Gen 1 1999 650k miles Cummins ISM electrical problem

bags

Our first real electrical gremlin has invaded our truck. I started the truck and every warning light came on. Shut down, caution, red light on temp, fluid levels etc. Turned it off and they went away so I took a drive and noticed my temp light was on and my gauges worked sporadically. No speedo, fuel, temp etc but I did have air pressure gauges. I subsequently got the truck back home hooked up my VMSPC (silver leaf electronics) and all pressures and temps were good even though my dash lights and gauges said differently. Shut down light was still on but truck never shut down and it had plenty of time too. I used my power probe to check all the fuses and they are good. Now my speedo pegs at 80 instead of powering up on start and then dropping back down. My computer says the truck is fine but it will drop out and then reconnect. Always before when it dropped out I had to close the program and re open. I disconnected the ground lead to the battery over night hooping that would clear it up but no luck. Does anybody have any ideas. Any and all information greatly appreciated.

Safe travels

John Bagley

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

That's a headscratcher, for sure. I'd start with the connections at the back of the gauge cluster, also checking the grounds for the dash while the cluster is out. I don't remember what truck you have, but Gen 1 Volvo's have had solder issues on the gauges. Check the back of your gauge cluster for questionable solder points, while it's out. Let us know what you find.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Also, you might check the connections from the dash harness to the gauge cluster. Wiggle them gently to see if that helps. Applying some Caig DeoxIT to the connectors might also help. A little goes a long way here and it needs to get down into the connector. DeoxIT is a contact enhancer. Good luck. Jay

My mechanic has checked all cluster connections are good on this 15k milage cluster. he is supporting a ground issue as well. The ecm under the hood is working as it should, not throwing codes. We think there must be a second eco for the inside the truck for the cluster but can't find it. Anybody know anything about a second icm. There are 2 driver display fuses. I hate to take it to a dealer as my experience is the age of these mechanics is younger than the truck. Any and all thoughts appreciated. JB

John and Michal Bagley 1999 Volvo 610 the 'Millennium Falcon', 400 hp ISM, Autoshift Gen 2, single axel w/steel bed, Pressure Pro, VMSPC, Trailer Saver Air Hitch, 3 bags, 38 foot Royals International, and our 3 dogs.

12 minutes ago, bags said:

My mechanic has checked all cluster connections are good on this 15k milage cluster. he is supporting a ground issue as well. The ecm under the hood is working as it should, not throwing codes. We think there must be a second eco for the inside the truck for the cluster but can't find it. Anybody know anything about a second icm. There are 2 driver display fuses. I hate to take it to a dealer as my experience is the age of these mechanics is younger than the truck. Any and all thoughts appreciated. JB

On my 1999 VNL there is only one ecm. Jay

There are 2 fuses for the ECM as well.  One about a foot back on the main ECM harness, and another near the batteries- that one goes to ground.  There is a ground behind the lower dash panel by the steering column, and well as the main pass thru harness. There is also a ground that runs from the starter to frame.  I've replaced these as I've had issues with my "98 610.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Thats great information. Thank you very much. My mechinic verified all grounds to dash cluster were good. checking those other grounds out sounds a real good lead as well. Thanks for all the help. JB

• Phil D changed the title to Gen 1 1999 650k miles Cummins ISM electrical problem

Your air pressure gauges come from a different module. 

The other gauges, water temp oil pressure etc, come from the ECU. 

I would more suspect communication issues between the ECU and the cab. 

I have seen on more than once the engine harness will have a broken wire from not being secured properly and vibrations will cause a wire to break. 

I am not a volvo guy, but have worked on lots of others. 

1 minute ago, chief916 said:

I had same issue about 3 years ago on our 1997 WIA 64 while camping at Myrtle Beach. Found a truck shop there and the owner and his two mechanics weni over every ground on the engine and in the dash. Cleaned them all and Deoxed.  No problems since.

Forgot.....I have a Detroit 60 11.1.