Hayes brake controller hooked into Johnson bar

runaway parents

I’m sure someone can help out.  There is also a local truck guy that builds beds and does other truck related work and service who comes by the rally.  A couple of his beds will be on attendees rigs this year.  If nothing else works out, he may be a good resource for you.  I can give you his information if you want it.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Don't hook it up there, use the supply line to the brake applicacation pressure guage. Less chance of getting on the wrong side of something there.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Don't hook it up there, use the supply line to the brake applicacation pressure guage. Less chance of getting on the wrong side of something there.

It's been awhile since I've even looked under the hood on that truck. It's been sitting for 3 months now and buried under a foot of snow. I don't recall how I got it hooked up, but it seems to work. But it would be nice if it's hooked into the Johnson bar. I think my pressure gauge is electronic there's no hoses going to the back of it. Just wires I think that was about a year ago since I had that opened up . I may be wrong might be something not worth messing with. Like the old saying goes if it works don't fix it.

2 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

I’m sure someone can help out.  There is also a local truck guy that builds beds and does other truck related work and service who comes by the rally.  A couple of his beds will be on attendees rigs this year.  If nothing else works out, he may be a good resource for you.  I can give you his information if you want it.

Hey thanks Chad. We will wait till the weather breaks. And the truck if not under a foot of snow . I could actually get working on it I'll let you know. Thanks again

The application gauge registers any pressure applied to the breals, whether foot treadle, or company stick.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Just before the brake light air switch is the place to connect the Tee into that line.  The truck brake lights come on whether you press the pedal or pull the Johnson bar.  Open the dash and look for the air switch (almost center and forward) with two wires on one side and a air tube on the other.  On the electrical side, one of the wires is a constant 12VDC.  The other wire is switched when the air pressure closes the switch.  Put a meter or test light on the wires.  Find the side w/o 12VDC.  Mash the brakes or pull the Johnson bar and see that 12VDC shows up.  Then you know you are working on the right air switch.   The switched side is also where you want to land the RED wire to the Hayes so if you use the Hayes override, it will turn on the brake lights.  

Merry Christmas to all!   Chet

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I'll second the air/hydraulic system, but it only works if you have hydraulic brakes, whether disk or drum.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net