Ebbie84

Hi Everyone! We are new to the HDT World! My husband and I just purchased 2012 Volvo HDT to haul our 5th wheel. We purchased it in Wisconsin and the Volvo is titled as a motorhome. We went to our DMV in Florida (Hillsborough County) and they would not recognize the Volvo as a motorhomešŸ¤¬Ā and we don't want to register it as a tractor trailer/semi. We want to know if there is an out of state company or a law firm that we can reach out to to get our HDT registered. Any king of help would beĀ much appreciated! Thanks!

{ would love to explain here where to but it would take me a few days to type it all out.Ā  2 things..... 1. Escapees membership in Livingston, TX.Ā  2,Ā Ā  Look in the resource guideĀ  for a boatload of info on everything HTDhttps://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/88214-the-heavy-haulers-resource-guide-hdt-rally-site/

Ā 

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

Ā 

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

In Florida you may be better off registering it as a private truck. Do a search in the forum as I believe there were so old topics on this.Ā 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Ā 

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

The issue in Florida is the fifth wheel.

The tyrants believe that with no load bearing hitch, it won't be used commercially.

We have titled our Volvo in FL, as a motor home, but we do not have a fifth wheel hitch.

Ā 

We simply pull a TT.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"Ā  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Couple of well researched articles on the subject, below.Ā The cautionary tales are primarily related to states being upset about massive tax avoidance on hundreds of thousands dollar rigs sitting in driveways with out of state tags and states occasionally conduct these "hunts". Florida is "difficult" for a reasonĀ few screwballs (car racers, boat racers, horse racers, etc) made it difficult on everybody. The question being "are you making money with that rig"? If yes, it's a commercial rig and has to be registered as such. If you are flying in on your private jet to an event to compete for a tens or hundreds of dollars prize, while the rig your crew chief and the crew is pulling with that cigarette boat on a trailer, or a quarter million dollar horse in the trailer, the state got tired being "persuaded" that these were "recreational vehicles". State drew the line between pickup or MDT, vs. semi (with any kind of fifth wheel hitch). Now, things have "progressed" and the state could make more defined rules, but that takes political effort and capital and most politicians are adverse to making changes and rocking the boat.

I ran into the same problem when we moved to Florida and tried to register my New Hampshire "Volvo 770 motorhome" in Florida. "No way in my city and the county", I discovered. Since we still had property in New Hampshire in a trust, I let the trust "assume the ownership" of the truck and fifth and everything was cool, although not really cool. Florida has a rule that if you spend more than 6 months in a year domiciled in the state you are required to register your vehicles in the state. Again driven by the annual influx of "snow birds" with out of states plates who decide to permanently stay in the state (about 1,000 people per day). People are clever, Florida does have sales tax (city and county and special assessment), it varies from county to county 5-7%.Ā 

Very good friend of mine, RVer, with very large Class A pushers he would "trade up" now and then, had a system. He would buyĀ the Class A in New Hampshire, no sales tax (on couple of hundreds grands, back then) and register it in New Hampshire, for six months. Once it was six months old it was no longer considered "new" by Florida, so he would re-register it in Florida to an address in Florida, he owned an RV lot in a campground in Florida. Why, it was cheaper to register that rig inĀ Florida then in New Hampshire.Ā 

https://www.rv-dreams.com/montana-llcs.html

http://www.myrv.us/Pgs/RV/montana.htm

Edited by phoenix2013

Sdlegislature.gov it is the codified laws I have the number but itā€™s out in the truck and itā€™s raining.Ā 
cooking device-microwave

place to store food-frigĀ 

place to sleep-bunk

heat or air not ran by the truck motor

shore power plug

sink with holding tank fresh/ grey

Ā permanently mounted toilet with tank

i will put codified law number up tomorrowĀ 

SD codified law 32-3-65 Converted motorhome. If yours is already titled motor home you can problem just fill out the registration paper that you can print off there web site and send in, probably donā€™t need to sign the converted title paper but I would make sure you have at least 5 of the 7. When we converted ours from truck to motor home we had to put a check mark by the things we had on it and sign the paper and send it in. If you want it fast you can overnight it and they will overnight it back to you. Call them and get specifics on the expedited service

9 hours ago, Ebbie84 said:

Is there somewhere I can view the requirements?Ā 

https://www.state.sd.us/eforms/secure/eforms/E1827V3-AffidavitForTruckTractorConvertedToAMotorhome.pdf

Ā 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

New Hampshire (and other states) have similar 5 out of 7 requirements to qualify the truck conversion as a recreational (motorhome) vehicle. The easiest way to achieve it is the following:

1. 110VAC RV style input socket (plug) and 110 volts distribution system in the cab. You will need it for other things anyway, like the battery charger, phone, computer chargers, microwave, coffee maker, etc. That meets your external power requirement.

2. Small microwave, that meets your "stove" requirement.

3. Refrigerator, most semis come with a small DC ran fridge anyway, mine didn't I bought small dorm type AC unit to run plugged into 110VAC, eventually I got a DC fridge we could run while traveling, meets the fridge requirement.

4. Toilet, self contained cassette type bought in Walmart for $50 bucks. Met the requirement, set on the floor in the bottom compartment, never used in 15 years of travels with it.

5. Sleeping accommodations, most semis come with one or two convertible beds anyway. You are done, you met the five.

6. Bonus points, some semis come with a small self contained sink and fresh and grey water tanks, you are up to six.

3 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

New Hampshire (and other states) have similar 5 out of 7 requirements to qualify the truck conversion as a recreational (motorhome) vehicle. The easiest way to achieve it is the following:

1. 110VAC RV style input socket (plug) and 110 volts distribution system in the cab. You will need it for other things anyway, like the battery charger, phone, computer chargers, microwave, coffee maker, etc. That meets your external power requirement.

2. Small microwave, that meets your "stove" requirement.

3. Refrigerator, most semis come with a small DC ran fridge anyway, mine didn't I bought small dorm type AC unit to run plugged into 110VAC, eventually I got a DC fridge we could run while traveling, meets the fridge requirement.

4. Toilet, self contained cassette type bought in Walmart for $50 bucks. Met the requirement, set on the floor in the bottom compartment, never used in 15 years of travels with it.

5. Sleeping accommodations, most semis come with one or two convertible beds anyway. You are done, you met the five.

6. Bonus points, some semis come with a small self contained sink and fresh and grey water tanks, you are up to six.

thank you so much!

In Ohio/Indiana, one requirement is a table/seating for dining.Ā  That makes the work station in Volvos an attractive option.

KW T-680,Ā POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire,Ā VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net