My car breaks down on the road?

My residents is in Missouri. I wonder if anyone has some experience with toad breaks down have to dump it. Buy an out of state car! Don't want to go home for a few months! Can I simply hang my old plates on my new out of state car and wait till I get back to Missouri to settle up the inspections and paperwork? Any incite would be appreciated.

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

George Hartshorn | Facebook

The dealer you buy from will give you a temporary tag to use while you wait for your new plates to arrive.

In Minnesota, the exception is if you bought a personalized plate. That is the only type that can be switched between vehicles but you do need to notify the DMV that you are doing so.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Each state is different but the end result, the dealer processes the paper work to hand off to state or county to complete the transaction for your state to collect the taxes/fees due. If your financing your title will go to the finance firm but I'm sure Missouri has handled that many times. 

I use to buy some used cars in Missouri and  the biggest problem was getting them to put a license plate bracket on the front of the car.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Well thanks for the information offered. But I was not looking for advice on how to break the law! But was looking for how I could legally buy an out of state car and not have to go immediately back to Missouri to get the inspection and other paperwork done. Not to worry I will ask around. 

Still seeing Places we have never seen before and others that we thought we would never see again!

homelesshartshorns | Trying to spend the last Dollar on the Last Day! (wordpress.com)

23 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

My residents is in Missouri. I wonder if anyone has some experience with toad breaks down have to dump it. Buy an out of state car! Don't want to go home for a few months! Can I simply hang my old plates on my new out of state car and wait till I get back to Missouri to settle up the inspections and paperwork? Any incite would be appreciated.

Some state will transfer plates from old car to new car but not truck to car or car to truck. You would have been breaking the law if you just put the tags on the new one and waited to get back to Missouri to do the paperwork. Your not the first person to do this. If you would have called the Missouri dmv you probably would have had your answer by now

I bought a vehicle in Georgia and titled/registered it in Florida.

The procedure was to get a temp tag, then have the Florida DMV mail me the necessary form. I had a local LEO verify the VIN and odometer, then mail the form to Florida (with tax payment of course) and a couple of weeks later I had the Florida title, registration and tag in hand in Georgia. No problems and I didin't have to take it to Florida.

Call up the Missouri DMV, perhaps in your residence county, and ask them how to do it.

-C&J-

CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com

Yes to what Dan and jbh suggest.  I don't know about Missouri, but I do know that it varies from state to state, AND it varies within the state, depending on who you talk to.  If you actually have a residence in MO, I suggest you wander down to the registrar's office and ask them.  Act like a total dummy, ( I have lots of practice), and they'll likely be eager to help.

And as also mentioned above, travel with your titles.  Also, perhaps enough cash to get yourself out of a jam quickly.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Well thanks for the information offered. But I was not looking for advice on how to break the law! But was looking for how I could legally buy an out of state car and not have to go immediately back to Missouri to get the inspection and other paperwork done. Not to worry I will ask around. 

You did ask around when you asked here. And not one of us advised breaking the law. We did tell you of our experiences buying cars out of state while staying within the law. I'm sorry we didn't give you whatever answer you were hoping to get.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, homelesshartshorns said:

I suggested calling Missouri DMV to legally buy a car out of state..... not breaking the law.  I don't think anyone told you to break the law!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 minute ago, folivier said:

We did buy a car in Utah once and had to have them extend the temporary plate since it was over a month before we got home.

Ok now there is information! So, you were given a title and a temp plate from Utah, for a month?

52 minutes ago, folivier said:

We did buy a car in Utah once and had to have them extend the temporary plate since it was over a month before we got home.

We had that same experience in Nevada. Bought a car in Las Vegas and had to have the temporary permit extended because the paperwork didn't happen quickly enough. We didn't go home even then, we just had the plates mailed to us where we were. South Dakota domiciled at that time.

Linda

1 hour ago, homelesshartshorns said:

Ok now there is information! So, you were given a title and a temp plate from Utah, for a month?

The selling dealer is only allowed to issue a temporary paper license plate for the state in which they are licensed to do business. Dealing with MO is entirely your responsibility.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Couple of thoughts: 

I've read through all the above posts, and the only thing that would appear illegal is in the original post.  But, I'm no lawyer.

Second, one time my dad got a talking to by a police officer, who told him that having the wrong plate is a felony, while having no plate is a mis-demeanor.  I've not verified that.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

As per most of my inquiries the post has gone south. Sorry to have once again thinking I might find some sound information here. 

1 minute ago, homelesshartshorns said:

As per most of my inquiries the post has gone south. Sorry to have once again thinking I might find some sound information here. 

If most of your inquiries go south, you might try doing some more research before posting or try to give complete information in the original question.

Your reply here sounds like a guy I know. After his 6th marriage went down the tubes, he asked me why all of the women he married were bad.......

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire