. The truck is a 2000 Volvo with late 1999 Cummins n14 eclectic plus engine.

Is this a ground connector.

Thanks greatly,   Vern

Yes, that is ground and can be connected to one of the ECM mounting bolts or wherever you can find a good connection point.  It's a critical ground so be sure every surface is prepped to be a mirror finish. All ECM connections are keyed.  Be sure you're in the right hole, so to speak. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

So I put in the new wiring harness. And a new rebuilt ecm. Motor cranks but not starting.

No faults showing. But then indicator light on the dash says no data transfer on the oil temperature sensor. 

Installed the old ecm that is 2 weeks old. Still no data transfer for oil temperature.  

No voltage to the plug connector. That was with the new ecm.  Will check in a little while if there is voltage with the old ecm in it.

So the truck ran fine since the rebuilt ecm was installed two weeks ago. Until it would start missing. Let it idle then it would run for awhile.

Let it high idle a few days ago for 3+ hours.   Never missed.

Would the engine run with that missing reading or not. Maybe the fuel needs primed,

Could one of the fuses be blown for the ecm.

Thanks,    Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

I’m not going to help with any advice but will definitely sympathize with you.  When my ECM went out I got all kinds of funky codes and communication errors.  It took a shop with a computer and $6k to get it running.  I know that is depressing but as rickeieio says “We pay to play”.  BTW did you find a suitable campground for longer term?

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I just got it running again.

Removed the new wiring harness and installed a rebuilt ecm and hooked it up to the old wiring harness.

Quite a adventure.

I am thinking of looking for a campground towards  Paducah Ky.

Really tired of crawling around the truck. If I found a place where I could install the new harness, I would think of doing it.

I must say there is a embarrassing thing I did.  But it will tank some time for me to admit it.

Thanks for all the help,    Vern 

Vern, there's a COE campground at the north end of Land Between the Lakes with pretty big sites.  Spindrift was there yesterday, and is an old hand on N14 Cummins.  You might get lucky if he sees this.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

16 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

Thanks Rick

I am rather tired. But I did learn a lot of information I will share with this group when we get settled down in Montana.

I hope things go better for the rest of the trip 

Agreed.  My recent ECM troubles and present electrical problems have been “enlightening “ to say the least.  Thank heavens we have some very smart people that are willing to help when we have issues.  Please share what you learned.  I think the worst “sin” for any forum is for someone to ask a question then never respond if the information provided helped OR what the final solution was when solved.  We all learn that way.

BTW we have stayed at Fern Lake Campground in Paducah, KY.  It was nice and had a really good Mexican Restaurant across the street. Also stayed at Duck Creek in Paducah but it was in more run down section of town and had a big auto salvage right next door which made it unattractive l

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

We have arrived in Kalispell.

Truck never missed a beat after leaving Nashville. 

I need to rest for a few days. Get set up at our summer site. I will then explain some of the problems I encountered to get the truck to run properly. And hopefully give some thoughts for anyone that has a Cummins N14 in a Volvo truck.

Vern

Edited by Wrknrvr

Glad you made it Vern. If your trans is good, I've got a good Volvo 465 for you. To my knowledge no one has been inside except for an overhead. Hasn't used any oil except what ruined the ECM a couple years ago. That and the wiring harness have been replaced. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Vern, you've got me on the edge of my seat, popcorn in hand, just waiting for your unveiling of what the underlying issue(s) were.

One thing I'll guaran-dang-tee you, is that some of us have been there with you.  And misteaks are the best teachers.😁

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Somewhere in a box of childhood stuff, I have an oversized eraser that says, "I NEVER MAKE BIG MISTEAKS'.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I did have to stop in Scott’s Bluff Nebraska. Needed to install a o’ring on a airline at the first tank. 1.98 cents for one at Napa. Was with in walking distance. Yep it was a odd ball size. I carry two different boxes of o rings. 

Still getting setup in Montana. Our van would not start.   Had to go get a new battery. That made it happy.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2023 at 7:19 AM, SuiteSuccess said:

I’m not going to help with any advice but will definitely sympathize with you.  When my ECM went out I got all kinds of funky codes and communication errors.  It took a shop with a computer and $6k to get it running.  I know that is depressing but as rickeieio says “We pay to play”.  BTW did you find a suitable campground for longer term?

Well, I guess I got off lucky.  I just had to replace the engine ECM in my 2012 D13.  It cost $450 to have it towed to Volvo and $5,000 for them to replace the ECM and a couple of other parts.

Rick,

You May need to get fresh popcorn.

We have somewhat settled into our summer time routine. So I need to read what notes I have taken. Look at photos of the dash diagnostics readout, and give good explanation of what we have experienced.

I am just now feeling good about being in Montana.   I sure missed a lot of things I like to do in Montana. But we will do as much fun things we can the rest of the year.

I will also provide some physical situations on a Volvo truck with a Cummins engine, that was frustrating to me. As Volvo would not talk to me.  My one good contact at a Volvo dealership is no longer available. The dealership closed up.

So be patient, as our last few months were interesting and frustrating.

Vern I hope I’m not too late. If you’re still in the Nashville area. 
When my engine went down. A friend of mine had me take it to 

B and B Truck Repair in Murfreesboro, Tn.  They are an excellent shop. 

Edited by Rick & Alana

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com