ZEP Acrylic Floor Wax

JimK

At this time of year many of us are cleaning up our RVs and getting ready for warm weather RV travel.  I posted my recommendations on a different forum and thought it might be of interest here.

Six or seven years ago, I did my Spring cleaning including washing and waxing the RV.  I used a popular "premium flagship" wax and was disappointed with the results.  Even after two full rubbed on coats the results were splotchy and uneven.  I used lots of ammonia and wax stripper and recoated with Zep.  I applied several very thin coats.  Now all of these years later the finish still looks great with no flaking, no yellowing or deterioration of any kind.  The black streak problem is gone.  Streaks and dirt just rinse off even without using soap or a mop.  Every year or so, typically in the Spring, I do a thorough washing and re-apply another thin coat of Zep.  There is minimal work with no buffing or rubbing needed.  I just wipe down the RV with a rag lightly dampened with Zep.

If you decide to try Zep, proper surface prep is essential.  As with any wax job, you first need to scrub off any dirty and oxidized areas and of course also remove those black streaks.  There is one additional step.  You need to go over the entire RV a couple of times with a mop and dilute ammonia or other wax stripper.  You also need to plan on doing at least 3-4 thin coats of Zep with about an hour of dry time between each coat.  

I think you have found an alternative to a process I used some years back with a product called PoliGlo.  They supply a mild acid based cleaner and the finish is applied just as you indicated.  When I was using it, it reminded me of liquid Johnson Floor wax.  I found it to work well and yes, several coats were required for best results.  I did not discover how long it lasted as the results were so good on that trailer(2004 Alfa) that someone took note and bought it from me at a profit on my end.  

I have read about this product and have wondered about its durability.  Thanks for answering that question esp now that I am in the process of doing some restoration to the exterior of my 2008 Teton.

Marcel

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

I think you have found an alternative to a process I used some years back with a product called PoliGlo.  They supply a mild acid based cleaner and the finish is applied just as you indicated.  When I was using it, it reminded me of liquid Johnson Floor wax.  I found it to work well and yes, several coats were required for best results.  I did not discover how long it lasted as the results were so good on that trailer(2004 Alfa) that someone took note and bought it from me at a profit on my end.  

I have read about this product and have wondered about its durability.  Thanks for answering that question esp now that I am in the process of doing some restoration to the exterior of my 2008 Teton.

There's been some speculation over the years that PoliGlo was repackaged ZEP, although I've never seen anything to back that up. Lowes "Red Max" was indeed private labeled ZEP, and at some point it no longer made sense for Lowes to keep the Red Max brand, switching instead to the standard ZEP branded products.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

FYI:

"JimK"  posted the (almost) identical info on RV.Net (Open Roads Forums) -  as "JimK-NY".  The thread title is "Zep Floor Wax Update",  and found in the General RVing Issues forum.

His thread has received additional replies & comments there - if anyone is interested...😉

Edited by Pappy Yokum
Condensed!

There are numerous posts in past years on irv2.com complaining about poor results. This floor wax seems to lack any UV resistance from the posts I've read.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

There are numerous posts in past years on irv2.com complaining about poor results. This floor wax seems to lack any UV resistance from the posts I've read.

Yep (that's "yep", not Zep, LOL!) - the positives should be weighed against the negatives - both old & new.

Ya gotta decide what you are willing to believe - before your roll the dice....and put in whatever effort req'd for your wax (or Zep) job.

About 100 posts (for a poll?) would be a good start !!

I had very good results with Zep wax on a previous rig.  I scrubbed the coach with Bar Keepers Friend to get all the years of built up chalking and black streaks then wiped it down with ammonia.  It was easy to put on multiple light coats and it lasted well.

14 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Anyone checking the forums will find some negative comments and also find that many of us have had great success:  little or no maintenance, no flaking, no yellowing and durability lasting for years and years.  I believe most of the different results are due to surface prep.  It is essential to strip off old carnauba wax.  A heavily wax RV will take several moppings with stripper or dilute ammonia.  I would even recommend scrubbing the entire RV with Bar Keepers Friend or Bon Ami and a kitchen scrubber. 

If you do a google search you will also find some interesting facts on UV.  First, acrylics are highly effective in blocking UV light.  No additives are needed for an acrylic finish.  Second, you can find studies on the effectiveness of UV additives in carnauba wax products.  The additives are minimal, mostly there for advertising purposes, and even the minimal UV protection deteriorates within a few weeks.

That said, I do agree that Zep is not for everyone.  The shine may not last for long, but a carnauba wax finish can have more shine than a Zep finish.  Some people enjoy waxing the RV.  I have a neighbor that does.  He goes on short trips several times a year and washes and waxes before every trip.

I've been looking for this product and cant seem to find it, unless I am not looking for the correct product.  I had some that I used to wax a new VCT floor in a rental unit and it worked well, but used it all.  I wanted some to try on my current 5er.

Anybody have a link??

Marcel

ZEP has a sealer they recommend using first and then the Acrylic ZEP wax.  Does anyone use the first coat sealer before applying the wax? 

Be careful with ammonia or wax strippers as they will turn bare polished aluminum dull within a few days.

Edited by RandyA

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

3 hours ago, rpsinc said:

I've been looking for this product and cant seem to find it, unless I am not looking for the correct product.  I had some that I used to wax a new VCT floor in a rental unit and it worked well, but used it all.  I wanted some to try on my current 5er.

Anybody have a link??

Zep products are sold at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart and most hardware stores including Ace.  There are a couple of formulations that seem quite similar.  I have used the high traffic floor finish.  There is another formulation called wet look.

☺️

I have a vinyl floor in my RV but have never bothered with using floor wax.  Instead I bought a piece of indoor/outdoor carpeting and cut it to fit the irregular floor shape.  I can pull it out and shake or beat the dirt out.  After considerable use, I usually take it out, hose it down and hang to dry.  I have traveled with house trained cats but never with a dog.

Jim, they are discussing using the ZEP floor way on the exterior of the RV.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

14 hours ago, JimK said:

Zep products are sold at Lowe's, Home Depot, Walmart and most hardware stores including Ace.  There are a couple of formulations that seem quite similar.  I have used the high traffic floor finish.  There is another formulation called wet look.

I am aware of those options but I have seen them needing periodic maintenance and burnishing.  Not what I think I need.

Marcel