Overloaded RAM truck snapped in HALF...comments??

Vladimir

There’s an updated article on Truck Camper Magazine about this incident.  It backed up something I had read on another forum written by a guy who used to repair trucks for a living.  Both he and the article in Truck Camper Magazine point to a fulcrum effect - a big camper with a large overhang, then a couple of e-bikes attached to a rack behind it.  Add to that a diesel engine, 4x4 and a custom heavy front bumper on the front.  That sets up a fulcrum with large weights on the front and back of the truck, causing the frame between the cab and bed to fail.

The article also pointed out the problem with going by truck manufacturer’s published payload capacity - when they say “up to xxxx lb payload” it usually applies to a specific configuration (usually a base model, standard cab, 2WD and a gas engine) and is rarely found on a dealer’s lot.  The camper owner had bought truck/camper combination without taking into account the payload figure on the door sticker, which was less than what he expected and less than the camper weighed.

There’s no mention that the front tie-down brackets had any effect - rather it was an overloaded truck with forces in the wrong place.

The owner ended up having a lot of luck - he found someone nearby who welded the frame with a temporary fix to get him to a Ram dealer.  Then when Ram refused to repair it under warranty (the truck was overloaded), his insurance paid to repair it and he got it home.

Truck Camper Magazine Ram 3500 Broken Frame Update

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

38 minutes ago, fpmtngal said:

There’s an updated article on Truck Camper Magazine about this incident.  It backed up something I had read on another forum written by a guy who used to repair trucks for a living.  Both he and the article in Truck Camper Magazine point to a fulcrum effect - a big camper with a large overhang, then a couple of e-bikes attached to a rack behind it.  Add to that a diesel engine, 4x4 and a custom heavy front bumper on the front.  That sets up a fulcrum with large weights on the front and back of the truck, causing the frame between the cab and bed to fail.

The article also pointed out the problem with going by truck manufacturer’s published payload capacity - when they say “up to xxxx lb payload” it usually applies to a specific configuration (usually a base model, standard cab, 2WD and a gas engine) and is rarely found on a dealer’s lot.  The camper owner had bought truck/camper combination without taking into account the payload figure on the door sticker, which was less than what he expected and less than the camper weighed.

There’s no mention that the front tie-down brackets had any effect - rather it was an overloaded truck with forces in the wrong place.

The owner ended up having a lot of luck - he found someone nearby who welded the frame with a temporary fix to get him to a Ram dealer.  Then when Ram refused to repair it under warranty (the truck was overloaded), his insurance paid to repair it and he got it home.

Truck Camper Magazine Ram 3500 Broken Frame Update

Excellent post! Thanks for the link to the article too! Hindsight is always 20/20.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 2/8/2023 at 6:02 PM, RV_ said:

Ray that link leads to a balloon festival article??

Drat_ stupid computer does exactly as told, when will AI start helping out. I corrected that hot link.

This link to edmunds.com seems to explain that article about Ram ratings. https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/features/no-go-for-standardized-tow-ratings.html

The RAM frame is 2 sections welded together just behind the drivers door on a regular cab chassis. Don't know about crew cab frames.

Sorry, I'm missing a source link, perhaps it is in one of my earlier replies.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 2/9/2023 at 12:32 PM, fpmtngal said:

Then when Ram refused to repair it under warranty (the truck was overloaded), his insurance paid to repair it and he got it home.

And I have a problem with that.  His insurance paid for his lack of responsibility.  He screwed up, but now the insurance company spreads the cost to all their clients, some of which may be you or me.  Why should we pay for his mistake?

Perhaps the fact that he's an agent (as mentioned earlier in this discussion) had something to do with it?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 2/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, fpmtngal said:

I wonder what kind of insurance he had. I have never had any automotive policy that would cover a failure of a part, towing to get to a repair facility but not the repair. Even with one of those extended warranty policies there is specific wording that says coverage will be denied in the event of abuse.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg