RV frig in the cold????

rbertalotto

I'm leaving on a trip today from New England to the Southwest. On my trip, the weather forecast is  upper 20s to low 30s (F)  at night and 40-50 during the day. How cold (ambient temperature) can I operate my propane refrigerator/freezer?

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

The nightly low temperatures will be pushing the lower limit. I would cover about half of the ventilation openings in the access panel and it should do fine as that will probably keep it warm enough. Once you get south, remove that cover. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Don't worry about it... could even turn it off overnight.  The outside temperature is cold enough that things will keep cold enough.  Leave door closed as much as possible.  

Hope you're heading due south and then west to stay out of possible storms.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

The nightly low temperatures will be pushing the lower limit. I would cover about half of the ventilation openings in the access panel and it should do fine as that will probably keep it warm enough. Once you get south, remove that cover. 

X2.

RoyB,

The cooling system works by boiling the heat transfer liquid, then as it cools it draws heat from inside the freezer and refrigerator.

That is why covering the wall openings is advised, otherwise the heat transfer liquid cannot reach boiling temperature.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

7 hours ago, rbertalotto said:

Thank you all. I think I'll put something over the outside vent.......

Yes, South, then west....Easy travel...Route 40, 30, 20, 10......!

I don't understand 40, 30, 20, 10.

At this time of year, it's best to go south all the way to I-10 as fast as you can. From Minneapolis, MN, I always got on I-35 and just went SOUTH! Most places north of I-10 are colder than most RVers like.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

18 hours ago, sandsys said:

I don't understand 40, 30, 20, 10.

At this time of year, it's best to go south all the way to I-10 as fast as you can. From Minneapolis, MN, I always got on I-35 and just went SOUTH! Most places north of I-10 are colder than most RVers like.

Linda

I-40 to I-30 to I-20 to I-10 That is the quickest way to I-10 when you are headed to the southwest from the northeast. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

6 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I-40 to I-30 to I-20 to I-10 That is the quickest way to I-10 when you are headed to the southwest from the northeast. 

Those are all east-west roads and none of them go into the northeastern states. You must have some odd numbered highway, like I-95, to take you south first. I'd take that all the way down to Florida before turning west. Yes, it's longer but it gets you to warm faster. Which I would think would be your goal at this time of year; it would certainly be mine. But, you do you.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

You're probably on your way by now but another suggestion would be to just leave the refrigerator off and shop for your refrigerator when you get in milder weather.  It only takes a day or two before the bitter cold is gone.  In the meantime, fill a cooler with drinks and sandwich fixings, snacks, etc. and eat your main meals in restaurants for that first one or two days.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

7 hours ago, bruce t said:

What about the beer? How do you keep it cold if you turn your fridge off? 🤗

If it is that cold, just set the beer outside for a bit.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

5 hours ago, TXiceman said:

If it is that cold, just set the beer outside for a bit.

Ken

Or lay it in front of the radiator, remove immediately when stopped. Oh-wait, newer vehicles don't have that optional cooling place.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 1/23/2023 at 1:02 AM, bruce t said:

What about the beer? How do you keep it cold if you turn your fridge off? 🤗

I have a second fridge that runs off an inverter hooked to 2 250-amp hour AGM batteries.  That is where the beer goes. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

13 hours ago, jenandjon said:

I have a second fridge that runs off an inverter hooked to 2 250-amp hour AGM batteries.  That is where the beer goes. 

I respect a man who keeps his priorities in order.