Navy Federal Credit union or Security Credit Union

RV_

I would like a recommendation for or against these two military affiliated credit unions. I am opening a closer secondary account here in the Springs. Past or current members advice, recommendations, opinions good and bad for each.

Opinions and why would be appreciated. I need to decide by next Monday.

Thanks for the time folks.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have used NavyFederal mainly for savings, CD's and an IRA for at least 5 years maybe more and I have been happy with them. I am in the time where I have to take the RMD required minimum distribution and that has gone smoothly.  Since I am a member my kids are eligable to join and my daughter (45) switched to it about 18 months ago and is happy. I have no experience with Security.  I really prefer credit unions over banks in most cases and have been a member of other military affiliated ones in the past including a second one at this time.  My estimate is that if you use the branches some can be a little better than another but all have worked well for me.

When my GD graduated from HS in HI this spring she decided to go to college in Richmond, VA.  There are no National Bank Branches in HI.  I suggested she setup an account at Navy Federal in HI as there is a Branch about 6 miles from our son's house who lives in Richmond where the GD is stay while in school.  That way her folks can deposit money into her account in Honolulu and she has access to it in Richmond.  So far it has worked out well.  I know that does not help you RV but Navy Federal has been around a long time and is the largest credit union in the States.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Have had accounts at Navy Federal since 1980. Always have had good service. They closed a lot of branches during the base closure years, but it has been over a decade since I have been in a branch office. They have changed their ATM agreements a few times over the years, but have never had a problem finding a free ATM using their on line locator. Direct deposit, IRA distribution and bill pay all have worked well for us.

Edited by trailertraveler

Have to agree Navy Federal is high on my list.  I have been a member for forty years and NEVER had an issue.  ATM agreements make it easy to get cash if needed.  Easy and quick loan approval if needed.  I do have a loan with a local credit union that was able to beat Navy Federal by 0.25%.  I don't think you will regret going with them.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

Thanks guys!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

We are with USAA still and only was going to use the Navy Federal FCU to bring cash to deposit in a local checking account, then write a check for that amount and scan it to USAA.

Navy FCU could work as a permanent main bank and after the responses here and elsewhere, it is the only bet for that here. Navy FCU has live tellers and video screens at the drive through too. USAA is across town for deposits and their drive troughs there are ATMs with no tellers. The lobbies are all closed. NO way am I depositing any cash into ATM machines.

See with USAA and Navy federal we can scan checks in with no holds regardless of amounts. Selling cars and tech toys can be large amounts of cash.

So for now, since all we need is a checking account to deposit cash in, and we are only leaving one or two hundred in, then deposit any cash and write a check and scan it, I decided to just do the bank on the corner and that makes it a two minute drive instead of a 20 minute round trip to Navy. But we still have USAA as our main bank. And the bank also has teller windows and video screens to talk to them with, which is what we want.

Navy may get all of our biz after the pandemic, assuming we stay COVID free ourselves.

Stay safe friends.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

• 4 weeks later...

Good website Ray. But we are only using the library cal bank to deposit cash we can then write a check on it and scan it to USAA. They seem to be getting a lot better. So the devil you know . . .

But for those looking it looks good too.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Just going to throw another one out there. I have had accounts at Security Service, Navy Federal and other over the years. Since you are going to open an account for where you live, I would look at Ent Credit Union. They are the largest in Colorado and have more locations so would likely be more convenient. Oh, yes, and I have an Ent account as well. 

Edited by Chalkie

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Good info Gary, thanks.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998