RV Air filters?

We have two Coleman Mach 15K ACs in our fifth wheel. The OEM filters are a black mesh that seems to have pretty large holes in it... but they catch a lot of dust which I can vacuum and/or wash out. One of the "other organizations" sent out an email about the RV Air filters (link below) which got me to thinking. I had read about them elsewhere but didn't take the time to give them serious consideration. Do any of you use, or have any experience with, these filters? They are rated for "90 days of continuous use" after which they must be replaced (at a cost of about $18 per AC). The manufacturer claims the filters remove mold spores and other allergens which I doubt my OEM filters do. Would appreciate any feedback.

RV Air filters

Thanks,

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

The first question I would ask is how does the "backpressure" from these filters affect the the air flow through the A/C?  You can't get something for nothing.  The nonwoven fabric used in the filter is essentially the same sort of  HEPA filter material that my wife bought and is using in the face masks she is making to give to friends and family.  Even a single layer of that stuff makes it more difficult to breath through, so the 8 layers claimed for these filters will add substantial extra pressure the net result of which will be to make the fan work harder and to reduce the circulation.

If this outfit knows what it is doing they ought be able to quantify the backpressure and discuss the air flow reduction.  It they don't know anything about it or simply wave their hands, I'd look elsewhere.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

41 minutes ago, docj said:

The first question I would ask is how does the "backpressure" from these filters affect the the air flow through the A/C?  You can't get something for nothing.  The nonwoven fabric used in the filter is essentially the same sort of  HEPA filter material that my wife bought and is using in the face masks she is making to give to friends and family.  Even a single layer of that stuff makes it more difficult to breath through, so the 8 layers claimed for these filters will add substantial extra pressure the net result of which will be to make the fan work harder and to reduce the circulation.

If this outfit knows what it is doing they ought be able to quantify the backpressure and discuss the air flow reduction.  It they don't know anything about it or simply wave their hands, I'd look elsewhere.

They claim that it doesn't restrict air flow... however, I got to doing some research on MERV ratings on filters after I posted and MERV 6 (which these filters are rated) does almost nothing for anything under 10 microns. I think I'll save my money...

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

I got an email from the other organization also and clicked on the WalMart link. I have 3 Coleman A/Cs on the roof of my Class A. The filter I would need sells for $14.95 for a 4 pack. I have 9 intake and 9 outtake vents so I would need 18 filters, or 5 packs for almost $75. I think I will pass. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

When we had roof units I went to WalMart and bought sheet-style Filtrete brand material for some type of use?, cut it into the appropriate size to fit our ceiling units. It worked much better than the foam OEM stuff, but it had to be replaced frequently due to the sheer amount of dust and debris it captured.

IMO it did relieve my asthma symptoms, as I could get a full nights sleep.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If it did not unduly restrict air flow and could be done, I can see filtering the out flow to cut down even more dust etc. in the living space.

I use the small cheap ceramic heaters from Walmart a good bit and I have rigged up filters on the back/intake side and I know it has helped a good bit. One of my main locations is near a giant cement quarrey and plant so there is always unseen dust in the air. NM is dusty enough as it is.  I use the washable foam type.

The more filters you add, the more it restricts the air flow and increased the back pressure on the fan which will reduce the air flow.  The outlets do not need any filtration.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 7/21/2020 at 11:07 AM, TXiceman said:

The more filters you add, the more it restricts the air flow and increased the back pressure on the fan which will reduce the air flow.  The outlets do not need any filtration.

Ken

Right,  filters on the intake also reduce dirt/dust buildup on the evaporator coil.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The AC units were made to operate based on a certain air flow. Generally you trade filtration level for volume of air unless it was made for higher levels of filtration. If air quality is an issue then I’d recommend getting a stand alone air filtration unit. Let the AC operate according to its design.

But each time I clean the AC filter I kind of frown a little in the design. However you just have to remember these were made with vacations in mind, not to live inside.

Edited by sheldons65

5 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

Generally you trade filtration level for volume of air unless it was made for higher levels of filtration.

A friend or ours designed his own air filter assembly to overcome that problem. It mounted over the existing intake and extended well beyond the leading edge of the standard opening, thus allowing the use of an air filter that was 10X20 and HEPA approved. The contraption wasn't ugly, but neither was it pretty and it did work. It also lowered the ceiling in that area by about 3".

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks, everyone. Based on further research I had already decided these filters weren't worth it. We do not have issues with air quality and air flow is very important to us. I also like being able to vacuum/wash the current filters rather than having to worry about keeping replacement in stock. 

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015