dish network satelite

Kenber

You'll need a dish to connect to the receiver to receive your Dish sat service while you're camping. Many RV'ers do exactly what you're thinking of, and there's no need to tell Dish anything unless you want to change your service address to get the local stations where you are. Which dish will work best for you depends on which receiver you have. The only ones that will work with all Dish receivers are the portable manually aimed full sized dishes or the roof mounted automatic aiming full sized dishes such as the Winegard Trav'ler. A manually aimed portable dish setup can be dine for less than $200, while the Trav'ler will run around $2,000 installed. If you have a non-Hopper receiver, there are self-aiming portable "dome" dishes in the $300-$500 range.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

https://winegard.com/plans/satellite-tv/dish

Here is a list of Winegard antennas and Dish receiver compatibility.

If you call Dish they will tell you not to use the home receiver in an RV.  Pure manure.  We have been using the home receiver in an RV for 15 years.  If you use a home receiver, with a DVR, it will have a hard disk drive which can be damaged if it is left power up while traveling.  We have an inverter in our trailer and I just unplug the receiver while traveling.

The Hopper receivers will only work on a special Traveler or a modified Traveler antenna or a manual home style antenna.  Currently, none of the automatic dome antennas will work with a Hopper.  You will have to use a Wally or a VIP211 receiver with the portable automatic antennas.

As for the local channels, we are full-time, and we just call Dish with a new service address, and they are up and running in about 15 minutes.

If you have Dish at home, you can add a mirrored receiver for a few dollars a month and buy a Wally for the RV.  They will mirror the existing home service.

The Dish internet is only for home service and will not work on the road.

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

2 hours ago, Kenber said:

Also was interested in the quality of Dish Netwotk internet. They state speed of up to 1 gig. Is that right?

DishNet uses HughesNet and Viasat as their satellite Internet providers, but I have no experience with either one. A 1 gig speed claim is likely related to the cable Internet services they also contract with for home service. I use AT&T and Verizon cell data services for Internet. Starlink from SpaceX is showing a lot of promise as the next best mobile satellite Internet service, but their not quite ready to enter that market yet.

https://my.dish.com/internet

Dutch

20 hours ago, Kenber said:

I think Dish doesn't allow you to take home receivers from home and use them on the road

We've been doing so for years.  We even contact Dish when we travel to update our service address so that we can receive the locals for the locations we're in.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

20 hours ago, Kenber said:

Also was interested in the quality of Dish Netwotk internet. They state speed of up to 1 gig. Is that right?

I haven't used Dish Internet, but I believe it's for a fixed location and is not mobile.  You might want to contact them to inquire about this.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

It has been a couple of years but when I inquired about Dish internet it was location specific.   In our location it was provided by Hughes Net.  I ended up with Hughes Net but direct with them.  I will be looking into Starlink this summer.  Hughes Net is slow, unresponsive and expensive in my opinion. 

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

1 hour ago, Randyretired said:

It has been a couple of years but when I inquired about Dish internet it was location specific.   In our location it was provided by Hughes Net.  I ended up with Hughes Net but direct with them.  I will be looking into Starlink this summer.  Hughes Net is slow, unresponsive and expensive in my opinion. 

Isn't Starlink location specific, for now?

4 hours ago, durangodon said:

Isn't Starlink location specific, for now?

Yes, I should have been clearer.  Both Dish (Hughes Net) and Starlink are location specific.   Hughes Net does have a portable option but it has a significant equipment cost and then the service cost.  Slow and each plan has a limited amount of data. I will try to get away from Hughes Net at our mountain property.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 1/24/2022 at 2:00 PM, Kenber said:

or could I use them in my home package and just have them reprogrammed?

No "reprogramming" needed. Just install the receivers and dish in your home and keep on paying the bill as usual. You may need to change your service address to your home address, but that's a simple process.

Dutch

The only reprogramming that will be needed is if you are using a different antenna on the road than at home.  When you hook up the receiver to the portable antenna, you will need to go into the set-up menu and let the receiver scan and locate the new switch settings on the smaller antenna.  When you return home, you will need to do a new switch scan.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Actually from what i researched Skylink is sorta mobile. At home when set up you look for open (sat/sattelite) for service. Understand it is a grouping service. What you log on to looks for open sat. If one open you good. If not look for different location. Repeat until you find one. When you travel to new location one would just have to go thru all the set ups again. So yes you can take it with you. Play video just a few posts down. Explains it good.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

21 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Actually from what i researched Skylink is sorta mobile. At home when set up you look for open (sat/sattelite) for service. Understand it is a grouping service. What you log on to looks for open sat. If one open you good. If not look for different location. Repeat until you find one. When you travel to new location one would just have to go thru all the set ups again. So yes you can take it with you. Play video just a few posts down. Explains it good.

With all due respect, Starlink does not work by looking for an open satellite.  Unlike geosynchronous satellite systems, there aren't any fixed satellites above you; they are constantly moving into and out of your field of view.  The dish doesn't focus a satellite in the traditional sense; it is a phased array that steers its beam electronically.

If anyone has more of an interest in what the Starlink constellation and its ground stations looks like, I suggest starting here:  Starlink satellite position real-time  Find your current location and expand the map so you can see the details of which satellites are near you and watch them move in and out of position.  When you're using the system there's no way to know which satellite you're connected to at any particular moment.

Since I actually have a Starlink system, let me explain how the issue of changing locations works.  Initially, your system is assigned to your home location.  There is no "searching about for an open satellite"; it simply will work when you plug it in that process typically takes <15 minutes.  If you stay at your home location that's all there is to it.

If you choose to move about with it, your effective radius will be about 20 miles around your home site; beyond that it will stop working.  If you want to take it with you on a trip you can go to a webpage where you can request a relocation.  Your new location can be input by street address or coordinates.   You input the proposed new location and the system will tell you if there is a "slot" for you in that area.  If there isn't you can try somewhere else.  Some RVers that I am aware of are essentially planning their trips by where they can get approved locations.

There is one small caveat to this, however.  If you have a home base and choose to come back to it, there is no guarantee that a slot will exist for you to return to.  You could find that others have entered the area and have used up the available slots.  Apparently in FL at the moment this is a serious issue.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Another option is if you have internet and a smart tv you can access the Dish Anywhere app and watch via your receiver at home.  It has to be run on a phone or tablet but you may be able to project to the smart tv from your devise.  You can also access Dish Anywhere from a browser on a smart tv.  But all if dependent on if you have decent speed internet.