RV Generator Size

1 hour ago, Tulecreeper said:

So, other than cleaner electrical power for sensitive electronics what benefit does an inverter-type have over a standard generator?

I agree with Hems answer, in addition:

1) UNLIKE a standard genset, an Inverter does NOT depend on the engines RPM to arrive at 60 HZ AC power output, it provides ELECTRONIC 60 HZ 120 VAC so Frequency isn't depending on engine RPM. IE an Inverter provides more stable frequency... 

2) Similar to Hems, when you're drawing low power, the engine can slow down, be more quiet, using less fuel.

3) When a big load comes on line an Inverter maintains 60 HZ while a standard may drop its frequency momentarily due to the RPM dragging down.

NOTE Sure an Inverter has advantages butttttttttt they cost much more and Ive got by 50 years with Onan, Generac, Kohler, Cummis and Off Brand standard gensets with NEVER any problems operating so called sensitive electronics. Many low power elec devices use their own built in AC to lower voltage DC conversion circuits and minor AC power problems dont really affect them all that much....... 

A standard true 120/240, 4000 or more watts, with a 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding 120/240

Receptacle (30 or 50 Amps) should run BOTH AC's no problem and likely NOT harm your electronic devices ??? YOUR MONEY YOUR CHOICE NONE OF OURS.

Again, its my OPINION Yamaha and Honda or Cummins Onan (what I own) are good brands (cost most) while Ive heard good about Champion and Predator etc etc . I suggest you purchase from a local established vendor like Home Depot or Lowes or ACE or Menards INSTEAD OF some unheard of brands sold on Amazon or E Bay JUST TRY AND GET WARRANTY OR REPAIRS if you buy one there GOOD LUCK with that lol PS  You Tube has hundreds of genset reviews and they are all right, think so lol

John T  NOT a generator expert, see what else any here have to say regarding your concerns

43 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

I agree with Hems answer, in addition:

1) UNLIKE a standard genset, an Inverter does NOT depend on the engines RPM to arrive at 60 HZ AC power output, it provides ELECTRONIC 60 HZ 120 VAC so Frequency isn't depending on engine RPM. IE an Inverter provides more stable frequency... 

2) Similar to Hems, when you're drawing low power, the engine can slow down, be more quiet, using less fuel.

3) When a big load comes on line an Inverter maintains 60 HZ while a standard may drop its frequency momentarily due to the RPM dragging down.

NOTE Sure an Inverter has advantages butttttttttt they cost much more and Ive got by 50 years with Onan, Generac, Kohler, Cummis and Off Brand standard gensets with NEVER any problems operating so called sensitive electronics. Many low power elec devices use their own built in AC to lower voltage DC conversion circuits and minor AC power problems dont really affect them all that much....... 

A standard true 120/240, 4000 or more watts, with a 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding 120/240

Receptacle (30 or 50 Amps) should run BOTH AC's no problem and likely NOT harm your electronic devices ??? YOUR MONEY YOUR CHOICE NONE OF OURS.

Again, its my OPINION Yamaha and Honda or Cummins Onan (what I own) are good brands (cost most) while Ive heard good about Champion and Predator etc etc . I suggest you purchase from a local established vendor like Home Depot or Lowes or ACE or Menards INSTEAD OF some unheard of brands sold on Amazon or E Bay JUST TRY AND GET WARRANTY OR REPAIRS if you buy one there GOOD LUCK with that lol PS  You Tube has hundreds of genset reviews and they are all right, think so lol

John T  NOT a generator expert, see what else any here have to say regarding your concerns

Yay!  You and all the others have pretty much answered all the questions I had about this issue.  Which I'm sure you're all quite happy about because I'll get out of your hair now.

I want to thank everyone for their input.  Happy trails, safe driving, and we will see y'all on the flip-flop!

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

1 hour ago, Tulecreeper said:

Which I'm sure you're all quite happy about because I'll get out of your hair now.

Answering questions and helping folks is what we are all about so please don't hesitate if you have more questions. We were all helped by others when we were new. It is the theme of the Escapee organization.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

30 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Answering questions and helping folks is what we are all about so please don't hesitate if you have more questions. We were all helped by others when we were new. It is the theme of the Escapee organization.

Oh, I'll have another one next week.  Everyone can take a breath now.

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

46 minutes ago, Tulecreeper said:

Oh, I'll have another one next week.  Everyone can take a breath now.

NOT a problem should you do so, ask away, myself and others will again be glad to help. FYI "some" Gensets come from the factory with a Floating Neutral, others a Bonded Neutral. I recommend use of a Bonded for RV purposes, and besides if you had an EMS monitoring the genset it would alarm were if Floating grrrrrrrrrrrr 

John T

I have a Westinghouse i4500 that’s worked well for me for coming up on 3yrs, under similar requirements that you mention 

Ron and Pat, and 2 Portuguese Water Dogs

2013 Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax w/SuperGlide

2005 NuWa HitchHiker DA 31.5 LK w/MorRyde IS

On 3/22/2023 at 6:00 PM, Tulecreeper said:

Thank you, Kirk.  That is exactly my thought.  While I really don't have a problem with 2 generators in parallel, I'm kind of leaning towards having to deal with only one.  I would also like it to have the 4-prong, L14-30R locking connector so I'm not dealing with a dogbone adapter.  And I would not see many situations without shore power and the need for both A/C's.  Your link above is not clickable.

I know of no RV with a 4-prong locking plug. Such a genset will require an adapter to an RV plug.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

I know of no RV with a 4-prong locking plug. Such a genset will require an adapter to an RV plug.

You are correct.

US Navy (Ret)

10 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

DITTO X2   Good neighbor Ray, "Most" 50 Amp RV's TYPICALLY use a 125/250 Volt 50 Amp NEMA 14-50P Plug, while I've seen 120/240 Gensets that have a 125/250 Volt 30 Amp L14-30R Receptacle. If you can't  buy a factory dogbone adapter, its so EZPZ to make one using 4 Conductor Cord with a Female NEMA 14-50R Receptacle (RV plugs to it) on one end and a Male NEMA L14-30P Plug (plugs into genset) on the other......If the genset has the capacity such is an easy way to use it to power up a 50 Amp RV using ONLY an adapter, just remember you only have 30 Amps per leg (subject to genset capacity) instead of 50 at an RV park.

John T 

22 hours ago, Tulecreeper said:

Which I'm sure you're all quite happy about because I'll get out of your hair now.

I'm just happy when posters return and participate.  So many times they ask, never to be heard from again. 

Edited by hemsteadc

37 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

I'm just happy when posters return and participate.  So many times they ask, and are never heard from again. 

Thank you.  Yes, I've seen that also.  It leaves those of us trying help hanging out there in the wind wondering if our advice was any good.

US Navy (Ret)

11 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

DITTO X2   Good neighbor Ray, "Most" 50 Amp RV's TYPICALLY use a 125/250 Volt 50 Amp NEMA 14-50P Plug, while I've seen 120/240 Gensets that have a 125/250 Volt 30 Amp L14-30R Receptacle. If you can't  buy a factory dogbone adapter, its so EZPZ to make one using 4 Conductor Cord with a Female NEMA 14-50R Receptacle (RV plugs to it) on one end and a Male NEMA L14-30P Plug (plugs into genset) on the other......If the genset has the capacity such is an easy way to use it to power up a 50 Amp RV using ONLY an adapter, just remember you only have 30 Amps per leg (subject to genset capacity) instead of 50 at an RV park.

John T 

My reason for saying that was, he is trying to eliminate using any adapter.

Tullecreeper, I'm presently looking at this gesnet: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pulsar-Products-GD400BN-4000W-Portable-super-quiet-Dual-Fuel-Parallel-Capability-CARB-Compliant-Inverter-Generator-ultra-lightweight-RV-Ready-4000-Wa/1183754793

It is actually a 3,000W continuous use model, that 4,000w is surge. It weighs less than 60lbs.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

14 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

My reason for saying that was, he is trying to eliminate using any adapter.

Tullecreeper, I'm presently looking at this gesnet: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pulsar-Products-GD400BN-4000W-Portable-super-quiet-Dual-Fuel-Parallel-Capability-CARB-Compliant-Inverter-Generator-ultra-lightweight-RV-Ready-4000-Wa/1183754793

It is actually a 3,000W continuous use model, that 4,000w is surge. It weighs less than 60lbs.

True, but I've come to realize I'm going to have to use an adapter between the 50A RV plug and the 14-30R generator recetacle anyway.

That's a nice genny, but a wee bit too small.  Thanks for the link, though.  I'll look at Pulsar now. also.

I did find that Ford makes a generator, too.  Interesting what you find when researching things.

Edited by Tulecreeper

US Navy (Ret)

On 3/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, oldjohnt said:

John T 

Yeah, I fabricated a pigtail for my dryer to run from my house generator's 14-30R receptacle.

US Navy (Ret)