Setting Up Domicile in Florida (one at a time)

My wife and I are contemplating the steps needed to set up domicile in Florida and hitting the road for a year. I’d like to come out to Florida with the travel trailer to set up domicile for myself first and then have her come out a few months later to set things up for herself. I won’t go into the why of all that but does anyone see a problem doing it separately? I think, legally, there is no married residency status; only individual.

If it's anything like transferring vehicles when you move there, it's a PITA. I was a travel nurse in the 1980's and decided to stay for a bit. It took me weeks to get all the paper work and transfer two wheeled vehicles from a Midwest licensing state to the State of Florida.  At that time there was also an excise tax or something and inspections. Not sure if it's the same now, I left Florida and would never live there again. JMHO. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Are you sure that you understand what domicile involves? If you have not done so, I suggest that you take time to read The Issue of Doimicilewritten by a practicing attorney. The problem that I see in what you are suggesting is in things like vehicles that are titled in both names and the insurance on them, taxes paid at both state and federal levels which have been filed jointly, and a host of other things. In order for you to have separate domiciles you will pretty much need to divide things in the same way that you would if divorceing. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

It is only individual so unless there is a problem with vehicle titles, I don't see an issue. You could call the county tax assessor office in the county you plan to use and ask them. Are you planning to use a mail service for the address?

Maybe getting a written power of attorney from your wife would take care of the title issue if there is one. May depend on whether the title is "and" or "or". As in Jane or Joe Smith vs Jane and Joe Smith

Edited by agesilaus

10 hours ago, lappir said:

If it's anything like transferring vehicles when you move there, it's a PITA. I was a travel nurse in the 1980's and decided to stay for a bit. It took me weeks to get all the paper work and transfer two wheeled vehicles from a Midwest licensing state to the State of Florida.  At that time there was also an excise tax or something and inspections. Not sure if it's the same now, I left Florida and would never live there again. JMHO. 

Rod

Things have probably changed since the 1980's.  If going through Escapees to set up domicile it can be done in a very short time... a couple days at the most.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I was friends with married couple from Calif. The wife did not work. When the husband retired they bought a new Class A and a new tow vehicle and went full time. He established SD domicile and registered both in SD. They use FL as their winter home and she established a FL domicile and registured her car in FL.  Neither SD or FL have income tax so they only file a federal return. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I 'moved' to Florida a few years ago. Escapees has a page with a listing of all the requirements to establish residence and domicile. We followed the list of required items and brought everything into the county office. About an hour later, we walked out with new licenses, titles, registrations and plate. A short drive to another county office registered our statements of domicile.

Every time the county lady asked for a document, we had it. She commented that most people forget one thing or another, but we had everything. Find the page with the requirements and do everything it says. It's quick and it works.

Michael

2017 Allegro Bus 45OPP
Cummins ISL 450

Visit us at schwarz.org!