Ian - Florida impacts

palmeris

Yep, looks like parts of FL will get the same damage Puerto Rico did; hope you include Puerto Ricoan's in your prayers.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Hopefully everyone at The Resort is long gone.....below is the latest weather alerts for their area.

.HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT... LOCATIONS AFFECTED - Wauchula - Bowling Green - Zolfo Springs WIND - LATEST LOCAL FORECAST: Equivalent Cat 1 Hurricane force wind - Peak Wind Forecast: 65-85 mph with gusts to 105 mph - Window for Tropical Storm force winds: early Wednesday morning until Thursday evening - Window for Hurricane force winds: Wednesday afternoon until early Thursday morning - THREAT TO LIFE AND PROPERTY THAT INCLUDES TYPICAL FORECAST UNCERTAINTY IN TRACK, SIZE AND INTENSITY: Potential for wind greater than 110 mph - The wind threat has increased from the previous assessment. - PLAN: Plan for extreme wind of equivalent CAT 3 hurricane force or higher. - PREPARE: Remaining efforts to protect life and property should be urgently completed. Prepare for catastrophic wind damage. - ACT: Move to safe shelter before the wind becomes hazardous. - POTENTIAL IMPACTS: Devastating to Catastrophic - Structural damage to sturdy buildings, some with complete roof and wall failures. Complete destruction of mobile homes. Damage greatly accentuated by large airborne projectiles. Locations may be uninhabitable for weeks or months. - Numerous large trees snapped or uprooted along with fences and roadway signs blown over. - Many roads impassable from large debris, and more within urban or heavily wooded places. Many bridges, causeways, and access routes impassable. - Widespread power and communications outages.

1 hour ago, palmeris said:

Hopefully everyone at The Resort is long gone.....below is the latest weather alerts for their area.

.HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT...

Here at the SKP Resort in Wauchula, many of us secured our property as best as possible and evacuated.  Some are staying.  We are all in contact via FB, message+, Constant Contact emails, etc.  Prayers for everyone in the path of the hurricane and best wishes that we all fare well at the SKP Resort in Wauchula. 

Hope we'll be able to return to the park and our SKP family and friends soon.

15 hours ago, palmeris said:

Thank you.  Our home base is just a few miles from The Resort and I have been looking for local information such as you shared.   Could I ask the source of your information?

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Roger are you guys OK?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

The SKP Resort in Wauchula fared remarkably well.  A few park models had some damage and one completely lost a Florida room.  A few trees were laid over but none landed atop any rigs.  The park has its own water and sewer system, so even though we are without power, generators are giving us water and sewer service.  We are far enough from the Peace River that it is not a danger to our park.  

Cracker Lake, however, is just up the road and is completely flooded.  So is Thousand Trails Peace River rv park.  

Our park was fortunate.  No one suffered any injuries, most of us had minimal, if any, damage, and all of us are anxiously awaiting power to be restored.

On 9/29/2022 at 4:20 PM, RV_ said:

Roger are you guys OK?

We stayed in the RV on the east coast (as recommended by the Governor).  Wednesday night and Thursday we had VERY heavy rain and winds about 60 MPH.  Other than some water leaks, we had no issues.  Lots of standing water and tree debris (nothing serious).  We never lost power in the campground but many others in the area did.

We heard from neighbors that some of my antennas were down but no other damage at the house.  Today we took a day trip over to the house so I could run the generator to power the chest freezer while I took down the remains of my antennas to prevent roof damage.  Lots of downed trees, power lines and flooded roads.  The good news is that power crews are working everywhere you look.  We had a heck of a time getting across the Peace river.  We had to back track a long ways to find a route that was not flooded.   

Power is out to the entire county and fuel is scarce so we brought along a bunch of 5 gallon gas cans for neighbors.   When we got back to the east coast we discovered there are fuel shortages here as well.  We got diesel at one station, but they had run out of gas.   A second station had gas (cash only), but no diesel.  I am hoping this is a temporary situation.  We need to go out tomorrow so will look some more.

So far this has been very similar to the Irma experience.   Both storms passed directly over our house but did very little damage.  Much of this can be attributed to stronger building codes post Andrew.  We'll take the RV back in a couple of days and use it as a lifeboat until power is restored.  We'll be well stocked with food, water, and fuel for the generators and treat this like a boondocking trip to Quartzsite. 

Safe Travels...

10 hours ago, Dennis Henderson said:

The SKP Resort in Wauchula fared remarkably well. 

That is great news and thank you for the update!

8 hours ago, k4rs said:

We'll take the RV back in a couple of days and use it as a lifeboat until power is restored.

Thanks for the information and update. For those like myself with faulty memory, where were you riding out the storm and where is your house located? Thank you for sharing!

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Our home base is the Avion Palms RV Resort in Bowling Green, FL where we have a park model. 

https://www.avionpalms.org/

According to Google Maps, we are 9.37 miles NNW of the SKP Resort. 

When the Governor said evacuate to the east coast we did exactly that.  We relocated to an RV park in Vero Beach, FL (about 90 miles east).   We had considerably higher winds than forecast.   The biggest concern was the tornadoes during the night.   Fortunately none touched down in our area (but some alerts were uncomfortably close).

Safe Travels...

SW Florida didn't fare any better than Pureto Rico;

This is video of Estero Island:

Time lapse video:

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Sumter Oaks web site says they are closed due to the storm. Is there some place where current info is published for this location?

[edit] We finally got through to them. They are open. They just can't find anyone to who is able to update the web site to remove the big "we're closed" banner...[/edit]

Edited by ekim

Facebook appears to be the communication of choice. Florida RV park and CG assn. has a facebook page with status postings.

update; Sumpter Oaks is not addressed on their page.

Sumpter Oaks webpage just says closed due to Ian.

Edited by Ray,IN

Good news!  Our power was restored on Sunday evening.  :D

On 9/30/2022 at 9:39 PM, k4rs said:
On 9/30/2022 at 9:39 PM, k4rs said:

We heard from neighbors that some of my antennas were down but no other damage at the house.  Today we took a day trip over to the house so I could run the generator to power the chest freezer while I took down the remains of my antennas to prevent roof damage.  Lots of downed trees, power lines and flooded roads.  The good news is that power crews are working everywhere you look.  We had a heck of a time getting across the Peace river.  We had to back track a long ways to find a route that was not flooded.  

On 10/3/2022 at 9:30 AM, k4rs said:

Good news!  Our power was restored on Sunday evening.  :D

So far this has been very similar to the Irma experience.   Both storms passed directly over our house but did very little damage.  Much of this can be attributed to stronger building codes post Andrew.  We'll take the RV back in a couple of days and use it as a lifeboat until power is restored.  We'll be well stocked with food, water, and fuel for the generators and treat this like a boondocking trip to Quartzsite. 

Safe Travels...

Thanks for the updates Roger, Good news in the current situation.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire