Cab/Body repair manual for 2007 VNL?

jeffw

Hi:

I've got a pretty bad water leak in our 2007 VNL, and was wondering if anyone had a Body/Cab repair manual for that year (or at least for any of the gen2 trucks)? I found the manual for earlier truck at the HHRV site ( http://www.hhrvresource.com/VolvoDocs/80-86/PV776-TSP145522.pdf )

It seems to be leaking at the driver side seam that run front to back of the sleeper roof.

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

We’ve had a couple leaks as have others. One of them was the air/power bulkhead on the firewall. The gasket was folded over allowing rain water to leak in and collect under the mat. Found it when routing my video cables. Unlikely a manual would have helped me much. 

Edit below . . . 

i missed reading the comment below your html link.  I can see where construction and sealing details would be helpful.
I know others have had water enter the cab from above the door and a-pillar areas. I have a friend who filled the outside gap with a polyurethane caulk and that eliminated his leak. 

Good luck. 

Edited by Jim & Wilma
Update

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

2 hours ago, jeffw said:

Hi:

I've got a pretty bad water leak in our 2007 VNL, and was wondering if anyone had a Body/Cab repair manual for that year (or at least for any of the gen2 trucks)? I found the manual for earlier truck at the HHRV site ( http://www.hhrvresource.com/VolvoDocs/80-86/PV776-TSP145522.pdf )

It seems to be leaking at the driver side seam that run front to back of the sleeper roof.

I think I have a leak in the same spot on the passenger side.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

8 hours ago, jeffw said:

Hi:

Jeff, 

I had the same thing couple of years ago.  Fix was running a good adhesive caulk down that seam. Thought it was my windshield but glass shop found it and repaired.  Cost me $$ but if you have safe access would be cheap to run a good bead down that seam.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I found that the seems were not the issue.  The fairings bolted to the cab was an issue. I have temporarily fixed it by sealing the gap between the upper fairing and the side fairing.  

I will eventually remove the fairing and fix it. The sealer is still working though.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Thanks. I'm having a hard time believing it's the roof seams as well. The most recent leak seemed to have water coming down the rear of the sleeper wall. The ceiling has always been dry, but the rear wall would be wet around where the upper bunk mounted.

I got a ladder out and took some pix of the roof, and while it's not pretty, it seems the sealer is in place:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/noci79tw9kab7b3/AACMoeavGC8426E1bT6uVKTqa?dl=0

As part of chasing this down I've started talking to a couple of body shops. Considering having the truck repainted since it's so faded. Any ballparks on cost for a job like that?

Edited by jeffw

27 minutes ago, jeffw said:

Thanks. I'm having a hard time believing it's the roof seams as well. The most recent leak seemed to have water coming down the rear of the sleeper wall. The ceiling has always been dry, but the rear wall would be wet around where the upper bunk mounted.

I got a ladder out and took some pix of the roof, and while it's not pretty, it seems the sealer is in place:

As part of chasing this down I've started talking to a couple of body shops. Considering having the truck repainted since it's so faded. Any ballparks on cost for a job like that?

There's a wide range of pricing for paint, depending on where you go and how high quality you want. You can easily spend 20k, but you can also get a basic job for about 7k. Again, very dependant on where you are and who you find. Jay

10 hours ago, jeffw said:

As far as the leak, there are several ways to find it.  You can have someone in the cab and water hose specific areas.  That’s how they found mine in the seams.  Also some places use “stage smoke” machines inside and pressurize  the cab and watch for smoke trails.  You can check with body shops to see if anyone can do that.

I just priced painting my truck and single stage around here was nearly $8,000.  Base with clear was $11-15,000 depending on amount of body work needing to be done.  Also RED is the most expensive color to paint for some reason.  I elected to go with Upol bed liner on hood and roof where clear coat had let loose.  Also included repaint of one fender and whole price was $3000.  Upol can be self applied at home if you have those skills.  BTW $15 k was just too much for a 14 yo truck since I’m somewhat frugal.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Here is a pic of the Upol on the truck.  I had center top panel, of hood, bumper, bottom of both doors, tripod mirrors,  and around both wheel wells done.  BTW Upol makes a clear coat that was applied over the top that keeps it shiny.SLZq0s0l.jpg

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

ewtkGE8l.jpg

3 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

As far as the leak, there are several ways to find it.  You can have someone in the cab and water hose specific areas.  That’s how they found mine in the seams.  Also some places use “stage smoke” machines inside and pressurize  the cab and watch for smoke trails.  You can check with body shops to see if anyone can do that.

I just priced painting my truck and single stage around here was nearly $8,000.  Base with clear was $11-15,000 depending on amount of body work needing to be done.  Also RED is the most expensive color to paint for some reason.  I elected to go with Upol bed liner on hood and roof where clear coat had let loose.  Also included repaint of one fender and whole price was $3000.  Upol can be self applied at home if you have those skills.  BTW $15 k was just too much for a 14 yo truck since I’m somewhat frugal.

I would certainly consider myself quite frugal as well, but I actually did spend the $$ to get a full base/clear paint job on my 22 year old truck. At $15,000 app., I spent more than I paid for the truck 17 years ago, but it's my forever truck and I wanted to fix all the dings and scrapes accumulated over the years, plus I wanted to color match it to our Newmar fifth wheel. Considering all the extras they did, including a good bit of bodywork and ordering the exact paint from Newmar, I'm completely happy with the outcome. Money well spent.. Plus, it's pre-tax dollars, so..... Jay

Edited by Jaydrvr
Pic

Nicely done Jaydrvr.  I have an '04 KA 38BSLE that I bought and am planning of remodeling.  The exterior paint has lots of scratches and defects, plus a few body damaged areas that need attention.  The interior is decent just needs a bit of updating, blinds, flooring etc.  

I appreciate what you chose to do esp since you intend on keeping it!

I recently got quoted to paint my current rig(in my signature) and was told about $10K for trailer and $9K for the truck, in single stage 1 color with NO color change.  Seems typical pricing for the work needed based on your experience as well.

Marcel

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

ewtkGE8l.jpg

I would certainly consider myself quite frugal as well, but I actually did spend the $$ to get a full base/clear paint job on my 22 year old truck. At $15,000 app., I spent more than I paid for the truck 17 years ago, but it's my forever truck and I wanted to fix all the dings and scrapes accumulated over the years, plus I wanted to color match it to our Newmar fifth wheel. Considering all the extras they did, including a good bit of bodywork and ordering the exact paint from Newmar, I'm completely happy with the outcome. Money well spent.. Plus, it's pre-tax dollars, so..... Jay

Very nice!  Believe me we thought long and hard about doing the same.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2 hours ago, rpsinc said:

Nicely done Jaydrvr.  I have an '04 KA 38BSLE that I bought and am planning of remodeling.  The exterior paint has lots of scratches and defects, plus a few body damaged areas that need attention.  The interior is decent just needs a bit of updating, blinds, flooring etc.  

I appreciate what you chose to do esp since you intend on keeping it!

I recently got quoted to paint my current rig(in my signature) and was told about $10K for trailer and $9K for the truck, in single stage 1 color with NO color change.  Seems typical pricing for the work needed based on your experience as well.

Thank you for your kind words. We really lucked out on the Newmar. It seems to be a typical retirement owned unit, by  someone who couldn't use it. It's in exceptional condition inside and out, but we had a long list of things that didn't work right. I've done over 75% of the list and all the hard stuff is done. We're really enjoying it, especially with the matching truck. Jay

36 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Very nice!  Believe me we thought long and hard about doing the same.

Thanks! I've been planning this project for over 20 years and I finally get to enjoy the finished product. I can see if one would maybe rather trade up to a newer one though. This however, is my toy and pet project. For having almost 2 million miles, it's in nice cosmetic and mechanical condition. Hopefully, I can get to the interior sometime soon. Jay

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

We really lucked out on the Newmar. It seems to be a typical retirement owned unit, by  someone who couldn't use it.

We bought ours from a woman who's husband had passed away.  It typically was kept in Congress at SKP park.  They bought it new and picked it up at the factory.  They towed it with an F550, not my personal choice although it did have a service bed.  I am using an IH 4700 with a Stalick bed for now, but its for sale.

I am looking forward to the remodel but have to get through these working years first.  Doing lots of money management work and paying off mortgages(we have rentals).  Almost there.

Marcel

38 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

We bought ours from a woman who's husband had passed away.  It typically was kept in Congress at SKP park.  They bought it new and picked it up at the factory.  They towed it with an F550, not my personal choice although it did have a service bed.  I am using an IH 4700 with a Stalick bed for now, but its for sale.

I am looking forward to the remodel but have to get through these working years first.  Doing lots of money management work and paying off mortgages(we have rentals).  Almost there.

That sounds like a great project! The Newmars are very substantially built, making them an ideal candidate for a remodel. I am still surprised at the ruggedness I see as I work my way through the different items on my list. I think you'll be very pleased with the end result. Hopefully we can compare notes someday. Jay

13 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Here is a pic of the Upol on the truck.  I had center top panel, of hood, bumper, bottom of both doors, tripod mirrors,  and around both wheel wells done.  BTW Upol makes a clear coat that was applied over the top that keeps it shiny.SLZq0s0l.jpg

Wow! That looks amazing! Where'd you find someone to do the Upol?

9 hours ago, jeffw said:

Wow! That looks amazing! Where'd you find someone to do the Upol?

Local backyard paint and body shop.  Was recommended for the quality bed liner work.  On the repaint of my fender, he matched the color perfectly but since he didn’t have a paint booth for the truck, I noticed a bit of orange peeling on the paint job. Could be either temperature, humidity, or mixing that caused it but not huge issue for me.  

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

9 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Local backyard paint and body shop.  Was recommended for the quality bed liner work.

Carl,

Would you mind sharing the shop name? I want to get my DROM and tool boxes doe.

Thanks,

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

1 hour ago, hatrack said:

Carl,

Would you mind sharing the shop name? I want to get my DROM and tool boxes doe.

Thanks,

Ken....

I’ll pm you.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

It's raining here today so I had a chance to look at the leak. There's no dampness in the roof liner at all, but it's leaking like crazy where the upper bunk stores on the driver side. It's not damp above it, or towards the back sleeper wall, but it's wet below that point:

upper%20bunk%20catch.jpg?raw=1

leak1.jpg?raw=1

Any suggestions where it might be coming from?