Letting your guard down

Wrknrvr

We I have tell everyone about a funny story that happened to me about a year ago. It’s funny now, but at the moment it was not. Me and the wife were going south for the winter. We were on I-15 north of Ogden Utah. So things were going really good on the trip, but we were hungry so we pulled into a roadside rest. Wife went to make lunch and I was doing the walk around. Opened the hood and checked there. I put the hood down and someone started to talk off to my right. He was looking at our setup. And we talked for a few minutes. Then he went his way and I went back to see how lunch was coming along. Well it was time to eat. We finish and packed things up to go down the road again. Wife went up her sideand got in the truck. I went around the back side of the fifthwheel and got in the truck.

So I started the engine ,watched all the gauges and everything looked good to go. Started down the highway and the the DW said did you hear that , i said no. Then a little farther down the road she said did you hear that. Yep I did. I told her so.

Well I was looking down the road fairly intense as there started to be a lot of traffic. Then a blank hit my mind.where the he???? Is the grill guard. It not on the left or the right. It should be there. Oh yeah that noise the DW said about??? That the noise. I built my own grill guard and it sticks up enough to cover the full hood. So it would cover Incase something was that high and could break the hood. Now it has a stop to keep it off the ground above being parallel the ground. But could that stop break off with the guard bouncing going down the road. And flop back under the bumper.

Ah.   Blank those words out.

Put the 4 ways on and hit cb that I was pulling over going south bound.  There were several trucks behind us. They did slow down and respected my call. Wife was asking whaaaat ttheeee heeeel is happening. I was quiet. Calm and collected.   Just waiting for that ddddammmmm grill guard to flop back under the bumper.    I got over and stoped. DW still talking out load I think. I never said a word. Just got out and put the grille guard up in place.

That odd noise was two supports I have on the upper part of the grill guard that needs to be unhooked to put the guard down. They were hitting the seams in the concrete pavement and making that noise that she heard going down the road.

Yep I did it, over a year ago. It has taken this long to admit it. Yes I do stupid stuff at times.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

As we get older, we make more misteaks.  It happens.

As Dad always said, slow down, and let your brain catch up to your azz.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

24 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Ha . I always thought it was less mistakes . After all , we're suppose to be wiser . 

But , maybe you are talking about eating steaks . Yea , we do more of that . LOL ;)

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

So you’re saying let Susan catch up to ya?  (Just kidding my friend, couldn’t pass it up). 😁

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Howdy All,

If I started to make a list of all the dumb stuff I have done, I wouldn't have time to make any more mistakes I'd be to busy writing.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Thanks for sharing. 

Yesterday I decided to take a nice motorcycle ride to my daughters apartment. She is in Florida and told me Christmas day the the cover I put on her car had blown off and she wasn't sure what the thermostat was set at after her house monitor person took off for a week. I decided to surprise her and take a ride up to resolve both issues. 

Getting ready for my ride I decided to put the helmet camera on my new "Heavy Duty" hook and loop pads. I've used them before but always with the wires attached. I decided since I didn't need the wires to record I'd leave them off. Not 2 miles out of town I felt something hit my shoulder and as I looked in my mirror I saw my camera bouncing on the pavement just before being run over by a car. The collar on my coat wasn't latched and had been pushing up on the camera every time I moved my head or so it appears in retrospect. I remember seeing the collar in a couple videos and had told myself I needed to secure that when recording. The only thing that's the same is admitting one's mistakes. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

22 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

So you’re saying let Susan catch up to ya?  (Just kidding my friend, couldn’t pass it up). 😁

Well, she's the brains of this outfit........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Yes I let my guard down again. How stupid could one be. Slipped on ice and fell. Doctors say nothing broken but it has all but stopped me. Only going from chair to potty and back. Counting the floor tiles on that round trip, 17 for that trip. But gaining speed with using a walker as my round trip is taking  half the time it took at 3:30 this morning. My original speed was about like a ant. 

Any stairs are done in 4 legged control. Had to do that to get in rv and out to visit doctors. Hoping to dance tonight.  Maybe with just the toes 

Happy New Year, everyone 

Vern in a T-shirt 

Jesus, Vern! You're well past "bouncing" age, be careful. Look into some of the traction aids available, for walking on ice. Finally got my mom convinced to wear her's after 2 falls in 5 years, along with multiple breaks in separate legs each time.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.