That feeling you get

runaway parents

Is just realized something. You know that feeling you get your stomach when you're sitting in the waiting room  Worrying about Is somebody at the hospital And what the results are gonna be. It's the same feeling you get when you're waiting in the waiting room of a truck shop Waiting for the results of your oil change And PM  kind of nerve racking.

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Gotta agree with spindrift.  In the truck shop, it's only money, not life/health.

1st of all you don't know me that well to make the judgment call like that. I spent 19 days in a icu with my wife while she recovered from 2 aneurysms and a stroke. I am fully aware of what the  difference is.  The point I was trying to get  at .was when your not made of money  and money  doesn't  grow  on trees  it can be very stressfull.

I understand, it's not a judgement call. Money doesn't compare to health.  We find ways to deal with a lack of money.  Health is tougher.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, jenandjon said:

Do your own service and then you won't have that problem. 

Good idea .the only reason  I am  not doing this is because I am not a professional  truck driver nor am I a professional  diesel  technician. Although I can change my own oil and run a grease gun.i figure  it doesn't  hurt to let the pros. Take a look at it.to make sure I am not missing something. I usually do this every couple  of years. Yes I admit  my previous comparison was a extreme one. And I ruffled  a few fathers  out there in the hdt world.But like I said before when you live in a world where money doesn't grow on trees  this can be nerve racking.

Well then, I think you very much need to find a way to start building a rainy day fund for your truck. EVERYTHING associated with an HDT ccosts more than what you may be accustomed to and things will break.

Best of luck to you.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

1 hour ago, spindrift said:

Well then, I think you very much need to find a way to start building a rainy day fund for your truck. EVERYTHING associated with an HDT ccosts more than what you may be accustomed to and things will break.

Best of luck to you.

Yes I'm well aware of how much HDT cost I've had mine for over 7 years .now  I've been very fortunate the only thing I've had to do to it is put a new transmission in it and believe you me they are not cheap.

3 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Good idea .the only reason  I am  not doing this is because I am not a professional  truck driver nor am I a professional  diesel  technician. Although I can change my own oil and run a grease gun.i figure  it doesn't  hurt to let the pros. Take a look at it.to make sure I am not missing something. I usually do this every couple  of years. Yes I admit  my previous comparison was an extreme one. And I ruffled  a few fathers  out there in the hdt world.But like I said before when you live in a world where money doesn't grow on trees  this can be nerve racking.

I understood fully what you meant.

I panic anytime something is different or strange with the truck, until I know for sure whether it can be fixed.

More importantly, can I afford to fix it.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

1 hour ago, Parrformance said:

I understood fully what you meant.

I panic anytime something is different or strange with the truck, until I know for sure whether it can be fixed.

More importantly, can I afford to fix it.

YES ! Somebody gets it thank you!

Edited by runaway parents

22 hours ago, runaway parents said:

YES ! Somebody gets it thank you!

I've been accused of being too rational many times, by many people.  But even I, can recognize a plea for understanding.

What if the turbo on my 2000 Volvo disintegrates and I'm faced with a complete engine rebuild or replacement?  That's not in my plans,  and it could be a major disruption in my life. 

But I vaguely remember a statement from a reliable source something like "most of the things we worry about, never happen".  If there's a major problem, you'll find a way to adapt.  It may be hard, but you'll find a way to cope with it.

Best wishes.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

10 hours ago, DanZemke said:

I've been accused of being too rational many times, by many people.  But even I, can recognize a plea for understanding.

What if the turbo on my 2000 Volvo disintegrates and I'm faced with a complete engine rebuild or replacement?  That's not in my plans,  and it could be a major disruption in my life. 

But I vaguely remember a statement from a reliable source something like "most of the things we worry about, never happen".  If there's a major problem, you'll find a way to adapt.  It may be hard, but you'll find a way to cope with it.

Best wishes.

Excellent comment! I've thought about that as well. Could I put a motor in? Yes, and without having to borrow money if I chose. But, I might just walk away from it too. I realize the objection to doing that is, "what about all I owe on it?" That is why I live by the Dave Ramsey principle of not borrowing money for "toys".  I never have. You just do without until you have the money to buy it.

I guess I don't get too excited because we have numerous pieces of equipment and at any given time one of them is in the shop. Right now, our Silage chopper is in the shop getting a head gasket. Also have 2014 Kw ISX Cummins in another shop. It was building pressure blowing the coolant out. Currently waiting for them to tell me if it's a head gasket or a dropped liner. 

What really sucks is the chopper got a new head gasket last year. Why is it blowing 2 in 2 years. I ran it personally. Never got hot never used oil. Looking at the side of the engine one morning and it's covered in oil and losing compression to the outside. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

40 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I guess I don't get too excited because we have numerous pieces of equipment and at any given time one of them is in the shop. Right now, our Silage chopper is in the shop getting a head gasket. Also have 2014 Kw ISX Cummins in another shop. It was building pressure blowing the coolant out. Currently waiting for them to tell me if it's a head gasket or a dropped liner. 

What really sucks is the chopper got a new head gasket last year. Why is it blowing 2 in 2 years. I ran it personally. Never got hot never used oil. Looking at the side of the engine one morning and it's covered in oil and losing compression to the outside. 

Ouch that going to take a  bite out your wallet.

1 minute ago, runaway parents said:

Ouch that going to take a  bite out your wallet.

I do have a question for you what do you do with your waste oil? When I used to change my  my pickup oil. I used to take it back to the automotive stores. After being burned on my last oil change I'm going to start doing it myself. Our automotive store don't take large quantities of used oil Any ideas?

Break it up in smaller quantities and go to two stores.

Often auto parts stores are near each other.

I have 4 vehicles, when I need to dump oil, I check which auto parts store is offering an oil change bundle.

When you buy your next oil change whilst dropping off oil, they never question me.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

52 minutes ago, runaway parents said:

I do have a question for you what do you do with your waste oil? When I used to change my  my pickup oil. I used to take it back to the automotive stores. After being burned on my last oil change I'm going to start doing it myself. Our automotive store don't take large quantities of used oil Any ideas?

Over the years, I've developed a list of local businesses that accept waste oil they use to heat their buildings in the winter. They don't pay anything, but they do take it off your hands with few limits on quantity.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Had to get a rig serviced on the road a few years back.  Sat in that same driver lounge when the shop foreman walked up, noted engine had a problem, Stripped oil pan for drain plug.  So asked to see the plug, when handed it over, all the pulled threads were balled up at the base of the head so asked when his ace tech was going to install my new free oil pan, as he evidently did not now On from OFF on the impact he used.  Guy looked at me as I pocketed the plug, saw the scars on my hands, asked how long I had turned wrenches.  Said never mind, would have it done by end of day.  Supplied the car for me to go into town and enjoy myself as well.

Service job got completed No Charge and I left with a new aluminum oil pan in place on a older 3406E.

On 3/3/2023 at 6:29 AM, runaway parents said:

Local John Deere dealer gave us 300-gallon tote. When its full they come get it and bring an empty. They run it in the shops waste oil heater. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 3/3/2023 at 7:29 AM, runaway parents said:

Our recycling center takes used oil, but I only did mine when my son had a shop that burned waste oil. 

The 10 gallons filled up a large tote which then he pumped into his storage tank. If I did it at home, I would have to buy a pump and smaller containers just to be able to carry it out to transport it some place. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.