RV Generator Size

I know quite a bit about generators - I have two, one for power tools, and one that runs the house through an emergency transfer switch when there is a power outage.  What I don't know about are inverter generators.

I'm thinking that even with a 50A service in my RV, a 4000W - 4500W (33 amps - 38 amps) generator should be acceptable. Even with two A/C's running, the odds of both compressors coming on at exactly the same time are slim. So, I'm looking for suggestions for that size genny that weighs as little as possible...say no more than 120-pounds. I don't have a 25-year-old back anymore. And again, thanks a bunch for the info!

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

1 hour ago, Tulecreeper said:

So, I'm looking for suggestions for that size genny that weighs as little as possible...say no more than 120-pounds.

We owned a class A with 2 air conditioners and it had a built-in Onan 4.5Kw generator that was always sufficient for our needs, even with 2 air conditioners running and a microwave in use. The front one was 15000 BTU and the rear was 13500 BTU and the microwave was 1200 watts. The larger a/c would typically draw about 13a and the front was about 10a with the microwave probably close to 12a. If all 3 had ever started at the exact same time it might have been too much but the compressors cycle on and off so if only the blower is actually running an a/c is probably drawing around 5-6a. An inverter/generator is rated in surg current and typically has a constant current capacity that is 15-20% less than rated.  Amazon has a 4500 peak, 3800 continuous inverter generator that weighs 92#. You might want to consider 2 smaller generators that weigh less but that can be run in parallel to supply the needed power. Doing that would allow you to use only 1 generator if you do not need to run the air conditioners. The other question is, how much will you be using the RV in situations where you don't have shore power but need both air conditioners? 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

8 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

We owned a class A with 2 air conditioners and it had a built-in Onan 4.5Kw generator that was always sufficient for our needs, even with 2 air conditioners running and a microwave in use. The front one was 15000 BTU and the rear was 13500 BTU and the microwave was 1200 watts. The larger a/c would typically draw about 13a and the front was about 10a with the microwave probably close to 12a. If all 3 had ever started at the exact same time it might have been too much but the compressors cycle on and off so if only the blower is actually running an a/c is probably drawing around 5-6a. An inverter/generator is rated in surg current and typically has a constant current capacity that is 15-20% less than rated.  Amazon has a 4500 peak, 3800 continuous inverter generator that weighs 92#. You might want to consider 2 smaller generators that weigh less but that can be run in parallel to supply the needed power. Doing that would allow you to use only 1 generator if you do not need to run the air conditioners. The other question is, how much will you be using the RV in situations where you don't have shore power but need both air conditioners? 

Thank you, Kirk.  That is exactly my thought.  While I really don't have a problem with 2 generators in parallel, I'm kind of leaning towards having to deal with only one.  I would also like it to have the 4-prong, L14-30R locking connector so I'm not dealing with a dogbone adapter.  And I would not see many situations without shore power and the need for both A/C's.  Your link above is not clickable.

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

buy a honda eu unit as they are the quietest (is that even a word?) on the market. $ad al$o the mo$t CO$TLY.

and if you ever need service, there are places to take it and parts are available.

but as to the ac units install a "soft start" on both of them. will help on the start up needs.

i had a tree fall on my eu3000, only broke a small bit of plastic, and it started with just a very easy tug on the pull cord, was not trying to start it just turning the motor to get oil on things. it had sat for many months.

but a eu3000, and a good sized battery bank just might do the trick. and yes I understand the bad back deal.

I bought a Westinghouse this winter. The smallest one that has 120/240 Volt 50 amp plug on it. It's a dual fuel and I think will work fine this summer with my Mini Split if I need it. My plan was to only run on propane unless I knew it would be running for  along time. Found out that won't work at 12 degrees. 

Didn't plan on being in such cold weather this spring, but you know what happens. The unit started up and ran fine for about 30 minutes on propane and then it would die. I got in at 10 pm so I restarted it a couple times overnight and then got some gasoline to put in it. Solved the problem. Ran fine for a few hours powering the Mini Split making heat and 3 resistance electric heaters. I think the max is 9500 on propane and 12000 with gas. Not sure it the cold affected the ability of a 1/2 full 20lb propane tank to supply enough gas or not. I'll try it out again the next time it gets cold, but will have a full tank and see how long it will run. 

The unit is not the quietest, but my 2 Honda 2000's won't generate the 240 volts I need. They certainly are much more quiet. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

52 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Amazon link works for me. Try again?

That one works...thanks.  Nice genny...doesn't have the 4-prong outlet, though.

Edited by Tulecreeper

US Navy (Ret)

46 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Champion has been my go to brand.  Found them to be reliable and long lasting while less expensive than Honda or Yamaha.  Parts are available in California from their warehouse if needed.

I like Champion.  I've been looking them.

US Navy (Ret)

23 minutes ago, lappir said:

I bought a Westinghouse this winter. The smallest one that has 120/240 Volt 50 amp plug on it. It's a dual fuel and I think will work fine this summer with my Mini Split if I need it. My plan was to only run on propane unless I knew it would be running for  along time. Found out that won't work at 12 degrees. 

Didn't plan on being in such cold weather this spring, but you know what happens. The unit started up and ran fine for about 30 minutes on propane and then it would die. I got in at 10 pm so I restarted it a couple times overnight and then got some gasoline to put in it. Solved the problem. Ran fine for a few hours powering the Mini Split making heat and 3 resistance electric heaters. I think the max is 9500 on propane and 12000 with gas. Not sure it the cold affected the ability of a 1/2 full 20lb propane tank to supply enough gas or not. I'll try it out again the next time it gets cold, but will have a full tank and see how long it will run. 

The unit is not the quietest, but my 2 Honda 2000's won't generate the 240 volts I need. They certainly are much more quiet. 

Rod

What model is your Westinghouse with the 50 amp outlet?

US Navy (Ret)

If you're worried about the air conditioners, add AC Soft Starts to them, then you never have to worry about that aspect.

We have a big ol' Momentum (with 3 AC's, not that we ever run all three).  With our 400 amp-hours of lithium batteries, our inbuilt Onan 5500 does a good job of charging us up in a couple of hours.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

11 hours ago, Tulecreeper said:

What model is your Westinghouse with the 50 amp outlet?

It's a WGen9500DF

9500 Watts Running on Gasoline with peak of 12500 Watts

8500 Watts on Propane with peak of 11200 Watts

Was going from memory on previous post. This is from the book. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

13 hours ago, Will B. said:

If you're worried about the air conditioners, add AC Soft Starts to them, then you never have to worry about that aspect.

We have a big ol' Momentum (with 3 AC's, not that we ever run all three).  With our 400 amp-hours of lithium batteries, our inbuilt Onan 5500 does a good job of charging us up in a couple of hours.

That's the plan, also.

US Navy (Ret)

3 hours ago, lappir said:

It's a WGen9500DF

9500 Watts Running on Gasoline with peak of 12500 Watts

8500 Watts on Propane with peak of 11200 Watts

Was going from memory on previous post. This is from the book. 

Rod

Thank you.  At 211-pounds, it's almost twice the weight I'm looking for.

US Navy (Ret)

Tule, great question here's one retired electrical engineers response:

1) Its not so much ONLY how big a genset needs to be for running two typical rooftop AC's,, IT HAS TO BE BIG ENOUGH TO START A SECOND AC WHEN THE FIRST IS RUNNING as the initial current surge when starting a compressor may be 3 to 6 times its normal running current !!!! The advertised CONTINUOUS POWER on Gensets isn't the same as SURGE RATING and when starting there is an initial much higher temporary surge current !!!!!! 

SUGGESTION add a Soft Start on BOTH AC units

2) If the full load running current on BOTH AC's was for an example in the 24 to 25 Amp Range AND BOTH HAD SOFT START to lower start up current surge (and no other loads running) as small as a 3500 to 3800 Watt Genset may possibly ?? get you by while Id prefer larger, maybe 4000 or more watts.

3) Speaking of adapters, realize a 50 amp RV with two AC's and a 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding  NEMA 14-50P Plug,, likely has one AC running on one leg L1 of 120 VAC and the other on the other leg L2 of 120 VAC. ALSO L1 is likely 180 out of phase with L2 so Neutral currents balance each other out...

SUGGESTION if you want plugging into the genset to be the same as a 50 Amp RV pedestal NO ADAPTERS NEEDED the Genset needs to be a full true 120/240 VAC Single Phase Three Wire with a NEMA 14-50R Receptacle (same as 50 Amp RV pedestal power)

CAUTION if you use some ?? sort 30 Amp adapters, make sure if you're running two AC's the Neutral conductor isnt over loaded !!! NOTE  a 30 Amp 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding Plug or receptacle, same as 50 amp, can (subject to source configuration and wiring) use two legs of 120 VAC out of phase with each other in which case Neutrals cancel each other, no problem. 

BOTTOM LINE SUGGESTIONS

If available and you want to be able to use the genset same as RV park pedestal and run two AC's with no adapters or phase or overloaded Neutral concerns GET A TRUE 120/240 VOLT SINGLE PHASE THREE WIRE GENSET (has two legs of 120 each 180 out of phase with other) WITH A NEMA 14-50R 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding Receptacle (same as RV pedestal)  

HOWEVER sure proper and adequate adapters or other plugs and receptacles can be used provided configured and wired correctly, AND PROVIDED NEUTRAL CONDUCTORS ARENT OVERLOADED.

I have a Cummins Onan Genset that's great, but believe Yamaha and Honda are good quality brands, some are well satisfied with Predator or Champion THIS IS YOUR CHOICE 

I recommend an absolute minimum of 3500 Watts (if full true 120/240 L1 180 out of phase with L2) BUT ACTUALY PREFER BIGGER, say 4000 or more Watts 

I recommend a Soft Start on both AC's

Best wishes, do your homework, choose wisely and post back any further questions..Im sure I missed some things so hopefully the other fine sparky gents can add more to this......

John T Live in the RV dry camped at Juniper Springs Florida

Edited by oldjohnt

19 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Lots of folks ask about running air with generators, but I've found very few actually do it.

This is true.

US Navy (Ret)

24 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Lots of folks ask about running air with generators, but I've found very few actually do it.

I dry camp often and ONLY AND RARELY if its EXTREMELY HOT maybe late in the afternoon for brief periods (brief cool down) HAVE USED MY CUMMINS ONAN GENSET TO POWER MY AC

Good point, I agree X2, have a good one

John T

1 hour ago, oldjohnt said:

Tule, great question here's one retired electrical engineers response:

1) Its not so much ONLY how big a genset needs to be for running two typical rooftop AC's,, IT HAS TO BE BIG ENOUGH TO START A SECOND AC WHEN THE FIRST IS RUNNING as the initial current surge when starting a compressor may be 3 to 6 times its normal running current !!!! The advertised CONTINUOUS POWER on Gensets isn't the same as SURGE RATING and when starting there is an initial much higher temporary surge current !!!!!! 

SUGGESTION add a Soft Start on BOTH AC units

2) If the full load running current on BOTH AC's was for an example in the 24 to 25 Amp Range AND BOTH HAD SOFT START to lower start up current surge (and no other loads running) as small as a 3500 to 3800 Watt Genset may possibly ?? get you by while Id prefer larger, maybe 4000 or more watts.

3) Speaking of adapters, realize a 50 amp RV with two AC's and a 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding  NEMA 14-50P Plug,, likely has one AC running on one leg L1 of 120 VAC and the other on the other leg L2 of 120 VAC. ALSO L1 is likely 180 out of phase with L2 so Neutral currents balance each other out...

SUGGESTION if you want plugging into the genset to be the same as a 50 Amp RV pedestal NO ADAPTERS NEEDED the Genset needs to be a full true 120/240 VAC Single Phase Three Wire with a NEMA 14-50R Receptacle (same as 50 Amp RV pedestal power)

CAUTION if you use some ?? sort 30 Amp adapters, make sure if you're running two AC's the Neutral conductor isnt over loaded !!! NOTE  a 30 Amp 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding Plug or receptacle, same as 50 amp, can (subject to source configuration and wiring) use two legs of 120 VAC out of phase with each other in which case Neutrals cancel each other, no problem. 

BOTTOM LINE SUGGESTIONS

If available and you want to be able to use the genset same as RV park pedestal and run two AC's with no adapters or phase or overloaded Neutral concerns GET A TRUE 120/240 VOLT SINGLE PHASE THREE WIRE GENSET (has two legs of 120 each 180 out of phase with other) WITH A NEMA 14-50R 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding Receptacle (same as RV pedestal)  

HOWEVER sure proper and adequate adapters or other plugs and receptacles can be used provided configured and wired correctly, AND PROVIDED NEUTRAL CONDUCTORS ARENT OVERLOADED.

I have a Cummins Onan Genset that's great, but believe Yamaha and Honda are good quality brands, some are well satisfied with Predator or Champion THIS IS YOUR CHOICE 

I recommend an absolute minimum of 3500 Watts (if full true 120/240 L1 180 out of phase with L2) BUT ACTUALY PREFER BIGGER, say 4000 or more Watts 

I recommend a Soft Start on both AC's

Best wishes, do your homework, choose wisely and post back any further questions..Im sure I missed some things so hopefully the other fine sparky gents can add more to this......

John T Live in the RV dry camped at Juniper Springs Florida

John, thanks...that's a lot of information.  I'm really good at home wiring, but the generator thing is a different ballgame.  I pretty much have most of that in mind, but you did straighten me out on the plug/receptacle issue.  I was wrong-thinking that I need a genny with an L14-30R locking outlet, but now I realize that this would just defeat the purpose of having a true 120/240 generator as the 14-30R can only handle 30 amps, so I would need one with a 14-50R receptacle and I've never seen a generator (at least a portable one) with a 14-50R receptacle.  So I guess I'm back to finding one with the 14-30R 4-pin locking outlet and a dogbone adapter for the 50R plug on the RV.

I guess I'm going to have to go with my original idea of a 4000W-4500W genny with a 14-30R receptacle, add a soft-start to each A/C unit, and hope I don't find myself in the position of having both compressors kick on simultaneously very often.

So, I'm still looking for suggestions/recommendations for a generator that fits that criteria, and weighs in at <120#'s.  And while I won't say that cost is not a consideration, I'm willing to pay more for the convenience/weight/watts and not have to worry in the future.

Thanks, again...great advice!  Much appreciated...

Edited by Tulecreeper

US Navy (Ret)

Thanks, again...great advice!  Much appreciated...

You're most welcome, and thank YOU for the kind words.

I pretty much have most of that in mind, but you did straighten me out on the plug/receptacle issue.  I was wrong-thinking that I need a genny with an L14-30R locking outlet, but now I realize that this would just defeat the purpose of having a true 120/240 generator as the 14-30R can only handle 30 amps. 

IT APPEARS YOU MAY NEED A COURSE CORRECTION FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING You may NOT be as wrong as you think !!!!!!!!!

NOTE a NEMA L14-30R is a 125/250 Volt rated Three Pole Four Wire Grounding Receptacle provided the source its connected ???? to IT CAN PROVIDE TWOOOOOOOOOOOO LEGS OF 120 (one for AC1 other AC2 just like a 50 Amp RV Park Pedestal just not as many amps per leg)  IE it can work and does not necessarily defeat the purpose......You are correct it "can only handle 30 amps"  HOWEVER thats two separate legs of 30 amps EACH provided the genset has such capacity ??? Its just NOT the capacity of a 50 Amp RV pedestal that has two legs but 50 Amps each

A genset that's true 120/240 (two legs of 120, each 180 out of phase with the other) that uses a L14-30R Receptacle can likely power BOTH your RV AC's, as each only draws maybe 10 to 16 Amps yet you have 30 available on EACH leg...

CAUTION NOTE the Amazon link Kirk was so kind to post above does NOT appear to be a 120/240 (120 leg only) yet it may well be fine if that suits your needs ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE THAT Im NOT commenting whatsoever on the quality or suitability of the genset link provided ONLY saying its NOT 120/240

SUMMARY iffffffffff you want to run TWO AC's with a single genset,,,,,,,,,,,, And be configured the same as an RV Park Power Pedestal with true 120/240 that has TWO legs of 120, one for each AC, each 180 out of phase with the other,,,,,,,,,,,,,You're probably looking at a minimum of 4000 watts maybe as large as 6000 or more (see whats out there),,,,,,,,,,And possibly equipped with a L14-30R 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding Receptacle, or it may have other combinations, but a single would be much easier even if you need a 30 to 50 adapter to plug the RV into. I still recommend a Soft Start just in case your genset may be marginally sized, likely fine without if its a bigger unit. I still recommend an Inverter Generator

RECOMENDATIONS: Im hesitant to recommend any certain brand let others do that. I WILL however advise you to look for A TRUE 120/240 genset,,,,,,,,,,At least 4000 Watts but it may take a 6000 or more to suit all your needs,,,,,,,,,,,,If it has the wattage capacity and is equipped with a L14-30R (in addition to other receptacles) that would be soooooooo easy to plug in a 50 Amp RV with only a single adapter (home made or manufactured). There remain LOTS of other options out there but Ive covered enough for now

Thanks again Tule, great questions and good follow ups, Im glad to help, God Bless you and everyone here, good bunch of gents all polite and willing to help out yayyyyyyyyyy lol I trust Ive explained your technical requirements now you and/or others need to decide on what make n model I dont like to make other peoples decisions ....... 

John T  Retired EE and 50 year RV owner

Edited by oldjohnt

50 minutes ago, oldjohnt said:

You're most welcome, and thank YOU for the kind words.

IT APPEARS YOU MAY NEED A COURSE CORRECTION FOR YOUR UNDERSTANDING You may NOT be as wrong as you think !!!!!!!!!

NOTE a NEMA L14-30R is a 125/250 Volt rated Three Pole Four Wire Grounding Receptacle provided the source its connected ???? to IT CAN PROVIDE TWOOOOOOOOOOOO LEGS OF 120 (one for AC1 other AC2 just like a 50 Amp RV Park Pedestal just not as many amps per leg)  IE it can work and does not necessarily defeat the purpose......You are correct it "can only handle 30 amps"  HOWEVER thats two separate legs of 30 amps EACH provided the genset has such capacity ??? Its just NOT the capacity of a 50 Amp RV pedestal that has two legs but 50 Amps each

A genset that's true 120/240 (two legs of 120, each 180 out of phase with the other) that uses a L14-30R Receptacle can likely power BOTH your RV AC's, as each only draws maybe 10 to 16 Amps yet you have 30 available on EACH leg...

CAUTION NOTE the Amazon link Kirk was so kind to post above does NOT appear to be a 120/240 (120 leg only) yet it may well be fine if that suits your needs ONLY YOU CAN DECIDE THAT Im NOT commenting whatsoever on the quality or suitability of the genset link provided ONLY saying its NOT 120/240

SUMMARY iffffffffff you want to run TWO AC's with a single genset,,,,,,,,,,,, And be configured the same as an RV Park Power Pedestal with true 120/240 that has TWO legs of 120, one for each AC, each 180 out of phase with the other,,,,,,,,,,,,,You're probably looking at a minimum of 4000 watts maybe as large as 6000 or more (see whats out there),,,,,,,,,,And possibly equipped with a L14-30R 3 Pole 4 Wire Grounding Receptacle, or it may have other combinations, but a single would be much easier even if you need a 30 to 50 adapter to plug the RV into. I still recommend a Soft Start just in case your genset may be marginally sized, likely fine without if its a bigger unit. I still recommend an Inverter Generator

RECOMENDATIONS: Im hesitant to recommend any certain brand let others do that. I WILL however advise you to look for A TRUE 120/240 genset,,,,,,,,,,At least 4000 Watts but it may take a 6000 or more to suit all your needs,,,,,,,,,,,,If it has the wattage capacity and is equipped with a L14-30R (in addition to other receptacles) that would be soooooooo easy to plug in a 50 Amp RV with only a single adapter (home made or manufactured). There remain LOTS of other options out there but Ive covered enough for now

Thanks again Tule, great questions and good follow ups, Im glad to help, God Bless you and everyone here, good bunch of gents all polite and willing to help out yayyyyyyyyyy lol I trust Ive explained your technical requirements now you and/or others need to decide on what make n model I dont like to make other peoples decisions ....... 

John T  Retired EE and 50 year RV owner

I have found several in the 4000W-5000W (working wattage) range that are 120/240 generators with the 14-30R outlet.  Not all of them are inverter-types, though.  So, other than cleaner electrical power for sensitive electronics what benefit does an inverter-type have over a standard generator?  I mean, everything being relatively equal - wattage, weight, run time - why would I pay 50% to 80% more for an inverter that does the same thing?  It's not always true, but inverter generators commonly cost quite a bit more than the others.  The stand-by generator I have for my house is not an inverter-type and it has done the job admirably for almost 10 years.

US Navy (Ret)

13 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

They're quieter, and in Eco mode use less fuel.

Quiet is always good.  Thanks, I'll have to check that difference out between the several of both kinds I have found.

US Navy (Ret)

If you read the reviews on Amazon the biggest complaint is no customer service or parts. I agree with the technical comments and reviews above.

I'll add only that I will not buy anything with a gas engine online unless they have a local service center with parts. I have bought my two 65" TVs online and most everything else including guns and parts/accessories for them. Just not gas engines. Or at least get a brand online with stix n brix stores and parts in the US. Caveat Emptor. For those it is worth the extra $50 bucks or more for help when needed. Returning online purchased gas engines requires draining all the oils and gas and packaging it for shipment. I went through that with Greenworks battery mowers and snow blowers and was a pain to package to return without the hassle of oil and gas.

Champion is sold by Home Depot so if a return is needed it is EZPZ. As already mentioned you can get parts for Champion. If you read the one star reviews on Kirk's page parts are a problem for that brand. As well rather than depending on an online reseller you can use any Home depot or other large chain in person like Lowe's for returns/parts/warranty service all over the country.

Safe generating!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire