Avoiding Rockies!

khokhar

Hi everyone!

We are re-locating from Upper Michigan to Vancouver WA, with plans for starting the travel by the end of this month. We have Venture 220VRB sonic travel trailer (Briefly, 27 feet length, UVW 4460 Lbs., pulled with Ford F-150) that we will be traveling with. I will like to avoid Rockies ( and steep upgrades! ) on the way as much as possible ( I have travelled this destination via I-94/I-90 previously, but not with a camper!) . Will really appreciate any advice and expert opinion.

Thanking in advance

Abdul

What Linda said although you don't have to go that far south. If you cross them on I-80 it hardly seems like mountain driving. Don't forget that you will have to cross the Sierras as well. Personally I would go with US-2 from the UP to Duluth, I-35 to Mission Creek, the cut the corner to St. Cloud and pick up I-94, then on to Billings and pick up I-90. You will see some fantastic scenery along the way.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On hills get into low gear before even beginning the descent; not in the midst.  Don't ride your brakes.

Watch weather & work in some 'free days' in case you need to wait it out.

Since you're coming from the Upper Peninsula, MI I'd recommend taking Hwy 2 all the way across.  We've done this a couple times both directions & it's very pleasant. 

WA, Hwy 2:

Waterville-Orondo Hill:  A mile west of Waterville, 6% for 6 miles. It's a good 2-lane hwy with 35/40 mph curves all the way down the hill.  After 6 miles there's a sign "Stop sign 1 mile". A half mile later US 2 splits to the left & US 97 splits to the right.  Use caution.

WA, Hwy 2:  Stevens Pass, EL 4061' east of Skykomish, WA.  Westbound: 6.5 mi of 5-6% with 40 mph curves.  The first 4.5 mi are 4-lane.  Then 3-lane and then 2-lane.  

If sticking to I-90, the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers' states:

Idaho:  3081' EL; 4th of July Summit 28 mi. east of Coeur D'Alene, ID - 5.5% for 4 miles; 55 mph curves

Idaho: Lookout Pass, EL 4725' - at the Montana-Idaho state line;  westbound 6% grade for 2 miles * 5% for 3 mi with 2 runaway truck ramps

Montana:  Homestake Pass, 6375' EL; westbound descent into Butte is 3 mi of steady 6% grade

Washington:  Snoqualmie Pass, EL 3022', North Bend, WA, Westbound, 4 mi of 6% followed by 3.4 mi of 4-5% and 2 miles of 3-4%, then 2 miles of 2-3%

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

10 hours ago, khokhar said:

Hi Linda!

I-10 will be waaay too down  South for me to even think about. I was wondering if there is any "reasonable" alternative to steep grades in I-90 area while passing through Montana, Idaho and start Washington. 

Any thoughts about that?

Thanks for the input though.

It is the only way to avoid the mountains. Alot also depends on the time of year you are doing this. 

We did I80 and I84 to Idaho and I was surprised it wasn't that bad just a constant uphill that sucked the fuel down! But you have to watch for high crosswinds.  We only went as far as Caldwell Idaho so can't say anything about farther west. Bring snow chains if doing anything farther north if you are thinking about this in October or later.

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Thinking there's a maximum of 6% grade on interstate highways but also remember I 70 from Wheeling to Caberas exit is 7% so one way or the other I'm wrong.  What engine/transmission do you have in the 150 and is it in good condition?  Recent coolant and brake fluid changes?  Properly adjusted and maintained trailer brakes?  With due diligence and patience you should have no problems.  Do remember if you have standard drum brakes on the trailer they aren't going to dissipate heat like disc brakes will.

4ways and a low gear.  You can also flight plan to climb or descend the worse hills at night when it's cooler. 

Drivers have two choices around or over the mountain ranges. It's decision time.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Thank you 2gypsies, star dreamer, VC 23RSS and Ray for your valuable input and advises. appreciated!

2gypsies! Thanks for such detailed info on the roads and grades. I think of sticking to I-90 route

Star Dreamer! We are planning to leave by the end of this month, i.e. September, so hopefully will not encounter the snow/ice

VC 23RSS! I have F-150 4WD SuperCrew V8, 5.4, 6 gear transmission and has additional transmission cooling add up for pulling. Trailer brakes are good (so far!) but are not disc and are electric drum brakes, and probably going by night is not a bad idea for me ( if wife allows😉!)

Yup Ray! it's a decision time! 😃

If you drive like a truck driver with a full load on his trailer, you should be fine. When there is a hill to clime, following the trucks at there speed. it should help with your equipment.

When going do downhill follow the trucks. The ones that are loaded should be going at a respectable speed. Use the appropriate gear for doing the speed you need. If your brakes get hot, then apparently your were going too fast and using your brakes to much.

Make sure your trailer brakes area working. Stop at the pull offs at the top of inclines, leave the engine cool down. Do not turn it off. Just let it idle. 

Then when you start again  test your trailer brakes. Activate you trailer brakes separately from your truck brakes. To make sure they are working properly.

Also make sure the trailer brakes are adjusted properly for there amount of braking. 

Also a inferred thermometer would be of great help to determine your wheel bearing, tire and brake temperatures. This should be done at every stop. It may catch a minor problem before it turns into a big problem.

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

If you drive like a truck driver with a full load on his trailer, you should be fine. When there is a hill to clime, following the trucks at there speed. it should help with your equipment.

When going do downhill follow the trucks. The ones that are loaded should be going at a respectable speed. Use the appropriate gear for doing the speed you need. If your brakes get hot, then apparently your were going too fast and using your brakes to much.

Make sure your trailer brakes area working. Stop at the pull offs at the top of inclines, leave the engine cool down. Do not turn it off. Just let it idle. 

Then when you start again  test your trailer brakes. Activate you trailer brakes separately from your truck brakes. To make sure they are working properly.

Also make sure the trailer brakes are adjusted properly for there amount of braking. 

Also a inferred thermometer would be of great help to determine your wheel bearing, tire and brake temperatures. This should be done at every stop. It may catch a minor problem before it turns into a big problem.

Although this is generally great advice, I would caution against following trucks downhill. Since the adoption of Jake brakes, most truck drivers fly down hills at rather crazy speeds, leaving no margin for error. I've seen the results of that, with multiple trucks piled into each other. The old school way is to go downhill in about the same gear as you want up. Regardless, it's important to slow down and be careful. Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Although this is generally great advice, I would caution against following trucks downhill. Since the adoption of Jake brakes, most truck drivers fly down hills at rather crazy speeds, leaving no margin for error. I've seen the results of that, with multiple trucks piled into each other. The old school way is to go downhill in about the same gear as you want up. Regardless, it's important to slow down and be careful. Jay

Yes. Don't be afraid to manually shift your automatic transmission. Let the gearing and back pressure on the engine do as much of the braking as you can. If you feel the need to brake to slow down lightly PUMP your brakes. That will prevent them from overheating. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

The best way to get down a steep grade is to gear down to where your speed only slowly increases and when time to brake do so sharply to bring speed down by 10 mph or so, then stay off of the brakes until the speed is back to where you started. Doing so in that manner will allow the brakes time to cool between uses. Also with hydraulic brakes you should replace the hydraulic fluid before your trip if it has been 5 years or more since last changed. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Many years ago I was driving a drilling rig over a mountain pass. Really nice sunny day. Looking at al the scenery. Had it in a medium gear .probably in sixth. It was a ten speed.

Well I finally decided that my brakes were fading. By that time it was too fast to get in a lower range to gear down. But that day luck was on my side. I had climbed the curvy side of the pass and now was going down the side of the mountain that had a long gradual decline. It took better than 2 miles till i had brakes again.

If it was the side I came up I was thinking it may be time to bail.

A very thoughtful lesson that day. 

Keep in your mind you can always speed up descending a grade if you have started down slowly then realize you can safely go faster. If you start down too fast it's difficult to safely reduce speed.

I assume your truck has tow/haul mode, use it all the time in hilly/rolling terrain.  You don't want the tranny hunting between gears, it generates a lot of heat.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961