Need advice for TPMS

Jeaneene and CJ

So hubby and I just purchased our first RV (used, but in really good shape).  I've never had an RV, but he had a park model years before we got together.  Anyway, I've been reading up and a Tire Pressure Monitoring System is *highly* recommended not only for the RV but also the toad (we would need a total of 10 cap sensors).  I was considering the TireMinder SMART TMPS but the Amazon reviews are as always a mixed bag.  Wondering if you kind folks might have any suggestions for a reliable brand that doesn't break the bank at $500 and up?

I have used the TST (Truck Systems Technologies) 507 system for about 9 years and it works great with great customer support.  Prior to that I had a Tire tracker or a Tire Minder and it was nothing but problems.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Another vote for the TST TPMS. We've been using our 10 sensor 507 system since 2013, and a 510 system before that on our previous motorhome since 2008. The performance has been very good, and the rare times I've needed to contact tech support, the response has been great, even getting a call back on a Sunday one time.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Have had the TST since about 2010, first for tires on fiver, upsized the fiver and tow, went to 10 sensors--6 truck, 4 trailer. Have upgraded to the color monitor and now have the 10 sensors on a 6-wheel motorhome and 4-wheel tow.  Once you get used to them, they work very well. Will not travel without them now.

Thanks all - the TST 507 was the other I was looking at, and he and I were just discussing the options we have for taking a vehicle with is cross country (flat towing my 2013 GMC Terrain, putting the Terrain on our car trailer, or purchasing a tow dolly and a small cheap car) so that will also dictate other factors for the TPMS.

This newb greatly appreciates your time and responses!

1 hour ago, Jeaneene said:

Thanks all - the TST 507 was the other I was looking at, and he and I were just discussing the options we have for taking a vehicle with is cross country (flat towing my 2013 GMC Terrain, putting the Terrain on our car trailer, or purchasing a tow dolly and a small cheap car) so that will also dictate other factors for the TPMS.

This newb greatly appreciates your time and responses!

99% of the people here will recommend flat towing when that is an option.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

10 hours ago, Jeaneene said:

(flat towing my 2013 GMC Terrain, putting the Terrain on our car trailer, or purchasing a tow dolly and a small cheap car) so that will also dictate other factors for the TPMS.

Your GMC can be towed on it's wheels so that may be a good option.

image.thumb.png.eaedb315df9c0ede0c4105705e4464c9.png

You have not said what sort of RV you purchased but since you are considering towing a vehicle, I will assume that it is a motorhome? One thing that needs to be considered if you plan to tow is that many class C motorhomes do not have much towing weight capacity while if you have a class A then you probably have enough to tow the 3,853# of your terrain. With all RVs you need to be careful of the weight ratings and not overload them. When you put any vehicle on a trailer that adds the weight of the trailer to the needed weight capacity that you need to be able to safely tow.  I suggest that you take the time to read this article explaining weight ratings before you make a choice.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You have not said what sort of RV you purchased but since you are considering towing a vehicle, I will assume that it is a motorhome? One thing that needs to be considered if you plan to tow is that many class C motorhomes do not have much towing weight capacity while if you have a class A then you probably have enough to tow the 3,853# of your terrain. With all RVs you need to be careful of the weight ratings and not overload them. 

Thanks @Kirk W!  We purchased a 1997 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 35W.  It is in excellent condition inside and out, and is mechanically and structurally very sound 🙂 ... Hubby's the one in charge of all the mechanical details, so I know he's on that (he did mention last night that the car has to be run for 5 minutes every 6 hours of tow time - though I don't know if he saw to remove Fuse 32!)

Edited by Jeaneene
added quote

I am partial to flow-through sensors, so when adding air to tires I don't have to remove the sensors.

That said, no more often than that is required, I'm still looking at Pressure Pro/tirepressuremonitor.com brand TPMS system when my present Truck Systems Technologies/TST system requires replacement. The total cost is really close to the same for either brand.

Pressure Pro was the first on the market with a TPMS, and as far as I know the only TPMS made in the U.S.A.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Jeaneene said:

We purchased a 1997 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 35W. 

What chassis is it on, Ford or Chevy? If a Ford it is an F53 chassis and has a maximum GVWR of 17000#. I believe that the GCWR for it is 20,500#. Here is a link to a copy of the chassis owner's manual that you can download.

If it is on the Chevy you have a P30 chassis which I think has a GVWR of 16,000# and the chassis manual says it's GCWR is 20,000#. If that is what you have you can download a copy of the chassis service manual here.

Just wondering how many miles the motorhome has? We owned a motorhome with the 1999 F53 chassis for 14 years and after we sold it I heard from the new owner that he was trading it off with 167k miles on it in 2018.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

5 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I am partial to flow-through sensors, so when adding air to tires I don't have to remove the sensors.

That said, no more often than that is required, I'm still looking at Pressure Pro/tirepressuremonitor.com brand TPMS system when my present Truck Systems Technologies/TST system requires replacement. The total cost is really close to the same for either brand.

Pressure Pro was the first on the market with a TPMS, and as far as I know the only TPMS made in the U.S.A.

I never saw much point to flow-thru sensors since you still have to remove a valve cap. My arthritic fingers actually find it easier to remove a standard TST sensor than a small valve cap. I don't use any locking or security measures on my TST sensors that would make them harder to remove.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 5 weeks later...

Linda, Be ware that when the repeater is installed, it becomes a parasitic load, meaning it will draw a slight amount of current all the time. You may wish to attach the repeater power line to fuse in a place that is easily accessible / removeable so when the Motorhome is not in use for a LONG period of time ( more than a month) your batteries don't drain a little.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png