Modem/Router Combo

DJW

My niece who just finished her Masters in Special Education for the Deaf at U of U is setting up her first real home now that she has a real job.  She is not doing cable TV but streams all her TV via Apple TV and hulu I believe.  Anyway looking to buy her own Modem/Router Combo instead of renting from Cox's.  In researching the top 5 modem/routers combos for 2020 and looking at the list of modem/routers on the Cox web page I have narrowed it down to 3 off the Top 5.

Motorola MG7700 which is 24x8  DOCSIS 3.0 $169.99 on Amazon and from $160 to 239.99 on E-bay

Netgear C6250 which is 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0, Which was listed as Best for Streaming.  New Egg $150  Amazon $89.99

Netgear C7800 which is 32x8 The only one that is DOCSIS 3.1.  Which was listed as Best for Gigablast.  This the most expensive at $329 on Amazon and $369 on by E-bay and from Dell.  This is the one I want to recommend.  More expensive but with newer Tech at a 3.1 which should handle upcoming upgrades at Cox and Infinity.  Why buy old Tech at 3.0 when it is already outdated especially since you will be streaming everything you watch on TV.

Any thoughts or recommendation would be appreciated.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

I have but decided it worked best for Katy keeping it as simple as possible with 1 combo unit.  It will take a little longer to pay for itself by getting the Netgear C7800 but I think in the long run it will work out better for her.

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

3 hours ago, Chalkie said:

My only criticism on the C7800 is that it does not offer 5GHz wifi. I have come to appreciate the 5GHz wifi in my home.

I understand and respect Dennis's decision to keep it as simple as possible for Katy.

For me, 5GHz is nearly a mandatory.  My only internet access is through cellular hot spots, that create a local WiFi network for me.

5 GHz has a much faster transfer capability than 2.4 GHz.  And the 5GHz channels are typically far less congested than the 2.4 GHz ones in RV parks.  Partially because most parks and RVers don't use 5 GHz.  Also because 5GHz signals don't travel nearly as far as 2.4 GHz ones do.  So your neighbors are much less likely to interfere with your local WiFi network on 5 GHz than 2.4 GHz.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

We used a Pepwave SOHO which was a 2.4/5GHz router with WiFi-as-WAN.  This had everything of ours connecting to the Router.  The router would connect to park WiFi via WiFi-as-WAN, or through a Ubiquity Bullet for more WiFi range, or though our Version Wireless Modem with a roof antenna.  The only thing we had to do was set the connect for the router.  All our devices works because the router was common.

We focused on park WiFi when we could.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Ok Guys thanks for the input.  I am changing my recommendation to the following and I look forward to your suggestions as to my choice.

ARRIS Surfoard SBG 8300 DOCSIS 3.1 Gigabit Cable Moden & AC2350 Dual Band WiFi Router.  Approved for Cox and Ifinity.  Plus it is cheaper than the C7800

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M9J3XW2?tag=techiepassion-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Dennis

Edited by DJW

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

23 hours ago, Chalkie said:

My only criticism on the C7800 is that it does not offer 5GHz wifi. I have come to appreciate the 5GHz wifi in my home.

Great catch. I did look at the spec. I also would not get anything that didn't have 5GHz.

2020 Platinum F350 6.7L CC DRW, 2021 Riverstone Legacy 37mre 5th wheel

24 minutes ago, DJW said:

Does anyone see a problem with AARIS Surfboard Modem/Routers?  Are these generally considered good units?

Dennis - I have no experience with them and I suspect few do, on this forum.

Tom's (now owned by Conde Nast, as is Ars Technica) is one of the better hardware review sites on the web, IMO.

This might be useful.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/best-modems,review-2832.html

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

On 6/9/2020 at 3:34 PM, DJW said:

Does anyone see a problem with AARIS Surfboard Modem/Routers?  Are these generally considered good units?

Dennis

I had a AARIS Surfboard modem (only) several years ago as that was what my internet provider at the time was, well, providing. I never had any complaints but I can not address today's quality/reliability. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Dennis,

I bought a combo Arris Surfboard and I just so happened to buy the 3 year warranty for 3 bucks. It died 18 months later. My only claim and payment with Squaretrade (ST) out of ten or so. I do use ST for my expensive items. Sorry I just saw this. I am partial to Linksys and my last place had their modem and their router. Now I am with CenturyLink and they have a crazy pretend fiber that is really fancy DSL but since I am within a block of the fiber node I do get the full 150 Mbps and am on a 50 bucks a month never increase guarantee. But I have to use their all in one modem/router. that I rent because the combo unit is over $200 new and I've heard from others here that if you get your own they blame your hardware for any issues. I have had to replace two of their off brand combo units in the 8 months I've been here.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire