Okay to leave water pump on 24/7 when boondocking?

amarie1

I’m drycamping for the first time, 4 days in a state park. I don’t know how long my batteries will last without having to run the generator, so I’m trying to be very miserly with what 12v items I use.

If I turn on the water pump, does it draw electricity immediately, and all the time? Or only when I use it, that is, when I turn on a faucet or flush the toilet. 

If it draws all the time, then I should turn it off at night and when I leave for a hike, right? 

Thanks for any info,

AM

2018 Forest River Sunseeker 2290SC
25 feet, Chevy Express 4500
"Angie" (short for Angel)

The water pump only draws power when it actually runs.  There is nothing wrong with leaving it on the whole time.  Some people do turn them off when they leave their rig just in case a line breaks or something so the pump doesn’t create a flood while your not around.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Make sure your pump isn't burping occasionally - a sign there is a slow drip someplace or the check valve in the pump is leaking.  If it is burping, it is using some battery power but not a lot.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Ours is either enabled via a digital control panel (annoying), or outside by the water connections and leveling jack controls.  I have a perma-sticky-note that says "Turn Off the Water Pump".  Lifting the jacks is the last thing we do, and I don't want to forget.  All that to say:  definitely turn it off while you're in motion!  While boondocking, it's fine.  If you're going to leave for the day, not a bad idea to turn it off.  If a leak were to happen or something go nutso, at least you wouldn't flood your rig or the bays.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

I just leave my pump on all of the time unless we leave for an extended period. Chad gave a good response.

As to the water heater, you will save very little propane by turning that off between uses since the water cools down and uses nearly as much propane to heat back up as it would have used if left on. Our first 2 winters of fulltime we were in the same location and the first I left mine on all of the time and the second I only turned it once each day. The second winter my propane lasted 2 days longer than the first on an ASME tank that held 60#.(about 15 gallons)

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I just leave my pump on all of the time unless we leave for an extended period. Chad gave a good response.

As to the water heater, you will save very little propane by turning that off between uses since the water cools down and uses nearly as much propane to heat back up as it would have used if left on. Our first 2 winters of fulltime we were in the same location and the first I left mine on all of the time and the second I only turned it once each day. The second winter my propane lasted 2 days longer than the first on an ASME tank that held 60#.(about 15 gallons)

In my van, I had an electric 2.5 gallon water heater. I could turn on the power for 10 minutes then turn it off and the hot water would be a perfect temperature to shower without adding cold. No wasting water trying to get the mixture right. Not a typical situation but something to think about.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Depending on how much hot water you use. 

Put a timer on my water heater and set it for 30 minutes. In about 10 minutes I hop in the shower and turn on the dishwasher. If I'm using my water pump the low flow shower head causes the pump to cycle very often. Same with the dish washer when filling. If I'm running both the pump runs constantly to fill the dish washer as I'm showering and washing my hair. Have plenty of hot water for both things and even a bit of warm water in the evening when I get home. My propane now lasts a lot longer than when I just left the heater on all the time. It's the only thing that currently uses propane. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I've always just turned the water pump on when using water. Off all other times. 

Had a friend who was driving to a great boondock spot and figured he could stay a week or longer. Unknown to him his wife had left the bathroom faucet slightly running. Yep, got to his spot, set up, went to take a shower and the water tank was about empty. And the waste tank was about full. Had to find a place to dump and fill. And lost his spot!

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg