Problems downloading iOS 16? Here's how to fix it fast

RV_

"Desperate to get iOS 16 onto your iPhone, but it's not downloading? Here's how to get that update coming in quick!

Been hammering that update button on your iPhone trying to get iOS 16 downloaded but having no success?

You're not alone.

Fortunately, most people get their download working after checking and tweaking these simple things.

Also: Problems downloading iOS 16? Here's how to fix it fast

Step 1: Will your iPhone run iOS 16?

First thing to get out of the way is whether your iPhone can run iOS 16.

If you have one of the following, you're good to go:

• iPhone 13 / 13 mini / 13 Pro / 13 Pro Max
  • iPhone SE (2nd generation)
  • iPhone 12 / 12 mini / 12 Pro / 12 Pro Max
  • iPhone 11 / 11 Pro / 11 Pro Max
  • iPhone XS / XS Max
  • iPhone XR
  • iPhone X
  • iPhone 8 / 8 Plus

If not, iOS 15.7 is the end of the line for you."

The other six steps are in the article here:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/problems-downloading-ios-16-heres-how-to-fix-it-fast/?ftag=TRE-03-10aaa6b&bhid={%24external_id}&mid={%24MESSAGE_ID}&cid={%24contact_id}

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, DJW said:

Download went fine.  However I do not want to use a passcode but it seems to be required in the new setup.  Is there a way to turn off the passcode requirement?

Dennis

Not sure what you mean? It asks for a passcode to install it, it wants to confirm that the owner of the device want to install the update. Is that what you are referring to? 

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

No I do not believe so.  After installing you have to go through a whole new set up your phone.  Before when it asked you to create a passcode you could select other options and select not to use a passcode.  it will no longer offer you the option of selecting not to use a passcode.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

4 hours ago, DJW said:

No I do not believe so.  After installing you have to go through a whole new set up your phone.  Before when it asked you to create a passcode you could select other options and select not to use a passcode.  it will no longer offer you the option of selecting not to use a passcode.

Dennis

So I guess your saying that your phone is unlocked, that anybody could just pick it up and use it and gain access to your information and apps? If that is the case they might force you to password protect your phone.

Edited by rynosback

I installed IOS16 Monday.  It did not go through a new setup.  I use fingerprint option to access my iPhone SE2.  Sometimes, it asks me for passcode to open phone if my fingerprint is messy, most times not.  For some things, you have to use passcode to make changes to your phone.  It's always been that way for iPhones.

Under Settings, Touch ID and Passcode you can Turn Passcode Off.  I don't know what that means, but I would never do it.  To get to that setting, you have to enter your passcode.

Rynosback

Yes that is correct my phone is unlocked and you know why because it is a $%^&ing phone.  I say hello and I say goodbye on it.  I am not married to this bitch it does not follow me around, it is not on my night stand when I go to sleep at night, I don't check it every 30 seconds to see if the world is still here.  I don't use it's maps to figure out where I am going.  I had a flip phone for 15 years but the battery keep falling out.  I had hoped to wait until 7 G came out but being 72 I did not figure I would live that long so I went for the 5 G.  There is nothing on my phone that someone could gain access to that I would not tell them if they asked.  So yes I would prefer not to be required to punch in a 6 digit code to use a device I paid over $800 for just because some other dip !@#$ programs their life into a $%^&ing phone.

Dennis

PS:  That was fun to wright.

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Fun to say my phone, though I prefer the other OS, makes my life so much better. It allows me to have two major carriers active and seamlessly switches to the better at any given location. Coupled with Starlink, I am free to be mobile at will.

I tried the two carrier setup on the other OS, but those makers lock down features to appease the carriers.

While I plan on working for most of my life, it can be from anywhere at any time. More importantly, connected means we can get help wherever we happen to be, as well as get video chats from kids and grandkids no matter where we are.

just an opinion though, as I see the device as giving me freedom, not chains.

Edited by Payroll Person

1 hour ago, DJW said:

Rynosback

Yes that is correct my phone is unlocked and you know why because it is a $%^&ing phone.  I say hello and I say goodbye on it.  I am not married to this bitch it does not follow me around, it is not on my night stand when I go to sleep at night, I don't check it every 30 seconds to see if the world is still here.  I don't use it's maps to figure out where I am going.  I had a flip phone for 15 years but the battery keep falling out.  I had hoped to wait until 7 G came out but being 72 I did not figure I would live that long so I went for the 5 G.  There is nothing on my phone that someone could gain access to that I would not tell them if they asked.  So yes I would prefer not to be required to punch in a 6 digit code to use a device I paid over $800 for just because some other dip !@#$ programs their life into a $%^&ing phone.

Dennis

I get it.  Did you try the procedure that I spelled out above to turn off Passcode?  I'm not sure if that would work for what you want to do.

I am curious.  Why would you buy one of the most expensive phones on the planet, if all you really wanted was a basic phone without all the smart features?  They still make flip phones for those who feel like you do.  To each his own.

durangodon

A:  Because my wife of 54 years was on my @#$ about moving into a smart phone.

B:  I was told that my 50 year plus sons would communicate more and that the 3 grandchildren that I have in college would reply to grandpa's text faster than they would answer the phone.

😄  I had bought her a Iphone 12 128 GB and she thought I should have one

😧  I had cut back to 1 scotch a day and her pedicure account was now flush with cash.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

14 hours ago, DJW said:

Rynosback

Dennis

Well if you just use it as a #*@=ing phone, why update it? It’s just a thing that you make calls with. 
for some reason you seem like an angry person. Sounds like you need to visit a beautiful area that has no cell coverage. And by the sounds of it, you should take that trip with out your wife. I hope that you find a better view on life after that trip. 

Edited by rynosback

11 hours ago, DJW said:

durangodon

A:  Because my wife of 54 years was on my @#$ about moving into a smart phone.

B:  I was told that my 50 year plus sons would communicate more and that the 3 grandchildren that I have in college would reply to grandpa's text faster than they would answer the phone.

😄  I had bought her a Iphone 12 128 GB and she thought I should have one

😧  I had cut back to 1 scotch a day and her pedicure account was now flush with cash.

Dennis

I hear you.

For what it's worth, you shouldn't have to put in a six digit code to answer a call on any phone.  If you do, then it needs to be set up differently.  On my iPhone, I just tell the thing to call Dennis and it does.  If Dennis calls me, I just answer it.  No entering codes or fingerprints or facial ID or anything, just push a button to answer.

Or, maybe you're just having some fun with us over it all.

durangodon

Ya think?

rynosback

I don't know what #*@=ing is?  I do know what $%^&ing is and that was what I was doing with you.    It was early and I had not had my first cigar for the day and so sometimes I get a little playful before that first cigar.  And no I am one of the happiest people you will ever meet.  I have been waking up next to this drop dead gorgeous 72 year old chick now for 54 years.  Oh yes I am a Happy Man.

Be safe and thanks for playing along.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.