black and gray tank indicator lights

I own a 2016 Thor Tuscany 40DX and have a panel, like most, that indicate when gray/black tanks are full. Normally in 1/3, 2/3 etc. The gray tank lights indicate that the

tank is full even though I know that it isn't. I have tried chemicals to clear the tank, but have concluded that the sensors are not working in that tank only. My assumption is that

if I really want it checked out it will cost me an arm/leg as it will need to be in a repair shop and they will need to pull the tank. Frankly I may be too cheap to bother and am

hoping that someone might hjave a suggestion and/or had the problem and know how to fix it.

Thanks and Happy 4th.

Tim Martin

You will learn to not worry about what the lights show, but go by knowledge of your usage.   If water backs up in the shower, it is full - that's the signal.   Everyone too learns their lifestyle and figures out how many days they can go, and some tricks, like using a dishpan for washing dishes and then dumping that full dishpan into the toilet (don't flush while pouring as a spoon could be still there - experience is a good teacher) which helps clean the toilet and reduces amount in grey tank.   Another trick is to have a small bucket in the shower and use that to catch the initial water until it warms up - and pour that down the toilet at the next flush.   

Often one of the sensors comes off or is fouled by soap/food tidbits.   Others will give you lots of suggestions for trying to improve - my theory is I know how long I can go (it's ok at first to dump often) and just go with it.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The systems with internal probes are notorious for failing early and often. There are various protocols to clean the sensors but they will stop working again sooner or later (usually sooner).

There is an entirely different type of system available from Garnet Industries called the SeeLevel Tank Monitor system.

It uses sensors attached on the outside of the tanks and is both reliable and accurate. However it is not a simple retrofit unless you have access to at least one side of your tanks, which most RV's do not offer. After having RV's both with the old style system and now the SeeLevel system I very much prefer knowing what my actual levels are. 

SeeLevel Monitor System

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

On ours that comode with burp if tank full. Little bit at first, let it go and you get a big burp and stink. When that happens you will learn to dump at first sign. I leave gray open. But I am always in a park now. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

I have said this before and I am not disputing anyone but in 30 years and 2 1/2 trailers I have never had or heard the "burp" personally.   I sort of feel left out.  That being said I have definitely come to know my rig and my usage of the black and grey tanks and I just know when to dump.

1 hour ago, Tim and Peggy said:

so it seems like the consensus is that like anything mechanical (or electrical) over time they are likely to fail

Of all things that are found in nearly all RVs, the worst reliability is the monitor panel in the typical RV. It is because most manufacturers go cheap and so the tank monitors are the metal button type that send a small current through to detect a level and only work when clean so fresh water usually works, others not so much. The battery meter is no better as most of those are just a cheap voltmeter attached to the power supply of the panel and it is far too inaccurate to tell you much more than you can tell by turning on your ceiling lights. If they are dim the battery is down, if they don't work it is discharged. There are a few high end RVs that come with Sea Level tank monitors that actually work and fewer have a real battery level indication that works.

Other appliances are generally much better and supplied by vendors who warrant them usually longer than the RV warranty. Most appliances will last 10 years or so if used heavily, longer for vacation & weekend use. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

9 hours ago, bigjim said:

I have said this before and I am not disputing anyone but in 30 years and 2 1/2 trailers I have never had or heard the "burp" personally.   I sort of feel left out.  That being said I have definitely come to know my rig and my usage of the black and grey tanks and I just know when to dump.

Brother you are missing a lot. lol. Both units we have had done this. Think vent is down past level of top somewhat. Fluid gets to that level and can't vent.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

20 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Brother you are missing a lot. lol. Both units we have had done this. Think vent is down past level of top somewhat. Fluid gets to that level and can't vent.

Now I've learned something.  Our MH burps and I know that means we've arrived at dump day but I never understood why.

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Thank you all, please call Peggy (my wife of 41 years) and tell her to chill out. "We pay all of this money, why shouldn't  they work? I will pay the phone charges.

Moreover, what does it say that on the 4th of July i (and others) are exchanging messages about gray and black holding tanks.

Happy 4th.!

As mentioned above, the external sensor system used by SeeLevel is quite reliable. Instead of the common "Empty, 1/3, 2/3, Full" indications many of the OEM setups use, SeeLevel II monitors read in percentages for a much better picture of where your tank levels really are. The battery displays in actual voltage of course.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Having owned RV's continuous for 49 years all I can say is I'VE NEVER SEEN CHEAP OEM TANK LEVEL MONITORS THAT ARE VERY ACCURATE OR EVEN WORK GREAT FOR YEARS ON END grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr But hey I've never owned a Prevost either !!!!!

Sure, I have and you can try all the "snake oil" cleaners and one might also check all the electrical splices and connections and wiring, but I'm like you I doubt Id spend a lot of money to have them replaced. If you can get any external or capacitance type of sensors versus the electrical tip probes those may be better ???..  

John T

3 hours ago, oldjohnt said:

I'VE NEVER SEEN CHEAP OEM TANK LEVEL MONITORS THAT ARE VERY ACCURATE OR EVEN WORK GREAT FOR YEARS ON END

Check out the level indications from Garnet Instruments. Slowly there are RV builders that are starting to install them at the factory. The first that I saw them in was from New Horizons, about 15 or 20 years ago. Today they list 17 companies as using their system, including Tiffin, Grand Design, Jayco, and even Keystone.

The type of level sensing technology has been in existence for many years. They use an inductive sensing system which works on any polyethylene or ABS tank. They also make capacitance level sensors and probably some others. The capacitance level sensing technology was in existence on submarines in the early 1960's as it was part of the equipment that I used to maintain. Unfortunately, the RV industry for the most part will use whatever is cheapest as long as not too many others break ranks and start to spend more to get something of better quality. That is beginning to happen at last with tank level sensing systems so most likely there will soon be other companies get into the market for RV systems. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

20 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

Check out the level indications from Garnet Instruments. Slowly there are RV builders that are starting to install them at the factory.

EXACTLY the newer capacitance and external sensors are farrrrrrrrrrrrr better then what was used and I saw so many fail over 49 years grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. As I said cheap OEM units were never very accurate or lasted long grrrrrrrrrrrr but there's hope for the future yayyyyyyyyyy

Nice chatting with you take care now

John T