repairing roof

rving mr

Hi all i'm new hear

My EPDM or the other rubber roof looks ok. But I have a spot wear it looks like a branch poked a hole and than was calked(lap sealant). I just noticed that the ply wood there is badly rotted about 1 foot across. It feels like some of the wood framing might also be rotted. Should I just peel the roof back(can it be reused ?) and replace the wood or just do the EPDM rubber roofing coating system ? I live in it and have lots of rain coming withing 3-5 weeks. I can get a carport tent with clear tarps to work on it.

I need to do some lap sealant and the EPDM rubber roofing coating. What one should I do first ?

Welcome to the forums! I think that you need to address the rotted wood first, as that will continue to get worse due to dry rot, even if you do prevent further water penetration. In addition, if there is structural damage you do need to correct that as you may have a weakened roof structure. That might cause you other issues from vibrations when you travel. 

Once you repair the wood underlay and structural members, you can get a wide range of Dicor repair products from Amazon or many other RV parts supply houses. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Good morning Mr. That soft rotting plywood and especially roof frame member ISNT GOING TO GET BETTER OR CURE ITSELF and needs replaced else it gets worse over time.  As far as any "temporary" leak stop be sure and use EDPM approved repair/patch products available at RV dealers or on line. For minor leaks/cracks I've had good luck first covering with Eternabond Tape followed up by Dicor. If you choose to "peel the roof back" as you asked I would use ALL NEW replacement EDPM approved procedures versus using the old portion.

NOTE:  I'm NOT any EDPM roofing expert (although the above did work for me) so I suggest you consult with trained professionals prior to making your decision   

Best wishes,

John T

You may also consider using commercial EPDM liquid roof products(if you have access to them) to do some repairs or can also do a complete reroof after making the necessary repair.  I have done a number of RV roofs, and for what you are looking to do, Eternabond is not in my opinion a lasting option plus most EPDM products dont like the cover tape, no adhesion to it from EPDM.  You might also try using shower liner material, some home centers carry it and sell it by the foot (or polyester mesh embedded in the liquid EPDM).  After the repair of the wood, use the recommended adhesive and then use an EPDM liquid coating, perhaps Liquid Roof, and build up many coats for a long lasting roof, esp. since you are fulltiming in it.  Liquid Roof is a bit thin so many coats will be best, but if you have access to liquid EPDM commercial roofing(NOT ACRYLIC STUFF LIKE HD CARRIES, that stuff will peel off in travel) will be a better option.  Your sublayer must be as clean and dry as possible.  This stuff works well but does not stick to dirt or grime.

Marcel

This Amazon page has everything you need to patch a small area or redo the whole roof, pick yer poison: https://www.amazon.com/dicor-rubber-roof-repair-kit/s?k=dicor+rubber+roof+repair+kit

Stick with Dicor (pun int.) they are manufacturers of EPDM Rubber roofing.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

ty all

If I put a carport tent over it will it prevent further mold/rotte to hold off repairs for spring/summer ?

I don't have money saved up for buying a role of the EPDM roof or the liquid roof material for a few months. I did get another person saying I might be abule to cut a flap out off the EPDM over the rotte and repair the wood and put patch's on seam's of the flap.

No, the rot will slowly continue until it's repaired, or the roof caves in. At this point, I'd wrap a tarp on it for the winter, and deal with it in the spring. The rot will only proceed by the tenths of an inch per month, but the winter will give you a chance to gather some resources and knowledge for an attack come spring.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, rving mr said:

If I put a carport tent over it will it prevent further mold/rotte to hold off repairs for spring/summer ?

Hey that beats doing nothing even if obviously not any permanent solution and it wont get much worse until spring provided water is kept away. Next spring you can replace any rotten wood then do a bang up job with all the available EDPM and Dicor DIY affordable patch solutions out there. About every year I clean my rubber roof, inspect for any cracks or openings, apply lap sealant anywhere necessary and apply a fresh clean white rubber roof coat makes it look so nice.   Again on minor tears where I applied Eternabond Tape, Lap Sealant and rubber roof coating over all it never leaked again...……...I'm NOT necessarily recommending this ONLY saying it never leaked..

John T  Still NOT an EDPM expert, so check with the roofing professionals and follow instructions.

Edited by oldjohnt

• 3 weeks later...

I have used Dicor Sealant for the past 10 years. The major destroyer of a nice RV is water intrusion. Although butyl tape is used under vents, railing and windows, especially on horizontal applications you need additional sealant.

I personally check my sealant twice a year for any deep cracks. The wise thing is replace the sealant before it leaks... NOT after.

Yes it takes 8-10 tubes to reseal my 30’ Rockwood. But it cost me $800 to repair a delamination bubble on the slideout 2 years after I bought my RV.

I’ve used the Dicor Lap Sealant for the years since and never had another problem.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...