Hub Oil Change

bigredhdt

Also when you stick your thumb through the brittle plastic window when replacing the rubber plug after visual inspection.

Ask me how I know.....

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

1 hour ago, Parrformance said:

Also when you stick your thumb through the brittle plastic window when replacing the rubber plug after visual inspection.

Ask me how I know.....

I did this once when I worked as a UPS driver and they tried to say it was driver abuse. This was during my pre-trip

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Ask me how I know.....

This means it's time to get rid of those junk Stemcos. They're just the worst and yet they keep showing up. My Volvo shop put them on my steers without my consent and now I have to change them out. Again. Jay

1 hour ago, bigredhdt said:

Hendrickson 12k

Ok - take a scout around the Hendrickson website .... 

But first I forgot to ask if you have the owner manual for the truck and if yes if you looked at the maintenance schedules in there? 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

10 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

This means it's time to get rid of those junk Stemcos. They're just the worst and yet they keep showing up. My Volvo shop put them on my steers without my consent and now I have to change them out. Again. Jay

So Jaydrvr, which manufacturer do you prefer. I suspect the brittle plastic was at least 10 years old, not very many clear plastics last that long in Central Florida sun.

Jackalopee

So Jaydrvr, which manufacturer do you prefer. I suspect the brittle plastic was at least 10 years old, not very many clear plastics last that long in Central Florida sun.

It's not just the FL sun. The first time I broke a Stemco window was on a January winter day in Ohio and then I was stranded at my delivery. After much frustration with the Stemcos everyone kept using, I ran my own comparative test on my rig. Basically, any that don't have the sandwiched window like the Stemcos are much better, but this one is my final choice. They're available everywhere and darn near bulletproof. The school bus company I haul for puts them on all their school buses. That to me confirms my research. Jay

https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/170-1643B.html

10 hours ago, noteven said:

Ok - take a scout around the Hendrickson website .... 

But first I forgot to ask if you have the owner manual for the truck and if yes if you looked at the maintenance schedules in there? 

The manual says there is no set interval for changing hub oil.

• 1 year later...
On 5/18/2021 at 7:24 AM, Jaydrvr said:

It's not just the FL sun. The first time I broke a Stemco window was on a January winter day in Ohio and then I was stranded at my delivery. After much frustration with the Stemcos everyone kept using, I ran my own comparative test on my rig. Basically, any that don't have the sandwiched window like the Stemcos are much better, but this one is my final choice. They're available everywhere and darn near bulletproof. The school bus company I haul for puts them on all their school buses. That to me confirms my research. Jay

https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/170-1643B.html

Finally got around to changing out the worthless Stemco hub caps, I see why you like the SKF hub caps.  I’m sold, thanks for the tip Jaydrvr😁

Jackalopee

Finally got around to changing out the worthless Stemco hub caps, I see why you like the SKF hub caps.  I’m sold, thanks for the tip Jaydrvr😁

I'm glad it worked out for you and you're enjoying freedom from those miserable Stemcos... 😊 Jay

Have had the SKF styles fail as seriously as Stemco or the other brands with Aluminum Housings as the SKF units are completely Plastic.  Most mechanics just install what is locally available.  I chose to install the Aluminum Housing models as are less obnoxious as to required torque and do last just as long.