Interested in RVing

Lena och Tony

Hi.
My husband and I are looking into different RVs. We currently live in Sweden bur the plan is to (in a few years) live 6 months in the US in an RV and the other 6 months in Sweden in another RV.
What kinds do you rekommend for that kind of life? We would like to boondock alot and we do not think that sliders is something for us. We want something that that doesn´t have too much that can break.
Our top 3 (for the moment) are Oliver Elite II, Black Series HQ19 and Airstream International.
We would appreciate any feed back and suggesions, experiences that you might be able to offer.

Lena

There are lots and lots of choices for quality, cost, size, features.  This is even worse than asking what car to buy.  You really need to be more specific, narrow your choices and then look at each of those choices.  If you ask others, they will typically promote what they bought and often have little experience with different choices.

I'm not into Travel Trailer, started with a small 50 years ago. I did a quick comparison of the three you listed. All would great and all have difference limitations which I'm sure have considered.

Most importantly you are considering the TT before you decide how your going pull it. The Black series in my estimation mayrequire a heavier vehicle to pull and STOP than the Oliver.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Bear in mind that along with your 6 months back home, you'll be storing your rig here in the states for that time.  Ensuring you have a safe storage facility is important (and a cost you'll need to factor in).  We often hear about travel trailers being stolen from storage lots, so definitely do your research, ensure the rig is as battened down as it can be.  Depending on what part of the country you plan to store it in, you may need to consider winterization, too.  And battery storage.  No batteries will last 6 months unattended without a trickle charger.  Removing them is likely your best option.  

I have no idea of the costs, but you might considering renting initially, as you indicate you have no experience with them.  If you outright purchase one, you'll definitely "worry" about it while you aren't around to take care of it.

MyRVRadio - Streaming online 24/7 at MyRVRadio.com and via mobile apps! Content for RVers from RVers.   2018 Grand Design Momentum 399TH • 2019 Ford F-350 (DRW)
2016 Harley-Davidson Heritage • 2013 Harley Sportster with a sidecar
Web: https://MyRVRadio.com • Facebook: https://fb.com/MyRVRadio  

Welcome to the forum and RV'ing. I'm glad to see that you are doing some research before you spend money.

I think your choice of a travel trailer is a good one. Keep in mind that you are going to have to have two trailers and two trucks, one each here and one each in Sweden. That doubles your costs. On the other hand, you will have a combination that works for where it is. The Swedish combo probably won't be the best for here, and the one for here won't be the best for there.

As was mentioned, the Black Series trailers are heavy, and are designed for going into the back country. The other two are capable of boondocking, but are not intended to go as far off road as the Black Series. If you go with a Black Series you will want a 4WD truck to take full advantage of the off-road capabilities. The other two can be easily towed by either a 2WD or 4WD truck.

Think about where you will store the truck and trailer when you are in Sweden. You might want to consider having your "home base" somewhere on the eastern part of the US. You might want to investigate the Escapees co-op parks. Some have storage areas, so your lot can be rented for much of the year. If the park you choose doesn't have a storage area you can simply leave your truck and trailer on your lot. Usually there is a helpful neighbor who will keep an eye on things for you.

Here are some Airstream links:

https://www.airstream.com/owners/document-archive/ will let you look at specs and floor plans.

https://www.airforums.com/ is the owners' forum. Ask your questions there, and check the Classifieds for Airstreams for sale.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

Welcome to the Escapees RV Club forums! We are happy to have you join us here and we will be happy t help as much as we are able. One of the things that you need to consider that has not been mentioned is that in the USA you must have an address in order to licence and insure any RV or tow vehicle. There are also only a few states that will allow you to use a mail service for that address and the Escapees RV Club can provide that for you if you choose to join the club. Let me suggest that you may learn a lot by reading this page written by an Australian member of Escapees who has done what you have in mind for many years. There is also a second article by a member from UK. Both of them were written several years ago but most of what they advise still applies today. Once you have read them I am sure that you will have questions that folks here will be able to help with.

The Airstream International is very expensive new, starting at $94,000, US. The Oliver Elite Black will run about $70,000 US when new. The Oliver is going to weigh about 10,000 lb. or 4536 kg. The Airstream weighs 7,300 lb or 3311 kg. You should probably plan on at least a truck in the 250/2500 series to tow either one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Welcome to a wonderful world of travel and a great group of helpful people. Someone likes every rig so, please, take that into consideration in our feedback. Airstream trailers have a reputation for little storage space but they have a cult-like following. Oliver has an excellent reputation for their build quality and I like that their website lists everything available. I know nothing about the Black series since I have never heard of them before and their website didn't even answer my basic questions. I, personally, would not hesitate to buy an Oliver because they use the best of the current systems available and friends who have owned one loved it. For towing I suggest either a Chevy Suburban or a pickup truck with a covered bed so you can store additional gear there whichever trailer you choose.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

My advice is always start withe the question - "what do you want to do and see". Boondocking on BML land or RV parks. Do you want to get into small state parks or large National parks. Boondock in the desert? All these questions may well rule out certain RVs. Don't let the choice of RV determine what you can and cant do.

A small trailer and a 4x4 will get you into places that a large C Class wont, or shouldn't, go.

Rather than buying a truck and a trailer consider getting a Class B or C. Many people boondock in Bs and Cs and then you don't need two vehicles. You may even save dollars insuring and registering only one vehicle. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

5 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Rather than buying a truck and a trailer consider getting a Class B or C. Many people boondock in Bs and Cs and then you don't need two vehicles. You may even save dollars insuring and registering only one vehicle. 

We did this but be aware that it only works in small rigs that you are willing to take with you sightseeing and to the grocery store and laundromat. If you are traveling most days anyway it works really well.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Since you mentioned no slides but also did not mention if you had RV'd before, I suggest you take the dimensions of the units you are looking at, marked it off in an area of your house or garage and put stuff in it to simulate the cabinets and furniture and see if you both can survive in a small area for 6 months. Not all of the time is spent outside so you need to be prepared to do the aisle shuffle! 

Also be sure any unit is properly prepared for the type of boondocking you plan to do, with enough solar panels, water tanks and generator to keep you comfortable. Do you expect to be in any colder climates, if so then you want a unit that can handle the temperature extremes. 

If you haven't camped before, suggest you get the one over in Sweden first and then it will help you in your decisions for a unit here. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.