630 cab air bags

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Morning,

I will start by admitting that I have not looked at the resource guide YET but I'm on my way. I was hoping that someone would have the proper part number handy. I also know that Rocky has changed them before so maybe he will come install it for me.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

You may need a bad word dictionary to accomplish that project. While your at it go to the next chapter in the dictionary and change the shocks.

That’s what I did.

Note to self.    Soak all connections for 1 week for time to study book.

That’s what I did,,,,        Vern

26 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

5 minute job on my freightshaker. No bolts

Volvos are prone to some common rust points that tends to draaag out the task. And bring Vern's book into play.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

52 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Volvos are prone to some common rust points that tends to draaag out the task. And bring Vern's book into play.

So you are saying they bolt in, mine just lock in with plastic tabs.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

My shock bolts were rusted tight in the shocks. So with 4” grinder I cut the bolts off on the shock side of the mount. Shut mouth from dirt and rust. It also kept bad worlds muffled.

It was not fun and no one stopped to help.  So bad words may have slipped out. Just not loud enough for the DW to hear.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Brad. you know me!  I will always help out a brother in need!  But you might have to wait another 10 to 15,000 miles before I'm able to put both hands on the project!    Let's pick time to talk and we can talk about the finer points of doing that job.  Email me.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Turns out the part number is 21165207 according to the Volvo dealer. Will order 2 and start replacement soon. If I get them replaced and don't lose much blood it will be a success. Stay tuned.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Excellent video!  My only add would be to push and probe every metal part around your bags and shocks for rust and weakness.  Also test the tray that your bags and shocks sit to make sure it has not succumbed to rust.  This tray has drain holes in them but are known to get clogged with road junk and won't drain enough to stop rust.  Again, great video for quickly taking care of the bags.  Replacing the shocks will require a lot more work.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I have not had a chance to watch the video yet but I have watched 4 others on youtube. I will watch it soon. I have the parts but the truck is at the paint shop for a couple of days getting a small spot repaired and then I'll tackle it. Bought 2 bags so I will see how much I bleed on the first one before deciding to change the 2nd one before failure.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

3 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

I have not had a chance to watch the video yet but I have watched 4 others on youtube. I will watch it soon. I have the parts but the truck is at the paint shop for a couple of days getting a small spot repaired and then I'll tackle it. Bought 2 bags so I will see how much I bleed on the first one before deciding to change the 2nd one before failure.

Order a pair of the Donvel Valves to limit the rocking of the cab while you are in there.

The other item to check is the rod on the leveling valve, likely not tight on the balls anymore.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Had time to look at the video and it is one I already watched. Thank you. I like his tip for just cutting off the bottom of the old bag to save the star washer. that is what I'm going to do. time to give the threads another shot. I started doing that 3 days ago. Tomorrow is the day unless it decides to rain on us. And I doubt that will happen.

Edited by Brad & Jacolyn

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Parrformance, great video, wish it was available 15 years ago when I did my air bags and shocks and discover "on my own" what not to do. So what were the "discoveries":

1. Trying to remove the old bag in it's entirety. Cut it apart, it's junk anyway, deal with it in two halves.

2. Didn't soak the nut with DW40 for a week. Even with gentle twisting it sheared off the piddly little spot welds to the sheet metal. Had to create a "special nut", welded piece of stiff wire to the nut, slid it into the tube trying to catch the bag stud protruding into the tube.

Now, the language that Vern is talking about really gets salty, when you move on to removing the old shock and it reaches the depth of hell if try to remove these AFTER YOU INSTALLED A BED ON THE TRUCK. Under both conditions it is almost required to have two men working on it, the topside man sprawled over the frame and the inside man "residing" under the cab and between the frame rails. You can alternate the expletives, or do them in unison and conclude (when done) that hell would be too easy on a Volvo engineer who designed it, 500 years in purgatory doing this job every day would be a more "just" faith.

Oh Henry, I know whatcha mean.  We changed EVERYTHING, including cross member, after it broke on the way to Alaska.

My bed has a headache rack.  Plasma cutter made a nice window to access bags/shocks.  Also did a nice job of slicing some air lines......

WD-40 is fine for removing chewing gum from the bottom of your sneakers, but not worth a hoot for loosening rusted fasteners.  Plenty of better "juices".

Fortunately, Susan likes mechanical challenges, and is partial to impact wrenches.  She even knows a couple cuss words.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Here's the assessment of the Volvo engineer from hell who designed this airbag mounting. The upper stud on the airbag screws into a nut which is positioned inside a sheet metal stiffening channel (tube) under the cab floor. Since that nut is not easily accessible they spot welded the nut to the sheet metal. As Parrformance says you basically hand screw the stud into the nut without putting much torque to do it. Works on the production floor, new truck, new airbag stud, new nut. Introduce moisture and elements to the stud and nut over the years and everything is coated with a nice layer of rust, particularly the airbag stud protruding above the nut. The stud and nut are itty biddy affairs maybe quarter inch and you can develop a lot of torque unscrewing the upper (cut) portion of the bag, hoping that the threads in the nut act as a threading die and cut through the rust on the stud. Little too much torque and the itty bitty spot welds on the nut say  "see you, good buy" and you have yourself a nut spinning together with the stud inside the inaccessible tube.

This generates a string of curses and four letter words that go up into the sky, bounce off the heaven and reach the depths of hell. Why do I mention this? It's a tip for those of you destined for hell. If you are responsible for generating such a string to go up to the heaven, the Lucifer considered this a "reverse atta boy" and you get a one day reprieve from your customary ass roasting in hell. So Brad and Jacolyn, be very careful, that Volvo engineer roasting in hell, is mightily hoping that you snap off either one or both of those nuts.

Edited by phoenix2013

It stopped raining so I tackled it. I followed the steps in the video and everything worked just like he showed except with the bed there is not enough room for the reciprocating saw BUT 2 minutes with a hacksaw blade and the end of the bag came off. The top part of the bag screwed right out like it should. The job is done and I DID NOT BLEED at all. Plus I only used Damn it 3 times and sum bitch twice.

I quite pleased and I'm now having a beer or 3. 😁

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"