Anyone using a portable power station?

Kirk W

I have not yet seen any of them but if you do a lot of desert dry camping, might this not be an answer to power problems, rather than a generator as most of us have used?

Goal Zero         Jackery                   Zwndure

lighter

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Lots of "overlanding" folks are using them. I had a small 300Wh one for a while that was useful when jeep tent camping, but ended up getting rid of it and replaced with an AGM in a trolling motor battery box so I could charge it at higher amps from the alternator, and also as a potential 2nd battery to do 24v portable welding with jumper cables and welding rod.  But I've been very interested in the drop in lithium replacements for the AGM in the box as well as the AGM in my camper.  

I'd be interested in this too from folks using them. I bought a Greenworks Inverter that uses my 6Ah 60 volt batteries and it would not even run my router it uses a 12v 2Amp wall wart 115v power supply during our one power outage this year! I haven't taken the time to do a full multi-meter check on it but it is under warranty and likely defective. This one https://www.greenworkstools.com/pro-60v-300-watt-inverter-2950102t

I have their 60v Snow blower and Mower which all came with those batteries. I am looking at battery, possibly solar charging, power supplies too. 

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-300-portable-power-station

I bought this one for use with my telescopes, computers, etc. etc.  Check out the front panel.  USB ports, 12 volt output and 120V outputs.

It is small.  Check out the measurements.  I keep it under the table in my Casita trailer. 

It is REALLY handy to be able to plug in my phone, my IPAD my computer, my dog's good citizenship collar and controller at the same time!!!

I am impressed it works great.  I can even charge it with my solar panel, while using it.  

The only downside.  It is a Lithium battery.  No charging under 32 degrees.

I am not sure that I would buy a larger one.  Those are as big and heavy as a Honda 2000.  In that case, I want my Honda 2000.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

These are nothing more than a battery and inverter in a fancy box.  You still need a way to recharge the battery.  That may be plugging the “box” into th3 grid or attaching a solar panel with a charge controller.  Some of the fancier ones have a built in charge controller, so all you need to do is connect a panel.  

If you really want portable power like this, you can make a very functional one on your own for much cheaper.  If portability isn’t as big of a concern and you just want power for or in your RV while off grid, you are better off putting the money into a system in your RV (IMHO).

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

19 hours ago, Vladimir said:

https://www.jackery.com/products/explorer-300-portable-power-station

I bought this one for use with my telescopes, computers, etc. etc.  Check out the front panel.  USB ports, 12 volt output and 120V outputs.

It is small.  Check out the measurements.  I keep it under the table in my Casita trailer. 

It is REALLY handy to be able to plug in my phone, my IPAD my computer, my dog's good citizenship collar and controller at the same time!!!

I am impressed it works great.  I can even charge it with my solar panel, while using it.  

The only downside.  It is a Lithium battery.  No charging under 32 degrees.

I am not sure that I would buy a larger one.  Those are as big and heavy as a Honda 2000.  In that case, I want my Honda 2000.

Only quoted this post as it's a link to "Power Stations".  (There are other brands).

Lately there have been "problems" with "things" powered by Lithium batteries, from E-bikes to Chevy Bolt vehicles - - not just the recall/s - but "explosions" on the assembly line.  Chevy advises owners not to charge or store owner's vehicles close to other vehicles -or- in the owner's garages!

Some Tesla vehicles have done the same - ex:  The Tesla which started a fire in a garage in Orange Co., CA.

An example of smaller batteries starting fires - is the dive boat fire resulting in multiple fatalities in Santa Barbara, CA.

IMO: I don't have a dog (or battery, or vehicle) in the "fight" - but *if* I had an electric vehicle, e-bike, or power station, it would be charged and stored outside.  Guess if you're really in cold country - the Jackery needs its own outdoor "warming hut" for charging.

For the price of the Jackery in Valadimir's post - I would save the $$, and (also) continue to  rely on my gasoline powered generator/s.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:51 PM, Pappy Yokum said:

Lately there have been "problems" with "things" powered by Lithium batteries, from E-bikes to Chevy Bolt vehicles - - not just the recall/s - but "explosions" on the assembly line.  Chevy advises owners not to charge or store owner's vehicles close to other vehicles -or- in the owner's garages!

Some Tesla vehicles have done the same - ex:  The Tesla which started a fire in a garage in Orange Co., CA.

An example of smaller batteries starting fires - is the dive boat fire resulting in multiple fatalities in Santa Barbara, CA.

IMO: I don't have a dog (or battery, or vehicle) in the "fight" - but *if* I had an electric vehicle, e-bike, or power station, it would be charged and stored outside.  Guess if you're really in cold country - the Jackery needs its own outdoor "warming hut" for charging.

For the price of the Jackery in Valadimir's post - I would save the $$, and (also) continue to  rely on my gasoline powered generator/s.

More Than 150 Gas Car Fires Per Day — Can We Please Get Serious About Electric Car Battery Fires?

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/06/03/500-gas-car-fires-per-day-can-we-please-get-serious-about-electric-car-battery-fires/

What kind of batteries in your computer? Phone? flashlight? Do you keep them outside too?

Let's get rid of portable generators too especially the popular Honda Honda EB2200i, EU2200i, EU2200i Companion and EU2200i Camo Portable Generators.

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2020/American-Honda-Recall-of-Portable-Generators-Due-to-Fire-and-Burn-Hazards#:~:text=Hazard%3A The portable generator’s inverter assembly can short,fire%2C posing fire and burn hazards to consumers.

And all of these! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Portable+Generator+Can+Catch+Fire&qpvt=Portable+Generator+Can+Catch+Fire&FORM=VDRE

Lots of trouble with portable generators catching fire. 😉

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire