Need a "USED" speedometer, to fit 2000 era Pete 379

mr. cob

Howdy All,

After 1,629,231 miles the speedometer on my Pete has died. ☹️ The speedometer itself still works, the odometer and the trip meter no longer work.  I have sent it in to the folks who built the original and asked to have it evaluated for repair, sadly they no longer make the parts to fix it.  They do sell its replacement and the price isn't bad, $183.35 plus shipping however the new unit doesn't quite look like the old one.  One of the things I love about my truck is the full complement of gauges, gauges that look like gauges, this new gauge is the same size, will fit into the same location, plug into the same wiring harness but it only goes to 80mph has a different looking face and has digital odometer and trip meters.  So if anyone can offer any advise on how to procure a stock speedo for my truck I sure would appreciate it, I don't care what the mileage shown says I know the actual mileage on my truck and will keep the original speedo to keep track of total miles in addition to what I put on any new or replacement speedo.  I am going to try and find out what years used this particular speedo but I am including a photo of the gauges now in the truck in case anyone should run across what I am looking for.  Thanks for any help you can give.

IMG_2632-XL.jpg

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

9 minutes ago, spindrift said:

thepetestore.com

Deep South Truck Salvage

Vanderhaags

http://www.russfisher.net/default.htm

https://www.dansshopinc.com/store/

Howdy spindrift,

THANKS, for the information.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

7 hours ago, spindrift said:

thepetestore.com

Deep South Truck Salvage

Vanderhaags

http://www.russfisher.net/default.htm

https://www.dansshopinc.com/store/

Hey Tom, what year's your Pete, and why haven't you "Presented it to the tribe."  We want pics.....

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Let me get a picture of the speedo in my 377 cab and see if it is the same. It is a 1995 377. It would increase the value of your 379 by a couple hunnerd thousan miles, but I'll give it to you if it is the right style. It all worked last time I drove it. I think it shows right close to 1.5 mill.

I'm a work'n on it.

The peer pressure from @rickeieio was too great so here are a few pics of my new ride.  It's a 2004 Pete 379 with an ISX and an Eaton 18.  There are 400K miles on the rebuild and 1.25M on the chassis.  My very first two mods were to change out a rather grimy steering wheel and to ditch that Outlaw shifter.  It hurt this old man's shoulder too much to reach that high!  In addition, those tall shifters put waaaay too much strain on the shift tower...not to mention the fact that it just looks plain idiotic, imho.  

AyAiXhll.jpg

BCc4REEl.jpg

M5y8Xqql.jpg

SBTrMFPl.jpg

676OdKPl.jpg

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

2 hours ago, Sehc said:

Howdy Sehc,

I have dealt with Summit in the past good place to get parts for sure.  "MY" problem is I want to retain the "look" of the original dash, all those replacement speedos would work but in my mind they would really clash with the other gauges and look very out of place in the truck. 

The long nose Pete, the older long nose KW, just have a "LOOK" that is to some of us truly classic and its a mortal SIN to do anything that detracts from that look.  Yes I know, kinda dumb but it is what it is and I fall into that batch of eccentric relics that were just built that way.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

My apologies, Dave.  I didn't want to muck up your thread.  My intent was to start a new thread...I actually thought I had, but everything ended up here.  SORRY! 

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

1 hour ago, Deezl Smoke said:

Let me get a picture of the speedo in my 377 cab and see if it is the same. It is a 1995 377. It would increase the value of your 379 by a couple hunnerd thousan miles, but I'll give it to you if it is the right style. It all worked last time I drove it. I think it shows right close to 1.5 mill.

Howdy Deezl Smoke,

Sir, if you have a functional speedo that looks like mine I would honored to BUY it from you, I sincerely appreciate your offer to donate it but such things are getting very hard to come by and do have value to those of us who wish to retain the "look" of our classic trucks.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

10 minutes ago, spindrift said:

My apologies, Dave.  I didn't want to muck up your thread.  My intent was to start a new thread...I actually thought I had, but everything ended up here.  SORRY! 

Howdy spindrift,

Not a problem, I really have dash envy now that you have posted photos of your beautiful truck, that BIG pyro gauge just does things to me.  Truly a very nice rig that has some very expensive after market pieces in the interior I can't believe what those rosewood arm rests cost as well as the upper door panels and all the chrome.  I concur that the extended shift has to go but man I am lovin my new lowered seats so much more comfortable.

EDIT, I just noticed you have the large I am guessing 150 gallon fuel tanks, wish mine were that size my truck has the smaller 125 gallon tanks I sure miss having the larger tanks like my Freightliner had.

Dave

Edited by mr. cob

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Thanks, Dave.  I purchased the truck last October and have spent hours getting it ready for the road.  Indeed, those are twin 150s...very nice.  She was a Team truck in an earlier life.

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

Hey Dave,

I dont imagine you are the only person needing guages.  Like LDTs, have you looked to see if your can be rebuilt?  I cant imagine that there arent companies that rebuild those.  Might take a bit of looking.  I rebuilt a cluster complete in my Chev work truck, which IF I had gone to the dealer, they would have sent it to a place like the one I used, and charged me a hefty markup for their services.  I found a guy that was mobile and had it all completely done at my yard for a very reasonable price.

Perhaps something like this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-Peterbilt-379-Speedometer-Repair-Service-/253576388369

Marcel

39 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Hey Dave,

I dont imagine you are the only person needing guages.  Like LDTs, have you looked to see if your can be rebuilt?  I cant imagine that there arent companies that rebuild those.  Might take a bit of looking.  I rebuilt a cluster complete in my Chev work truck, which IF I had gone to the dealer, they would have sent it to a place like the one I used, and charged me a hefty markup for their services.  I found a guy that was mobile and had it all completely done at my yard for a very reasonable price.

Perhaps something like this:https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-04-Peterbilt-379-Speedometer-Repair-Service-/253576388369

Howdy rpsinc,

I also posted my plight on Donna's facebook account, I post on the HDT list over there under her name. One of the replies I got over there mentioned the shop in your link, I am now in email contact with this shop and with luck I'll be able to get my old speedo repaired.  Thanks for your help and the link as others may find it useful as I have.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

There just is something comforting about repairing something that still has life rather than replacing it and throwing the old one away.

Kinda like rebuilding my roto hammers instead of replacing.  I have some that have me well for more than 20 years.  Cant get rebuild parts anymore.  I never thought I would work those tools that long.  

Marcel

1 minute ago, rpsinc said:

There just is something comforting about repairing something that still has life rather than replacing it and throwing the old one away.

Kinda like rebuilding my roto hammers instead of replacing.  I have some that have me well for more than 20 years.  Cant get rebuild parts anymore.  I never thought I would work those tools that long.  

Howdy rpsinc,

I agree, I remember as a kid my Dad fixing just about anything that broke and being able to make or buy the parts to do so, many people earned a good living by repairing things.  I am not comfortable in this throw away society, my love of all things old fashioned to include trucks is just a part of me.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Kind of like the idea of needing a tool, find one to buy.  I have lots of tools I have made for specific tasks or jobs and then others that I made with the intent to be multi functional.  Some I have had for many decades and still use.  In fact I still have the ratchet and socket set my Dad bought me in 1977, which started my mechanical career.  I carried it in a small 6 drawer top box along with other tools I added till it became too small.  I now have a 3000SF shop, a 16' enclosed trailer, a small welding trailer, a service truck stocked with tools- a Miller Trailblazer and torch set and my RV hauler with a Stalick bed.  All stocked ready to work as needed.  

And even at this, I sometimes find I need to make or buy a different tool to get a job done.

Marcel

1 minute ago, jcussen said:

Howdy Jcussen,

I really do appreciate your reply and offer to help, but any of the speedometers on that site would clash with the rest of my dash, keeping the "traditional" look is of great importance to me.

Dave

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

5 hours ago, spindrift said:

It's a 2004 Pete 379 with an ISX and an Eaton 18.

Dang Tom, that's a nice ride.  Now you need one of Henry's hitches.  And to retire, of course.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

43 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Dang Tom, that's a nice ride.  Now you need one of Henry's hitches.  And to retire, of course.

Thanks for the kind words.  She's a work in progress, but so far I'm extremely impressed.

As far as retirement, onee persuasion at a time...one persuasion at a time.  ;)

Edited by spindrift

2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M

5 minutes ago, noteven said:

Um mr cob, like, why would your 379 need a > 80mph speedo meter? 😀

Howdy noteven,

I'll plead the 5th, I refuse to answer that question as it may tend to incriminate me.

That said for the record, the ECM de-fuels the engine at 94mph and I know that to be a fact, GPS verified.  Just cuzz it's old don't mean it's slow. 😉

Dave

Edited by mr. cob
cuz icant sqel

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg