What to replace old style control panel (tanks, battery, and test switches)

trimster

Need suggestions on which (if there are options) system to get where I can monitor more accurately, the tank levels, battery condition, etc. All those things that are on the older, awful, panels.

Thanks

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I would agree with the SeeLevel for your tanks and I believe that it can be connected to your current monitor panel if you wish. For your batteries there are quite a few choices on Amazon, with pretty much all of them better than what you have now, as it is just a cheap volt meter. If you don't plan to add solar then you probably should go with one of the more moderately priced units but I would go with either Renogy or Victron because of their reputations. There are numerous others out there which  cost less and most would probably be an improvement over what you have now. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Sea Level makes the best tank monitor in my opinion.  For battery monitoring, you want a Shunt based battery monitor.  My preference is Victron.  Their BMV 712 has a small remote display you can mount somewhere convenient or you can use the VictronConnect app with it via Bluetooth.  The SmartShunt just uses the app via Bluetooth with no physical display.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

1 hour ago, Chad Heiser said:

Sea Level makes the best tank monitor in my opinion.  For battery monitoring, you want a Shunt based battery monitor.  My preference is Victron.  Their BMV 712 has a small remote display you can mount somewhere convenient or you can use the VictronConnect app with it via Bluetooth.  The SmartShunt just uses the app via Bluetooth with no physical display.

Thanks Chad.  

I will be adding solar, so that influences what I get i think.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

3 hours ago, trimster said:

Thanks Chad.  

I agree with Chad on the BMV 712.  Chad installed my solar with the Victron controller and I added the shunt and display later.  I use the app to monitor my batteries and my solar.  I'm able to see the history of how much solar I have harvested. 

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

6 hours ago, trimster said:

There are a lot of solar users on this and other forums, but of them all I have found Chad to be the most reliable source and and very generous with his help. I do have an extensive electrical background. If you plan to add solar you won't go wrong with his advice. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

SeeLevel for tank monitoring.  For battery monitoring there are several shunt based options, ranging from the $25 Aili Voltage and Amp-hour meter to the $90 Renogy battery monitor with a graphical "fuel gauge" indication of the battery condition to $300 units by Victron, etc.  The thing I don't like about Victron's wireless Smart Shunt is it requires the phone to stay within Bluetooth range with the app running to use any of the advanced features beyond basic voltage and amp-hour readings.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Hey there trimster, good questions welcome aboard. I have a Renogy 500 Amp Shunt type Battery Monitor which has performed PERFECT and cost under 100 Bucks !!!!!!!!!  The price of solar panels has decreased drastically since I began as well as the many options, brands and prices of LiFePo4 batteries, charge controllers and Inverter/Chargers, do your homework, shop around and check out DIY Solar by Will Prowse over on You Tube for some expert tests and reviews plus all the fine solar and electrical minded gents on here. 

John T   BSEE,JD  Electrical Engineer and 50 year RV owner

Edited by oldjohnt

Thanks all.  Chad & i have chatted. Great resource. He's the best.

I've watched Prouse for a while now. Agree, he's got it figured out and is a grin.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

How do your folks suggest working with an enclosed underbelly on the trailer? Getting to the tanks to mount the sensors.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

You have to remove the underbelly. The worst part is finding something to put back up, depending on the age of your rig. My 2007 trailer had a plastic cardboard type of material. It was pretty tough, but some of the places where it was "Glued" in place didn't come apart well. Never know what you will find under there too. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We installed the See Level II tank monitors on our tanks, but somewhat lucky in that they were exposed from underneath but we did have to coat the sensors, once installed with undercoating per the instructions. We were able to use our existing wiring that went to our original monitor system. Our water pump switch was on our old system so when I used the See Level panel with a switch for the water pump, I had to use a relay as their switch could not handle the amps our pump needed. This is also covered in their instructions. 

Can you get to the side of the tanks thru any of your storage bays? If so you only need access to the side of the tanks to install the sensors. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.