Dark tank help

David veillette

HELP.  as many may know or are part of it TX has had the ccoldest week on record going back to 1899.  We have managed to do go job and have water heat and power.   I kept the gray tanks open and drip water followed by very hot water every couple of hours which has kept the drain pipe clear, HOWEVER, in order to prevent a “poopsicle” I closed the dark talks and now I can not open the valve to drain.  We have  a heartland 2017 Big county and I would appreciate any suggestions for getting the valve opened to drain.  We need to leave on Saturday AM and really don’t want to travel with a full dark tank!,,

If you If you can get a hot water salt water brine into the tank it will help thaw the ice out.  Use a lot of salt.  The other idea is to get a hair dryer aimed at the lower pipe and valve where it leaves the belly area. It takes time to thaw it.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

When the temperatures get above freezing everything will thaw out pretty quickly. It's thawing today in Oklahoma from the sunshine even though it's still below freezing. Put something black or dark colored under your trailer and extend it to the sunlight. The heat will radiate up and maybe assist with the thaw. They are talking the 50s again soon. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

One issue is it may not be hard to get the valve itself thawed  but you can still have a pretty good ice blob in the tank that may not drain and could block you shutting the valve.  Where I am even a light freeze can keep me from opening the valve in the morning but if it warms up for several hours in the day and an assist by some sunshine as mine is on the morning sun side where I am parked allows me to open it later in the day. This was covered recently in another post on the forum and some of the advice here was there as well and some more that might be useful.

I had a sump pump line freeze once at my house after it exited the house, and I used a ceramic heater that I set up to blow hot air around the line, worked just like a hair dryer would but did not have to stand there holding it, just another option if you have a heater

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I use a plastic milk crate with a 1x2 slid thru the lower openings and a utility light with clamps and a heat lamp for source. Then take a sheet of insulating foil, wrap around crate leaving top open. slide crate under and locate where drain valve is. Should not take too long for heat directed to bottom of tank covering to thaw valve.