DIY : Onan 5000 Generator Fuel Pump ...

Pat & Pete

Just an FYI :

We recently had the fuel pump of our onboard Onan 5000 generator start functioning sporadically . It would be fine for a couple minutes before quitting . After repeating this a few times , it would not function at all , until it cooled . 

Time for a new pump . Onan wants a ridiculous price of about $100 . 

I bought and installed a low volume , reasonably priced , aftermarket fuel pump . The pump I bought has very good reviews . 

Being as the OEM fuel pump is located in such a place as to make replacement a major pain , I left it where it was/is . 

The new pump has been relocated to be much more accessible .

Installation was very simple and done with ordinary hand tools .

We've used the generator a number times since and the pump has functioned flawlessly .

So , for the less than 20 dollar investment and maybe a half hour of very easy labor , we have a generator that functions properly whenever needed/wanted , again . :)

Goes around , comes around .

Pat & Pete AMEN ........The same holds true for sooooooooooo many brands of generators and marine products etc. The name brand, be it Onan or say Mercury etc for Marine, may be 2 to 4 times as high as a generic brand that can do the same job BUT SUBJECT TO the specs being correct which can be a fooler grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

A 12 VDC electric fuel pump needs to be able to supply adequate X CFM flow at adequate Y PSI of pressure while drawing say Z amps..........One thing I did run into using generic elec fuel pumps on small carburetor engines was EXCESS PRESSURE which over rode the carbs needle valve and seat float assembly capability. The pumps pressure cant be too high unlike say a high volume automotive fuel pump.

HOWEVER I have to admit there have been times when I thought Id substitute something cheap thinking it was close enough only to later find out I WAS WRONG grrrrrrrrrrrrr lol

John T   Live from SKP in Livingston Texas, a beautiful warm fall day sitting around jamming bluegrass on my banjo with others... 

• 5 months later...

Just an update/followup :

We've used the generator more than a few times since I installed the replacement fuel pump . 

The big freeze this past winter gave more opportunity than we wanted , as the shore power was lost for a time .

Through the whole 6 months since the installation , the pump hasn't had a single hiccup in operation , nor has it caused any detrimental effect . The generator ran/runs fine without skipping a beat . :)

Our current Onan 5500 has been running with a universal low pressure fuel pump from NAPA for the past 4 years. A previous RV had an Onan Marquis 7000 where the fuel pump also failed, and Onan shops wanted at least $150 for the OEM replacement. I found I could read the pump name and numbers through the Onan paint, and the exact same Carter pump was $52 on Amazon. The only difference was the missing Onan paint and it came with a bunch of unneeded installation parts that I've mostly repurposed for other projects.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

• 2 weeks later...

The Onan Marquis 5000 BGM uses an Onan P/N Onan 149-2267 electric fuel pump made by Carter. The Carter P4070 is the same pump for much less money.

Dutch

17 hours ago, feepfeep said:

is there a way to install a fuel pump on an older model that doesn't have one?

Of course there's a way . You'll likely have to re-route / re-engineer the fuel inlet , but that's expected for any non - OEM configuration . 

I see you have your genset running , according to your other thread . 

There's always more then one way around a bush . ;)

On 5/26/2021 at 8:37 AM, Pat & Pete said:

Of course there's a way . You'll likely have to re-route / re-engineer the fuel inlet , but that's expected for any non - OEM configuration . 

I see you have your genset running , according to your other thread . 

There's always more then one way around a bush . ;)

It crapped out again. I finally understood I don't have a traditional fuel pump but a gravity fed one. I don't think it is working properly or I've got a kink in the line somewhere that is feeding it but I can't see past where it goes into the frame.

Either way I'm ordering a new one and will replace it.

23 minutes ago, feepfeep said:

It crapped out again. I finally understood I don't have a traditional fuel pump but a gravity fed one. I don't think it is working properly or I've got a kink in the line somewhere that is feeding it but I can't see past where it goes into the frame.

Please keep us posted on your progress . :)

44 minutes ago, feepfeep said:

It's not "gravity fed", despite any labels put on it. The pump is capable pulling fuel up at least a couple of feet, and delivering it to the carburetor at 4-6 PSI. Carter sells exactly the same pump as a "fuel transfer pump".

Dutch

On 5/25/2021 at 5:47 PM, feepfeep said:

is there a way to install a fuel pump on an older model that doesn't have one?

The only gas engine without a fuel pump is gravity-fed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961