Winter options in S TX fpr 2022

jp1811

Greetings friends,

We have wintered in FL, AZ, CA, NV and this year are in S AL. Next year we are look at TX. My sister doesn't RV but said she loves Port Aransas area. We would love some input from those who have actually stayed on the TX coast for the winter. We have  36' Class A, tow or Jeep Sahara and love to run around hiking etc. Plus beach life is great. We usually spend about $350-$450 p/m for winter stays. But we don't normally have electric fees. What is your average electric cost in Texas winter and do you have a favorite place? We are not big partiers. Just like to hang out with good people having a relaxing and fun time. NO DRAMA PLACES PLEASE. To many years in combat and on the street. Don't want the hassle. Thanks. Merry Christmas and have a blessed 2022. 

Climate change means we can not longer depend upon what the weather is "suppose to be" like for the winter.   Just had. huge rain DAY here in Phoenix.   Much needed, but not what one would expect in December.   Every area is going through changes, new normals will have to be established.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

9 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Climate change means we can not longer depend upon what the weather is "suppose to be" like for the winter.

That would certainly seem to be the case. We were using the air conditioner here in D/FW area for Christmas Eve and it looks to be even warmer for Christmas with 80°+ expected.

Historically the TX coastal areas have mild winters with occasional nights below freezing until you get farther south than Corpus Christi but there are snowbird parks all along the way and we have friends who wintered in Rockport for years, as many continue to do. If you check the area out via Campground Reviews you will find a large group of parks with monthly rentals costing about $350 - $400 per month, plus electricity. Weekly most fall between $150 & $200.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

About 4 years ago we spent the winter in Rockport .

Very humid nights . Dripping wet kind of humid .

Can get very windy close to the shore . 

The salt air will corrode anything unprotected .

But , we did enjoy our stay , even thought I had to remove rust from my bikes . 

The last 3 years we've spent in east Texas , along the edge of hill country . Decent weather without the salt and high humidity . 

This winter we are trying south Texas . Humid nights , but , otherwise decent weather .

Today ( Christmas Day ) predicted to reach 85° , sunny with 10 MPH breeze and about 50% humidity .

Sorry ,, no snow . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

7 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

The last 3 years we've spent in east Texas , along the edge of hill country . Decent weather without the salt and high humidity . 

Native Texan here and I am surprised that east Texas is on the edge of the Hill Country.  We consider that central Texas .

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

1 hour ago, TXiceman said:

Native Texan here and I am surprised that east Texas is on the edge of the Hill Country.  We consider that central Texas .

Ken

Good to know . I simply thought that because the hills in central Texas pretty much come to an end in east Texas that it was a part of Hill Country . 

Goes around , comes around .

Texas is so large that there are common terms for several different pars and having moved to TX 30+ years ago, it seems to me that some of them vary by where you happen to be. In the Dallas/Ft Worth area, east TX usually means most things east of I35, hill country is a section between San Antonio, Waco, & Brownwood or so. I think that west TX starts about Abilene or so, north TX is DFW and north but not to include the panhandle. Of course there is also south TX and the Gulf Coast, as well as a few others. As far as I have been able to find, there are no clear boundaries to these so it it kind of like defining what or who a fulltimer is.  🤪

On 12/24/2021 at 6:47 PM, jp1811 said:

What is your average electric cost in Texas winter and do you have a favorite place?

That part is pretty difficult to say since the weather plays such a big part as does the way it is used. That is probably the reason most monthly rentals charge for electric separately. If you heat with electric you will use more than one who heats with propane and weather plays a major role in either one. 

On 12/24/2021 at 6:47 PM, jp1811 said:

NO DRAMA PLACES PLEASE.

I'm not quite sure what you are getting at with this part? If you are still reading the responses, a comment or two on the suggestions given could help us to help you. 

Hill Country is roughly  Waco to San Antonio, between US 87 on west and I-35 on east..    

East Tesas starts about 40 miles east of Dallas (Greenville)  to Louisiana.   Oklahoma border on the north to Huntsville  east of I-45.  Exclude metro Houston but keep in Beaumont  

Coastal Bend, area all around Corpus Christie.

RGV, Brownsville up the Rio Grand River to Larado-Del Rio area.   .

North Texas - Corsicana up to Oklahoma border., as far west as about Abeliene

What's left is West Texas

Remember, they were going to make 5 states out of Texas at one point.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Thanks for all the responses. RE: drama statement: We have traveled throughout the US. Some parks we have found gripe and complain about every little detail even blaming us for things others did. We have done work camping and I am a former federal agent with 3 spec ops tours in the middle east. I understand rules and follow them. But if you are going to be that old and bitchy (owner or resident), just stay in your RV and leave everyone alone. We pick up others trash, dog poo that is not ours and follow every rule to the "T". Just take my money and leave me alone. Most RVr's are great. But the others of you really ruin the experience.

3 hours ago, jp1811 said:

Most RVr's are great. But the others of you really ruin the experience.

That is for sure. Every park probably has a few of that type but I haven't experienced a lot of it. My guess would be that parks with mostly long term residents who come to the same spot every year are probably more inclined to be that way. As one who has been a campground host, a volunteer tour guide, volunteer moderator, and a volunteer working with the public in our national parks and wildlife refuges, I do understand what you are thinking of. I doubt that you can ever completely avoid the self-appointed authority if you stay in a spot for long as they seem to be everywhere including on forums. But most places don't have many and we have usually managed to either avoid them or ignore them.  Thanks for the response!  😊

Edited by Kirk W