I still haven't decided yet which RV to get

etcetera

I spent weeks looking for the right C class and couldn't find anything I want, meaning F550 based, like Dynamic Isata F-series. My budget is 40K, maybe 60K if I can get some financing.  Lots of C class at that price point but I liked none of them as 99% of them have van front.

Back to the drawing board. Exploring class A and exactly just how hard it is to maintain in an emergency, models like Itasca Sunrise M-30W.  Supposedly removing the doghouse exposes the entire top of the engine. I don't know. It is in my price range if from 2004-2008 or so.

Then I am tempted to do what I once did. Get an Airstream and just tow it. One of these wide bodies, 34' tri-axle. 

OTOH, cool as they are, Airstreams sorely lack storage space. IMO.  Not great for full-timing. 

So then maybe the solution for me is a Fifth. Easier to tow, I get to pick exactly the heavy duty/super duty TV I want. Not an inexpensive option either. Something in the relatively compact size. 

The most difficult part of the choice is the fact that you can easily find people among us who consider any type of RV you bring up to be the best choice. Some of us also have a spouse in the choice which sometimes complicates things. My best advice at this point would be to spend a lot of time at some of the largest sales lots and consider everything. For most of us, there comes a time when one of them just feels right. Most of us at times tend to overthink things. Your best choice may be more a matter of feeling than of logic. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I was never happy with the Airstream. Didn't feel right and towing was not a joyful experience. More sway than I wanted. And I had a rig that was more than sufficient for the 32'. Heavy duty 1 ton axles F350 with the 7.5L. 

Want to try something else this time, a compact Fifth possibly. Compact meaning under 30'. Not one of those huge 38' units. What entices me about the Fifths is:

The variety is endless, so is the price range. More usable living space than in Class C.  Much more storage.

The LEGO-bility of it. You can match the tow vehicle to the Fifth. If you don't like the TV, you can sell it, get another one, or keep the TV and upgrade the Fifth.  It's nice. With class A, B and C you are stuck with the whole unit. TT are modular also in  that sense but I doubt I want to get a TT again.  Not enough storage, towing is inferior to FV.

IMO and IME

I seriously considered one of these Stealth camping arrangements, making a class C look like a not-a-full-timing vehicle, of course I am aware class B is the ultimate for that purpose. However that would work just in my current position, if I moved I think the point might become moot.  I think realistically anything that doesn't look like a class B delivery vehicle is not stealthy enough and since I don't want class B I might as well give up on that idea.

The downside to Fifth is the eternal where are you going to park it?

The upside to the Fifth is once you park it, unhook and now you have a heavy duty 1 ton vehicle to run errands with, get to work in, etc.

The upside to class C it's way more compact, no hooking / unhooking nonsense. And you don't have to full time park it, you can kind of, sort of quasy-stealth it, if you paint it right, it would not be *that* unusual and certainly not attract as much attention as a Fifth.

The downside to Class C, you cannot actually park it and have to take the entire rig with you everywhere, to work, errands, everywhere. 

There are situations where class C would be more practical like now, and then there are situations where a Fifth would be more practical. I am trying to think long-term.

With the Fifth, I could even tow multiple trailers. Have a major Fifth for full timing and then a super compact one for the weekend activity type. Maybe some 19' TT, that's cheap but does the job. Or not, as maintaining many is a pain.

Edited by etcetera

The hardest part of choosing, is not knowing if it will work. The hardest part of knowing if it will work is choosing. Once the choice is made then you will know pretty soon how things work. 

There are "Trade offs" with all sorts of living arrangements. I have traveled in my work since 1989, but didn't start full time RV/home on wheels living until the early 2000's. My current home was built for me in 2013. I had lived in a conventionally of the lot built "Toyhauler" for the 5+ years prior and it was the 3rd model/type I have lived in. Is it perfect? No, does it fill the bill the majority of the time yes. Is it stealthy, absolutely not. Would I do it again, maybe. 

I plan to continue the mobile life as long as I can still do all that's needed to pack it up and move to the next spot. It's more expensive than living in a "Sticks and bricks" and doesn't have the ability to build up equity as a typical home, but at least for now I'm able to swing the extra costs. My hope is when it's too much to move I have found a place to park it where it and I may remain. 

Good luck with your choosing and may you get it "Acceptable" very soon. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

2 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Maybe you're sincere , but , LOL . ;)

true that. 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

About 7 to 9 years ago I read an RV news article that said on a square foot basis you get more value and space with a TT in comparison to other types of RV.  They may have included 5th wheels in that write up.  Please note to the NPs I am not promoting TTs over other types of RV so don't go hyper over this.  Those that may be  interested can find their own evidence link. Good luck.

My next RV may be a class B.   Cheers and grins to the many with jeers to a few KHs/NPs.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1739912699644241&type=3

Edited by NamMedevac 70