Toll Roads in FL

Twotoes

Heading to FL for the winter. Not familiar with toll roads. Lived most of my life in CA and used freeways. I see that there are several options. I have a Class A, a Jeep Wrangler tow and a Harley. I can purchase a transponder from Sun Pass, EZ Pass , E Pass and E Pass Extra. Been told that Sun Pass works everywhere in FL, EZ Pass does not, E Pass also does not and E Pass Express works everywhere in Fl and 18 eastern States. What are most of you using?

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

With the exception of the Florida Turnpike and one short road north of Tampa, you will not see any toll roads north and west of Orlando. They are mainly east of Orlando, in Orlando or down in Dade and Broward counties. Aka Miami/Launderdale. And those areas are infested with northeastern transplants who brought their NE ways with them.

We used the suction cup Sunpass transponder so we could move it between the car and motorhome.  Multiple winters in Florida in areas where the toll roads were much faster and less stressful than the alternatives convinced us it was a good move. 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Bah! Humbug! No toll roads for us. In the Northeast it is almost impossible without using the tolled roads. That's why we only go there to support our son and family in New Hampshire.  Most of the country you can find alternatives to the money roads.  We really like the US and state roads. Try US 36 across Kansas and Missouri. Nice road and nice towns to drive through.  Use US 64 to go east and west. Or US 50. Around the big cities we either avoid completely or use the big roads. 

Bill me

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

In Florida, there are a couple of places on non-toll roads where an express lane is toll. I got caught once and had a large toll come in the mail. I invested in a Sun Pass. I use ez pass north of carolina and sun pass below virginia.  When I'm moving north and south on the east side,  the toll passes are well worth having.

I’m the OP. I will be in the Orlando area. I am being told by friends who live there that the roads around Orlando are very crowded and that there are many toll roads with less traffic to get around and that I will need a Sun Pass. Just trying to decide if I need to buy a  Sun Pass,

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

39 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I’m the OP. I will be in the Orlando area. I am being told by friends who live there that the roads around Orlando are very crowded and that there are many toll roads with less traffic to get around and that I will need a Sun Pass. Just trying to decide if I need to buy a  Sun Pass,

What you have been told is certainly true. I load in Orlando regularly and I've pretty much given up on the congested non-toll roads. A Sun Pass is essential, particularly as many gates are unmanned and the toll by plate charges are higher. Jay

We have the sun pass as we winter in Florida. We also have the Ezpass.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.