Rapid City to Lake Havasu

Twotoes

I will be traveling from Rapid City to Lake Havasu at the end of Sept. Not sure if I should take I-70 west from Denver (going thru the Eisenhower tunnel) to I-15 south thru Las Vegas or stay on 
I-25 south from Denver to I-40 West at Albuquerque. I’m a little worried about the weather on I-70. Your thoughts? I will be driving a Class A DP towing a Jeep Wrangler. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

We have done a similar trip every Fall... Very pleasant time to travel.   For late September, I would think 'weather' and avoid higher elevations.   The route for us in that case would be to leave Rapid City (Hart Ranch), going South on US 79 - US 385 to Sidney, NE, then I-80 to North Platte, NE... then South on US 83 to Liberal, KS... where we would get on US 54... then go South to I-40 arriving at Santa Rosa,  NM, staying a couple days R & R.   In your case, from Santa Rosa, it is a nice drive on I-40 thru New Mexico, Flagstaff, then Lake Havasu.   

I figure the advantage of the 'Plains Route' US-83 is a Fall trip thru southern South Dakota, then a Fall trip thru Nebraska and Kansas... lots of harvesting going on, and even some color.   We used to boondock the overnights, but over the years we have found some nice, quiet, easy pull-thru Parks to stay in as we go, especially in Santa Rosa.   Good luck with things!

Edited by Jim & Alice

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Definitely go the plains route.   For example, Denver is scheduled for SNOW on Tuesday.   You don't say what month, but if November or later, check the weather when you get to Santa Rosa and if necessary head down to I-10 and then take AZ 95 north just before you get to the Colorado River. 

Oops, I missed the September travel.   Then you won't have any problems coming clear across I-40 - - except for the rough payment from Flagstaff to Kingman.   Will rattle any fillings in your teeth - - and we have air bags cushioning our ride.

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

"going South on US 79 - US 385 to Sidney, NE"

I can recommend starting with this route, the roads were great when we took this in 2019.  (We also stayed at the Cabelas campground in Sidney). We had reasons to visit Colorado Springs, so we braved Denver and it was no fun.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Colorado Springs clear up to Cheyenne isn't fun anymore.  Use to be long stretches between cities, now just wall to wall people, shopping centers, and traffic!

Edited by Barbaraok

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Colorado Springs clear up to Cheyenne isn't fun anymore.  Use to be long stretches between cities, now just wall to wall people, shopping centers, and traffic!

Is there a route from Cheyenne to Colorado Springs without going thru Denver?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

38 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

As my Mom says, “If you want to go around your elbow to get to your a@@“ there is. But you will be on much smaller roads and are not maintained like 70 and 25 will be. I’m in Denver right now and I plan on taking 25 S from here.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

42 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

You could take I-80 east to Hwy 71 south to Limon then 24 into Colorado Springs. A little out of your way but we've done that often to avoid big cities.  If you have the time, why not?  It's a lot more pleasurable way to drive.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

2 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Not without going far out of your way. In the 18 years that we lived in Cheyenne, we made that trip numerous times and we have a few times since. It is by far the best way to get there in terms of distance but there are more scenic routes that take far longer by going west and through the mountains, or you could bo east as suggested by 2gypsies and make what would be a 170 mile trip into one of 285 miles. If you do choose to go that way, I suggest that you take US34 south through Greeley and join 71 in Brush, which makes it about 260 miles.  You could also go west into the mountains at Loveland or possibly Boulder and avoid Denver that way too.

So there are several options that would avoid Denver, but none that are very practical. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

You take the E-470S loop that goes around the easy side of Denver instead of I-25 straight through, hopefully on a Sunday with decent weather.

Or, if you have some time, take state highway 79 out of Rapid  City south to the state line and pick up US 385 south to LaMar CO, the US-287 south to Amarillo and pick up I-40 heading west.   Lots of little towns with public parks to stay in on the way down.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834