Expanding my comfort zone

GeoKat

I figured I need to get myself in here, sorta a another step to making this transition feel more real. I watched the escapees online university Sunday and getting ready to sign up for April's boot camp. 

Hi, I'm Katie. My 12yo and I are hitting the road in January. Covid, was the truck load of hay that, squashed my business flat. I was a homesteading private cook who grew the majority of the food I cooked with. I might have been able to survive if '19 and '18 hadn't been so hectic. Selling my home will let me help my oldest daughter through university and give me the ability to share new adventures with my tween. So I'm not seeing 2020 as a failure just one chapter coming to an end so a new one can begin. I'm excited about what's coming up next. 

I'm in the process of selling my small Oregon homestead (closing Jan 8th). I have a truck waiting for us in Oklahoma and a 5th wheel waiting in Delaware. I've done a massive amount of research to find what we really need to make the next part of life less hectic. Glass only half full (so it doesn't spill while driving down the road).

I worry a little that I'll be frowned upon for being a single mom going full-time RV life. I know there are single women in the RV world and there are lots of families with kids but I have a long history doing "outside of the box" things. It won't change my mind but it's definitely a lonely place when you're swimming against the current.

Well that's the beginning of my story. The next 4 weeks will be spent purging my home, moving my daughter into an apartment and deciding on a new address. And many many hours of research to get better prepared for life boondocked 14 days at a time. 

Where is the 5th wheel in Delaware??? Just a fyi there is a state park in northern De. that is open year round with full hook ups if your looking for a place to start using it, there are state parks also in lower De that are year round just not sure if full hook ups.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

No one will do any frowning. Be sure to check out Thousand Trails. Many of the parks are family friendly. In Orlando (Clermont), which is a huge park, there are many families who are full timing. Hershey is another one with lots of kids around. Both parks have nice pools, playgrounds, and other activities for the children. Be sure to check out Cape Henlopen State Park in DE.

1 hour ago, dblr said:

Where is the 5th wheel in Delaware??? Just a fyi there is a state park in northern De. that is open year round with full hook ups if your looking for a place to start using it, there are state parks also in lower De that are year round just not sure if full hook ups.

Middletown. I will want to hookup until I get setup for boondocking but plan on being "off-grid" mostly. I watched one guy on youtube who uses a agriculture grade bladder and fresh water tank in his pickup (plus pumps) so he didn't have to packup his rv until his 14 days were up. Just took the truck to the nearest dump site. That's the direction I'm going. 

I'll look up the parks. Thanks!

5 minutes ago, ToddF said:

No one will do any frowning. Be sure to check out Thousand Trails. Many of the parks are family friendly. In Orlando (Clermont), which is a huge park, there are many families who are full timing. Hershey is another one with lots of kids around. Both parks have nice pools, playgrounds, and other activities for the children. Be sure to check out Cape Henlopen State Park in DE.

Thanks! I'll look into those places. I'm looking forward to seeing Florida. I spent all my summers growing up on the west coast. I have yet to see the east coast though.

Welcome! You can do this just fine. We're here to help however we can.

I'm nosy enough to ask what type of schooling are you planning for your daughter? Road schooling, home schooling, unschooling, whatever? You don't need to answer that if you choose not to do so. Choosing what makes you comfortable is a main part of what this lifestyle is about.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

37 minutes ago, sandsys said:

Welcome! You can do this just fine. We're here to help however we can.

I'm nosy enough to ask what type of schooling are you planning for your daughter? Road schooling, home schooling, unschooling, whatever? You don't need to answer that if you choose not to do so. Choosing what makes you comfortable is a main part of what this lifestyle is about.

Linda Sand

I love questions it just reminds me or adds to the list of all the things I will need/want to think about and figure out. I haven't settled on a curriculum yet but her school now which has gone online due to covid is happy to let her finish out the school year. I was working towards a mat with an emphasis on psychology and counseling, with the end goal of starting an outdoor program for troubled youth so I'm not worried teaching her. I know the testing schedule for my state. It'll mostly come down to where we settle our permanent address. I've been leaning towards buying a small plot of land here but I'm still researching the possibilities. It's definitely high on the agenda for figuring out before we go. 

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

Advice : If you plan on spending time on the east coast with a 5th wheel , get a mapping aid that shows low clearance and pay attention . ;)

Thanks for the heads up! Farm country over here is definitely the same way. I've watched a lot of youtube videos that show the downside to not knowing how tall you are. Craziness!

2 hours ago, katphi1618@gmail.com said:

Middletown. I will want to hookup until I get setup for boondocking but plan on being "off-grid" mostly. I watched one guy on youtube who uses a agriculture grade bladder and fresh water tank in his pickup (plus pumps) so he didn't have to packup his rv until his 14 days were up. Just took the truck to the nearest dump site. That's the direction I'm going. 

I'll look up the parks. Thanks!

Ok that's close to us, the state park is called Lums Pond State Park and if you would happen to join Passport America they offer half price Sun- Thursday 

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

3 minutes ago, dblr said:

Ok that's close to us, the state park is called Lums Pond State Park and if you would happen to join Passport America they offer half price Sun- Thursday 

Oh that's awesome. I'll definitely look into passport america and that site. Thanks so much!

Welcome to the full time life. I wish I would have done it sooner and then maybe I'd have it all figured out.  In reality it seems like it's always a work in progress. 

There are many ways to do what you are planning to do, find the one that works best for you and enjoy. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

16 hours ago, lappir said:

Welcome to the full time life. I wish I would have done it sooner and then maybe I'd have it all figured out.  In reality it seems like it's always a work in progress. 

There are many ways to do what you are planning to do, find the one that works best for you and enjoy. 

Rod

I can imagine that learning the ropes at 41 will be less scary then waiting until I'm ready to retire. On the other hand I think it's healthy to be working towards something, even if it's just learning a new lifestyle. Going from farming to living a nomadic life will be a total reinvention for me. 

4 hours ago, katphi1618@gmail.com said:

I can imagine that learning the ropes at 41 will be less scary then waiting until I'm ready to retire.

Welcome to the Escapees and to the Escapee forums. For each of us to go on the road full-time is a pretty personal thing. For us, the fact that we didn't have to concern ourselves with earning a living made it easier, or so we believe. We did start out very carefully on our finances and did a number of things to keep expenses down. If you need to do that you might consider doing some RV volunteer positions that will supply a site and utilities, or some paid ones that supply a site. There are many ways to go about this and your only limitation is your own imagination. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 12/9/2020 at 2:08 PM, Kirk W said:

Welcome to the Escapees and to the Escapee forums. For each of us to go on the road full-time is a pretty personal thing. For us, the fact that we didn't have to concern ourselves with earning a living made it easier, or so we believe. We did start out very carefully on our finances and did a number of things to keep expenses down. If you need to do that you might consider doing some RV volunteer positions that will supply a site and utilities, or some paid ones that supply a site. There are many ways to go about this and your only limitation is your own imagination. 

Thanks!

Years ago I'd heard about being off season park staff and was jealous I didn't have an rv back then. I'm definitely going to look at that option more. 

I've been working on some careful but realistic budgeting (Youtubers are awesome resource) start up and down the road (a little pun intended) Between watching others and understanding what we're comfortable with. Like boondocking for us makes more sense then spending a lot of time in rv parks, the kid and I are huge outdoor enthusiasts, so I'll invest a little more on off grid setup and budget less for hookup sites. 

I have a few gigs I can for on the road. It'll take some practice balancing work and play but it is with any new venture. I'm very much an entrepreneur which is a great talent for on the road. 

But of course I know flexibility and adapting to our new life will be the real adventure. Luckily I'm a writer at heart so I'm looking forward to sharing everything that comes our way.

13 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Health insurance?

One of many things on the list. I haven't decided yet how I'm going to set up residence or where. Until then I will just keep what I have. I've always been self-employed so insurance has always taken a little homework. 

5 hours ago, GeoKat said:

I've been working on some careful but realistic budgeting 

I have an article on my site that was written about 20 years ago about what it costs most people to live in an RV that is as valid today as it ever was. It doesn't give any numbers but explains how to determine what you will spend. What Does it Cost?

56 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I have an article on my site that was written about 20 years ago about what it costs most people to live in an RV that is as valid today as it ever was. It doesn't give any numbers but explains how to determine what you will spend. What Does it Cost?

I appreciate that article. Mostly because like with all areas of life the bottom line is it cost whatever it is you want/have to put into it. What's a realistic budget for me has nothing to do with the person who might be living nextdoor or uptown.

1 hour ago, GeoKat said:

What's a realistic budget for me has nothing to do with the person who might be living nextdoor or uptown.

Exactly. Just as we all live in conventional homes in styles that fit our budgets, that same thing is true in the RV community. And if I park my 8 year old, 20' travel trailer next to a $2million motorcoach, the view from each will be exactly the same. One of my favorite things about the Escapees RV Club is that the common ground of RV living bridges the space between many different types of RV and styles of living. Part of my job at the Escapades (our national RV rally) is counting RVs each day so I get to see them all and there are pretty much every type and size of RV there and most years even a tent or two. Everyone is welcome!

On 12/8/2020 at 4:25 PM, Pat & Pete said:

get a mapping aid that shows low clearance and pay attention

If you have iPhone/Ipad, the AllStays Camp & RV app is useful.  It has clearances, parks, businesses that allow parking, campgrounds, dump stations, RV repair shops and more.

Campendium is also useful.  It is available online and in apps.  No clearances but good campground/park/BLM info.

For mountain grades I don't know of anything better than the Mountain Directory.  It is available in ebook, app, online and in print.  It is pricey, but not as pricey as a ride ending partway down a bad grade.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

15 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

If you have iPhone/Ipad, the AllStays Camp & RV app is useful.  It has clearances, parks, businesses that allow parking, campgrounds, dump stations, RV repair shops and more.

Campendium is also useful.  It is available online and in apps.  No clearances but good campground/park/BLM info.

For mountain grades I don't know of anything better than the Mountain Directory.  It is available in ebook, app, online and in print.  It is pricey, but not as pricey as a ride ending partway down a bad grade.

I do have an iPad. I'll look up the app. Sounds like mountain directory is insurance. lol I hadn't thought of that. I haven't gone more than 150 miles from my home in 16yrs (pitfalls of farm life). I looking forward to brake assistance on my f350 diesel.

15 hours ago, Kirk W said:

8 year old, 20' travel trailer next to a $2million motorcoach, the view from each will be exactly the same. 

I don't think that's completely true. My closest neighbor has a suburbia type home. We both look over my farm, animals, barns, gardens and such. He sees dirt, manure and noisy turkeys (he resents me deeply for not developing my land to expand suburbia), I see dreams, memories and my children growing up half wild and free. 

Perspective from a person who owns a luxury rv (my neighbor does) is seldom the same as someone who rvs on a smaller budget. 

2 hours ago, GeoKat said:

I don't think that's completely true. My closest neighbor has a suburbia type home. We both look over my farm, animals, barns, gardens and such. He sees dirt, manure and noisy turkeys (he resents me deeply for not developing my land to expand suburbia), I see dreams, memories and my children growing up half wild and free. 

Perspective from a person who owns a luxury rv (my neighbor does) is seldom the same as someone who rvs on a smaller budget. 

Oh, how true!  You will be fine on this adventure, and will be grinning when you experience the exact same thing in the RV world.  Enjoy!