ruined a new phone charging it

This is more a I want to tell some one post. Bought a new phone when signed up for Visible. Charged it a few times and then charge port little hard to go in. Harder to get out. After this charger end won't go back  in. Chatted with Visible and they stated contact Motorola. OK. They refuse to honor warranty since they claimed I tore it up. Has anyone damaged their phone by charging it? Used  their charger and it works fine in other phones and the replacement I got at Walmart. First time dealing with a phone problem. Is this normal?

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Glenn,

In my opinion it's VERY unusual for a new phone.  

My intent is to help if I can.  A few clarifications would be useful to me, and I suspect others.

Who did you buy the phone from.  When did you purchase it.  Did you buy a new, phone?

Added question:  Are they pointing the finger at the charger or charging cable you're using?  If so, which charger/cable are you using?

Edited by DanZemke
added question

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

It new phone. Completely new with their charger in box. Bought from Visible. Finance thru a company they use. They say I damaged charging port. Somehow when I plugged it in, it caught corner of the male part on the charging port. Pushed corner of it down. Now plug can't go on to charge. It is the USB-C. I don't see how I could have damaged it unless not properly lined up. I went to Walmart and bought another phone but it is not 5g capable. One that I bought from Visible is

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

There are 2 business here in Huntsville that repair them. Going to get it fixed at one of them. To nice a phone to toss. I never see phone that have wireless charging when buying. Actually Visible has one on their site but it is $800.00. Not paying that for a phone.

Edited by GlennWest

On 10/24/2021 at 1:28 PM, GlennWest said:

I never see phone that have wireless charging when buying. 

These days it may be almost a given that nearly any new phone will allow wireless charging.  I quit using it when my phone went dark and got so locked up it took me nearly a half-hour to get it to boot up.  I suspected wireless charging, and so far I'm right.

I can't comment much on your problem but I do know those connectors can be fragile. I was considering Visible for a new carrier as my data needs are growing, but after this story I think I better be careful.

Edited by hemsteadc

9 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

But in all these years insurance has been wasted money for me. 

That is the way with insurance on most things. Like you, there have been a few times that I'd have been much better off if I had bought the insurance on on electronic item but I almost never do. I did have an expensive digital camera that I bought insurance on and a year later they did replace it, so I was more lucky than you. My present Microsoft Surface Pro 3 computer has given me more grief in just under 2 years than my previous HP which cost me about 1/3 as much. 

Like you, I have real doubts about why the phone should have been damaged so easily.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Glenn which model Motorola phone? We bought two Motorola One 5g Ace phones and mine just got sent in on warranty because from new the mic and/or mic circuit has been so bad that folks thought my connection was breaking up. My old Mot Z3 is clear as a bell and I'm using it now. We had 2 each of the Z Play phones and the Z3 phones and now the Moto One 5G Ace, which are very different from the Moto One UW that Verizon gives away to new customers today. Motorola are all Chinese Lenovo Phones now since 2014. Google bought them in 2012 and after they secured Motorola Mobile's patents, which were all they wanted, they sold to Lenovo in 2014.The feel and quality has really gone down. Plastic back now and still no built in wireless charging.

I bought one of these adapters for wireless charging but that was for my Z3 phones which had no 3.5mm headphone jack so I had to fiddle with it every time I wanted to use headsets. The flat pad goes under the phone's cover and stay plugged in and charge quite well. However wireless charging always heats up the phone a bit more than regular wired charging. As well I bought stand up chargers that had two coils instead of just one which makes the position of the phone immaterial, I just put it on the charger, it could be off center and no issues.

My new phones have a 3.5mm jack again so I might put it on again and see how it does with the new phones. They are easy to unplug and connect USB cables for local phone backups fast photo transfers etc. like I do. Much faster than Google cloud backups when resetting the phone like I just did to send it in for service. It has been three years since I bought mine so YMMV. Here is the one I tried and worked great: https://www.amazon.com/Version-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-Nillkin/dp/B06Y5FDXD4/ref=psdc_2407761011_t1_B07CVXW3MV

It goes on and then we put the thin TPU cases we had on and it did not interfere. So these stayed under our cases. THey also have a little piece of tape so they can be stuck to the back but I don't take my new phones out of the box without a TPU case. These won't work with hard plastic cases, metal cases or or thick Otterbox cases. I use the thin TPU with thick corner bumper flexible cases anyway so they are perfect.

These solve the wear and tear issues of plugging in daily or every two days like our phones. There are vehicle Qi wireless chargers too.

I also just checked with my wife's phone, as mine is on the way to warranty repair, and this short version does not interfere with the fingerprint sensor n the back of the Motorola One 5G Ace. I believe the Moto One 5gUW has the fingerprint sensor in the same place so would work with them too.

Hope that helps.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

17 hours ago, Kirk W said:

My present Microsoft Surface Pro 3 computer has given me more grief in just under 2 years than my previous HP which cost me about 1/3 as much. 

Kirk you say you've had it for two years yet that is an OLD model that came out in 2014. Did you buy it used or refurbished two years ago? I had no issues with my Pro 3 and it worked perfectly when I sold it. I did have to buy an aftermarket charger when the one year new warranty ran out.

I had fits with my Pro 4 sending it in under warranty four times before they returned a unit without the problem I sent it in for, or a different problem! I just sold it a couple of months ago as we have the Surface Pro 7 i7/256GB/16GB RAM, and the newer Pro 7+ (plus) i5/128GB/8GB RAM/LTE, and we have two 10" Surface Go 2 with the m3 processor and 128GB/8GB RAM/with LTE and typecovers for both.

What kind of issues are you having perhaps I can help?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

17 minutes ago, RV_ said:

Kirk you say you've had it for two years yet that is an OLD model that came out in 2014.

I guess I said Surrface Pro and should have said laptop. My Surface Laptop 3 was bought new in Feb. of 2020.  They were introduced October of 2019. Cost was about $1100 and worst computer purchase I have had in years. If you do a Google search for problem fixes for this computer you get a long list of them. Fortunately for me, thus far those fixes have resolved the issues that I have experienced, but I would never recommend the Surface Laptops to anyone. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Oh gotcha. I could not help with those anyway as I don't do any manufacturer's laptops/notebooks save the Surface Pro and now Go2 line. Microsoft is good on warranty repairs so I'm glad you got them fixed. The original Surface Go was slow and had poor run times per charge. The Go 2 only with the M3 processor is excellent in speed and run times. The Go2 with the Pentium gold not so good. The LTE is excellent on the Go 2s as well as the Surface Pro 7 + (plus). The Pro 7 plus has a too expensive upgradeable SSD and no Micro SD card slot. I have the 256GB SSD in my regular Pro 7 and a 256GB micros SD card which is fine for music and photos. The new Surface Pro 8 look like it does not have a micros SD card either.

The Microsoft OEM is $500-$700 bucks and I have not been able to get a live tech to point to the OEM drives either as they just drop in. I did buy a WD 1TB correct drive but it had no case and ran very hot as well as not running right. I prefer having a micro SD slot for up to 1TB cards. Much cheaper and reliable then third party SSDs in that tiny form factor. Maybe the Surface Pro 9 will be better.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I may try a Surface Book used that detaches and comes slightly larger than the Surface pro. Like my Pros the typecovers stay in the cabinet not in use. They are really for resale when I upgrade.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

Glenn which model Motorola phone? We bought two Motorola One 5g Ace phones and mine just got sent in on warranty because from new the mic and/or mic circuit has been so bad that folks thought my connection was breaking up. My old Mot Z3 is clear as a bell and I'm using it now. We had 2 each of the Z Play phones and the Z3 phones and now the Moto One 5G Ace, which are very different from the Moto One UW that Verizon gives away to new customers today. Motorola are all Chinese Lenovo Phones now since 2014. Google bought them in 2012 and after they secured Motorola Mobile's patents, which were all they wanted, they sold to Lenovo in 2014.The feel and quality has really gone down. Plastic back now and still no built in wireless charging.

I bought one of these adapters for wireless charging but that was for my Z3 phones which had no 3.5mm headphone jack so I had to fiddle with it every time I wanted to use headsets. The flat pad goes under the phone's cover and stay plugged in and charge quite well. However wireless charging always heats up the phone a bit more than regular wired charging. As well I bought stand up chargers that had two coils instead of just one which makes the position of the phone immaterial, I just put it on the charger, it could be off center and no issues.

My new phones have a 3.5mm jack again so I might put it on again and see how it does with the new phones. They are easy to unplug and connect USB cables for local phone backups fast photo transfers etc. like I do. Much faster than Google cloud backups when resetting the phone like I just did to send it in for service. It has been three years since I bought mine so YMMV. Here is the one I tried and worked great: https://www.amazon.com/Version-Wireless-Charging-Receiver-Nillkin/dp/B06Y5FDXD4/ref=psdc_2407761011_t1_B07CVXW3MV

It goes on and then we put the thin TPU cases we had on and it did not interfere. So these stayed under our cases. THey also have a little piece of tape so they can be stuck to the back but I don't take my new phones out of the box without a TPU case. These won't work with hard plastic cases, metal cases or or thick Otterbox cases. I use the thin TPU with thick corner bumper flexible cases anyway so they are perfect.

These solve the wear and tear issues of plugging in daily or every two days like our phones. There are vehicle Qi wireless chargers too.

I also just checked with my wife's phone, as mine is on the way to warranty repair, and this short version does not interfere with the fingerprint sensor n the back of the Motorola One 5G Ace. I believe the Moto One 5gUW has the fingerprint sensor in the same place so would work with them too.

Hope that helps.

Adapter won't help me. Can't hook it up

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

Hope that helps.

Mine is the One 5g UW 

When you get it fixed if you want one of the wireless chargers as above you can use the short one or the long one since your fingerprint sensor is on the side like my Z3 instead of in the middle of the back where it is on my 5G Ace.

My fingerprint sensor is on the back with the M on it like your M insignia only.

I never looked at the One 5G UW close up. I thought they were the same but they are quite different than the One 5G Ace 2021. But I agree that Lenovo has brought Motorola quality down a bunch in their mid range phones. But for 5G they are some of the least expensive that function well.

I am using my old Moto Z3  while mine is repaired, and it is much more solid but slower because my new one is 5G and has the faster processor, 6GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. I can buy the 5G mod for my Z3 phones if I needed that. Glad we kept them. They came from Verizon and the sim card swaps between them with no setup needed from US Mobile our current unlimited carrier. But no hot spots allowed which is weird because they also sold us the sim and another line for unlimited data only??

But our needs are phone only as our Fiber Internet service from Centurylink is all we need for streaming to our TVs and computers/tablets. Not like RV needs except maybe for the voice phones only.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 2 weeks later...

Glenn,

Update on my phone repair. I was not dealing with/through Verizon as I did years ago with our first gen Moto Z play. That time I got a refurbished phone back from repair that had other issues. Our Moto Z3 phones are still exceptional and I am keeping them for backups as they work great just swapping the US Mobile Sim card to them as needed like this past week.

Since we bought two of these unlocked cash at Best Buy we did not deal with the carrier for this repair of my phone, but direct with Motorola and I was very surprised as they emailed me links to a phone management app and a pdf App user manual to back up and restore the phone, with the return prepaid shipping label and instructions.that included backup and restore via Bluetooth, online, and USB to and from my Windows computer. I used my Surface Pro 7 to run the App and store the backup via USB C which the phone and Surface both have, and using USB directly connected to the it backed up in less than a minute the first time with scads of pics and messages. They turned it around in less than four business days. They sent a brand new phone and apparently mine had more defects than just the microphone system, defective from new. Everything about it is great now! Everyone hears me much better than the old phone and the screen, colors, photos, all pop now. And the battery lasts almost three days when not doing a lot of DUO video calls to Germany and my family in California and Florida. My six month old phone was just not right from the start and how bad was not apparent until I received this replacement phone. I just thought the Moto One 5G Ace 2021 6GB Ram and 128GB storage onboard, 6.7" screen, 48MP main camera and 16MP front or selfie camera, 500mAH battery was a bad design, but in case that influenced anyone else I would highly recommend it - i just got a . Yours is a completely different model so I can't speak to that.

Three phones ago our Moto Z phones were Verizon freebies and the warranty within the first year was abysmal through Verizon.

Remember the Motorola one Ace is a 5G phone sand the price for other 5G phones with worse specs or about the same are almost twice the price that I have seen so if there are closer in price feel free to post a link. I like Motorola (again) after a brief disappointment. Others may prefer the little UI differences of Samsung or Huawei etc. or other features.and other may like another brand and stick with them.

Here's a review of the Motorola One with specs: https://en.gsm.cool/specs/motorola-one-5g-ace

Here is a comparison video between the Motorola One 5G Ace which costs $299.99 at Best buy ( https://www.bestbuy.com/site/motorola-one-5g-ace-2021-unlocked-128gb-memory-frosted-silver/6441181.p?skuId=6441181&contractId=unactivated&ref=212&loc=1&ref=212&loc=1&gclid=b34c16c74fbe1da903fd774460e59aac&gclsrc=3p.ds&msclkid=b34c16c74fbe1da903fd774460e59aac )

and another with similar specs - Samsung Galaxy S20 FE 5G Factory Unlocked Android Cell Phone 128GB US version costs $676.30 here: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Factory-Unlocked-Smartphone-Pro-Grade/dp/B08FYTSXGQ/ref=sr_1_3?crid=AFY36AAZWHVH&dchild=1&keywords=Samsung+Galaxy+S20+FE&qid=1635986968&qsid=147-3085574-6437951&sprefix=samsung+galaxy+s20+fe%2Caps%2C392&sr=8-3&sres=B08FYTSXGQ%2CB08L34JQ9C%2CB09KDTTRZM%2CB09KDMPJ3Z%2CB09K1HN2FG%2CB0982KLL7F%2CB08WBXRBXS%2CB09HWLM3DZ%2CB09HWKRTCM%2CB096YD1LGJ%2CB096YFGMX2%2CB08KZ9Y5C7%2CB094RG8YDS%2CB0936P32GN%2CB08JKBZRNF%2CB09KDJ3VZD&srpt=CELLULAR_PHONE

The comparison video is here:

So that wraps up my experiences with repair through Motorola.

I never get cell phone insurance because we don;t buy the top shelf phones. We do buy lower to mid priced phones. If we bought $1500 state of the art phones maybe.

"How much does cell phone insurance cost per month?

Deductibles vary based on the make, model, and year of your phone. Repair deductibles typically range from $29 to $75, and replacement deductibles range from $75 to $99. The Everything Protected option runs from $12 to $15 per month, or $120 to $168 when you pay for the year." Source: https://www.investopedia.com/best-cell-phone-insurance-5181181

So if we paid for Phone insurance by the year for a slight discount it would cost $120 a year X the three years we might keep a phone = $360.00! Right now the Moto One 5g Ace phones run $299.99, a
no-brainer since replacing it at our own expense is $60 bucks less than the insurance alone.

Good luck with your repair.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

It is possible that you put the charging end of the cord in upside down and damaged it? Even if you have insurance on the phone? Warranty companies first deny claims and many times will not pay ever. This also applies to auto extended warranties. I only have four people that I know who tried to collect on a claim for auto warranty from warranty companies and none got paid. They told them they had not keep up regular maintenance, all four. While that is not a lot of data that is the only four people I know who tried to collect on a claim. I have been told that Good Sam does honor their extended warranties. Again only one person told me that. I have never had an extended warranty on an RV because I don't like what they don't cover.