Medications, medical, & dental work in Matamoros?

4 kidnapped Americans crossed into Mexico to buy medicine    March 6, 2023

CIUDAD VICTORIA, Mexico (AP) — Gunmen kidnapped four U.S. citizens who crossed into Mexico from Texas last week to buy medicine but were caught in a shootout that killed at least one Mexican citizen, U.S. and Mexican officials said Monday.

The four were in a white minivan with North Carolina license plates. They came under fire on Friday shortly after entering the city of Matamoros from Brownsville, the southernmost tip of Texas near the Gulf coast, the FBI San Antonio Division office said in a statement Sunday.

“All four Americans were placed in a vehicle and taken from the scene by armed men,” the office said. The FBI is offering a $50,000 reward for the victims’ return and the arrest of the kidnappers.

Mexican President Andrés Manuel López Obrador said Monday the four were going to buy medicine, “there was a confrontation between groups, and they were detained,” without offering details.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I heard one report of the woman going for a facial procedure.  That town hasn't been safe for years. I can't imagine anyone going there for anything.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I heard one report of the woman going for a facial procedure.

And the New York Post says one of the group was going for a "tummy tuck", so why were they there? The suspicious part of me is wondering if they weren't there for some other less savory reason. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

And the New York Post says one of the group was going for a "tummy tuck", so why were they there? The suspicious part of me is wondering if they weren't there for some other less savory reason. 

Until I hear more credible evidence I will believe they crossed for legitimate reasons. I know people that cross for medicines or medical procedures even now. I used to cross regularly for dental work. Maybe they did not know the the risks or maybe they did not take them serious. Horrible situation whatever the reason.

10 minutes ago, bigjim said:

Until I hear more credible evidence I will believe they crossed for legitimate reasons. I know people that cross for medicines or medical procedures even now. I used to cross regularly for dental work. Maybe they did not know the the risks or maybe they did not take them serious. Horrible situation whatever the reason.

I also think the best of people until known otherwise.

She went there a couple years ago for a 'procedure' so that turned out ok so she went back for another.

There are border towns that people cross daily for dental and meds.  They can walk over; don't need to drive.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I speak Spanish and unless I have to won't travel in Mexico until the opioid crisis is over here in the US. Why? Because when the supply dries up so have the Cartels that supplied them.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire