Settle this for us!

Cookie1

I've been a full timer until 6 months ago for 16 years. This is an on going dispute I have with a loved one..... Fresh Water Hose should always be WHITE. True or False and why. 

Thank You!

Also shopping for an older light weight toad.

Cookie & Comer

Queen Punky Brewster

2015 Entegra Cornerstone

2015 Grand Cherokee

Facebook. CookieRv

Life Rocks When Your Home Rolls

FALSE . . . I have a heated hose and it is Orange. I also have another hose that is blue and both certified for drinking water.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

It's not the colour of the hose that is the issue. It's if water sits in the hose for an extended period. You can use a garden hose to fill a tank provided the hose is empty of old water when you start. Never travel with water in any hose. Empty them before storing them.

30 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Then screw the two ends together so nothing can crawl inside.

Linda

Of course! 

Cookie & Comer

Queen Punky Brewster

2015 Entegra Cornerstone

2015 Grand Cherokee

Facebook. CookieRv

10 hours ago, bruce t said:

It's not the colour of the hose that is the issue. It's if water sits in the hose for an extended period. You can use a garden hose to fill a tank provided the hose is empty of old water when you start. Never travel with water in any hose. Empty them before storing them.

They asked if drinking water hoses only came in white . . . Thats why the color answers.

Steve and Joy

Amateur Radio Operator WZ1T . . .  Flex 6600 M,  Flex PGXL, Flex TGXL, 

2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . Lincoln MKX Toad

The Kids . . . Yogi the Yorkie  passed 10/20/2018. . . Cookie the Chihuahua passed 11/30/2017 . . . Cooper the Aussie Doodle passed 3/10/2020

Abbie  and Abel  the Doodles . . . Brother and Sister Born 02/02/2020   . . . Lucy the Yorkie . . . and Axel  . . .The Bernie Doodle

Where We Are Now

Just a guess but I'd bet 15 years ago that almost all, if not all, "drinking water safe" hoses were white. You used the hose color to tell the difference.

Hose fittings are made with a little bit of lead which leaches out into the water. A hose that is "drinking water safe" doesn't have fittings with lead.

Today, "drinking water safe" hoses are made in a multitude of colors and styles and are labeled "drinking water safe". 

I've had white ones, blue ones and now Zero G grey ones, all labeled drinking water safe.

I just looked on Amazon, there are 7 pages of them in all styles and colors. Today is a different day.

2013 Newmar Dutchstar 4318

2019 F150 KR 4X4 

BlueOx 10K Tow Bar

Thank You!!  Thats what I was thinking about what I learned about RVing on here was so long ago! Most of my education came from right here even before I bought my first rig. Gosh I'm really in the "old" days mode! I have always connected the hose ends together when not in using. DK thanks for saving me, guess I'm still in the old school mode.

BTW, Still looking for a lightweight older toad. We're in Las Vegas now. Making bimonthly trips to Mayo in Phoenix for now. 

Cookie & Comer

Queen Punky Brewster

2015 Entegra Cornerstone

2015 Grand Cherokee

Facebook. CookieRv

Hygiene counts regardless of hose colour. How many times have you seen someone flushing their sewer hose out with their 'white' hose? Or put their sewer hose over the faucet to flush it out! Each of us has to be responsible for our own 'standards' and if a white hose keeps you happy then great. I object to paying a king's ransom just to get a white hose when any hose used with common sense will do the job.

I grew up in the country with only tank water. What was in that tank wasn't worth thinking about. So the type of hose I use doesn't worry me.

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

I hope those are resulting in good news.

Linda

We've been able to keep him with for a couple more months than we thought we had. We go next week but they are cutting back the treatment so it may be once a month trip. No cure.

Cookie & Comer

Queen Punky Brewster

2015 Entegra Cornerstone

2015 Grand Cherokee

Facebook. CookieRv

Sorry to hear that Cookie. I am assuming Comer is the patient. I wish you both all the best in love and care in whatever time your extension is.

You have the hose question pretty much answered. I agree that the hoses need to be empty and if you use two or three 10-15 foot hoses they are short enough to hang in half on the ladder most RVs have on the back to drain all the water out for a few minutes. Then put them together for travel but not the ends, let the insides dry some. When you hook up always run the water for 10 seconds or so to rinse out any critters.

I also found using the shorter hoses let me replace a section without buying the whole assembled length. I call it frugal, my significant harassment calls it cheap! 😉

There is a lot more in the hoses than mentioned so click on the link for the toxic chemicals in hoses.

"As you can see in the Ecology Center study, the hoses that were labeled as “Drinking Water Safe” were free from elevated levels of lead, bromine, and antimony, but about 30% of them still contained phthalates.

Therefore, your best bet is to choose a garden hose that is BOTH “Drinking Water Safe” AND “phthalate-free.”

https://www.thefiltery.com/non-toxic-drinking-water-safe-garden-hose/

I wish you enough.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire