Need Advice on Outdoor Kitchen

1 hour ago, Mr. Kelley said:

I DO plan on buying a generator but only to use when absolutely necessary.

Be aware that a generator needs to be exercised under load regularly. When we had one built in we would run it with the A/C when traveling from one site to another. That got the job done without irritating neighbors.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 2/27/2023 at 9:40 PM, sandsys said:

Be aware that a generator needs to be exercised under load regularly. When we had one built in we would run it with the A/C when traveling from one site to another. That got the job done without irritating neighbors.

Linda Sand

I was not aware of that, Linda, so thank-you. I learn something new everyday on this forum.

Mr. Kelley

Planning to retire in early 2024 and tour North America fulltime with my wife
Considering a fifth wheel (33-37 feet) 
Tow vehicle will be purchased when a final decision on the RV is made.

12 minutes ago, Mr. Kelley said:

I was not aware of that, 

Not so much true for the portable, inverter-generators as is true for the built into the RV generators. I have had several of both and the protables do pretty well with only occasional test runs as long as you always used fuel that is treated with a quality fuel stabilizer and if the generator is not fuel injected it is a good practice to always burn the carburetor dry of fuel.  The generators that are built into the RV should typically be run for about 1/2 hour under load, monthly. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I am sure by occasional you meant at least once a month? For those that took that to mean longer here is what the Honda manuals say:

"Run your generator at least once a month.

Running, or exercising, your generator regularly helps to insure it will start when you really need it. It lubricates the engine by circulating oil, runs fresh gas through the carburetor, and works to recharge the battery. This keeps the generator ready to go when the power goes out."

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/generator-operation

Safe Travels! (and long generator life)

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

3 hours ago, RV_ said:

"Run your generator at least once a month.

This is the same thing the owner's manual on my son's Cummins Onan gas generator says. He runs it on gas as he has a toyhauler and therefore has fuel in the gas tank on the RV. He also puts Stabile in the gas in case he cannot start it once a month like in the winter. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Thanks to everyone who added their insight. I learn something new every day I log onto this forum.

Mr. Kelley

Planning to retire in early 2024 and tour North America fulltime with my wife
Considering a fifth wheel (33-37 feet) 
Tow vehicle will be purchased when a final decision on the RV is made.

Something to consider....an outdoor kitchen consumes cubic feet of potential storage or living space.  Perhaps a small freezer night serve you better in the long run.  We put in one last fall.  I don't know how we got along without it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Personally, I would not have an outdoor kitchen.  It eats into valuable storage space as well as carrying capacity.  I guess if you are a weekend user it might be of some benefit.  But I carry a small portable gas grill and a small folding table.  This has worked since 1884 as well as 10 years full time living.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

45 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

Personally, I would not have an outdoor kitchen.  It eats into valuable storage space as well as carrying capacity.  I guess if you are a weekend user it might be of some benefit.  But I carry a small portable gas grill and a small folding table.  This has worked since 1884 as well as 10 years full time living.

Ken

I would guess that in 1884 a lot of campground cooking was done outside.  You were the exception.

3 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Ken

I just wanna be like Ken.... Dang, I thought I was already old.. Jay

3 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

I just wanna be like Ken.... Dang, I thought I was already old.. Jay

😉

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 1 month later...

My method is for RV's that have fast LP connection in their RV's. It's a useful addition because you don't have to make as many modifications to your propane tank. Step 1 - Connect the hose to your LP quick connect valve. Step 2 - Connect the other side of the hose to the fitting on the grill. Step 3: Light both sides and start grilling