Hayes brake controller install help needed

trimster

I'm getting the hayse air over electric controller. Need help with the additional parts (exact parts & possible source appreciated), and which air line(s) to cut into. Photos?

I did search the forum and came up empty. I have little luck with the search function.

TIA

Bob 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

...and what are the alternatives?  The one that plugs into the port is out of of our price range with the unit + adapter.

Update: Hayse is 4+ weeks out on delivery to suppliers. Ugh.

Bob

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

The Hayes air line ties into the trailer hand brake line on the dash.  The signal wire TO the Hayes comes off the Brake Light Switch.  Or you can pull a wire from the Jackaloppe brake light wire- truck side.  The Black and White are your power and ground, If you can find a Key'd hot at the fuse panel to tape into its easy.  The blue wire runs back to the Jacky and goes to the Trailer Brake lug on the board input side.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I never could get ours right. Everybody else seem to love them. Voltage checked good. Finally got disgusted and ripped everything out and put on disc. Put air over hydraulic on. Sweet

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

• Phil D changed the title to Hayes brake controller install help needed

I have a Hayes I could sell you.  $.50 on the dollar.  Used but in good shape.  It is the latest model that I bought to replace the old, poor functioning one.  It worked well enough on my air over electric but when I upped the trailer to air over hydraulic disc (more like air over electric over hydraulic disc) it was way too aggressive.  I had to put a stopper on the manual slide to keep it from locking up the trailer brakes.  It is still mounted in the truck.  I found a new Max Brake controller that someone bought and never installed it.  

Use this search string in Google:   site:https://www.rvnetwork.com Hayes

Edited by NeverEasy
Added url

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I guess I'm going to be one who has problems with the Hayes controller.

I have power & ground direct to the batteries. The blue (controller) runs to the Jackalopee controller in. Red (brake light) is not connected.

I'm getting .02 v on the blue wire when manually activating the Hayes. Not what it should be I'm guessing. Trailer attached.. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

And what does this air control do? Can I tie into the black line ?

MDnKmPsl.jpg

Bob

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

bob, 

I don't know if it is similiar to the directlink but with the directlink you  have to touch the brake to activate it. I almost sent mine back because before I call them and they told me the brake has to wired and touched.

Ken....

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

I think I tied into the wrong air lines. Fixing that tomorrow.  Still no reason for the low voltage, yet.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

On 8/28/2020 at 11:50 AM, NeverEasy said:

I have a Hayes I could sell you.  $.50 on the dollar.  Used but in good shape.  It is the latest model that I bought to replace the old, poor functioning one.  It worked well enough on my air over electric but when I upped the trailer to air over hydraulic disc (more like air over electric over hydraulic disc) it was way too aggressive.  I had to put a stopper on the manual slide to keep it from locking up the trailer brakes.  It is still mounted in the truck.  I found a new Max Brake controller that someone bought and never installed it.  

Use this search string in Google:   site:https://www.rvnetwork.com Hayes

NeverEasy... do you still have your Hayes for sale?  I would be interested in buying it from you.  612.269.2376

If you can locate your trailer air brake application circuit T’ing the Hayes there will give you nice progressive braking and allow you to use the trailer air brake control to apply trailer electric brakes vs reaching for the Hayes unit.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.