SD PMB not considered a in state address

Twotoes

I am full time and use the Escapees SD address. I got my renewal notice for my RV, Jeep and Harley. I mailed in a check for the renewal, to avoid paying a credit card fee. I just got a call from the Pennington County Treasurer Office notifying me that they got my check but that they would not accept my check because they do not take out of state checks. I advised them that it is an instate check at the address that I am registured at, a SD address, where I am also registered to vote. They advised me that they do not recognize a PMB as an in state address. They said they could only accept a cashiers check or credit card but if using a credit card there was an additional fee. It cost me an additional $25 to use my credit card. So now the Escapees SD mailing address is not considered a SD address. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

46 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I am full time and use the Escapees SD address. I got my renewal notice for my RV, Jeep and Harley. I mailed in a check for the renewal, to avoid paying a credit card fee. I just got a call from the Pennington County Treasurer Office notifying me that they got my check but that they would not accept my check because they do not take out of state checks. I advised them that it is an instate check at the address that I am registured at, a SD address, where I am also registered to vote. They advised me that they do not recognize a PMB as an in state address. They said they could only accept a cashiers check or credit card but if using a credit card there was an additional fee. It cost me an additional $25 to use my credit card. So now the Escapees SD mailing address is not considered a SD address. 

I'm the Communications Director for Escapees, and want to chime in to let you know that I've seen and shared your comment with our board. This is not my area of expertise, so to avoid giving you inaccurate information, I've sought their input. I'll let you know what I find out.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention!

Communications Director

signature logo a.jpg

I am thinking the issue is what Kirk W has brought up.  "Out of state bank" makes the most sense.  There are other businesses who don't want to take checks from an out-of-state bank.  Thinking that it is customary to move your financial interests to a state that one claims as a domicile, so then, it should not have been a problem.

Yep, has to be from an in-state bank:

https://dor.sd.gov/Motor_Vehicles/Titling_and_Registration/Methods_of_Annual_License_Renewal.aspx

Cathy

The bank is Wells Fargo. The branch is in Rapid City a couple of blocks down the street from the tax office. They specifically told me that the PMB address is considered an out of state address and that was why they would not accept my check. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

Georgianne I have left a message for Shawn but he has not called me back yet. Thanks for looking into this. It is not Escapees fault, just another hurdle that us full timers have to deal with. I have been seeing posts on here also discussing buying a gun using the PMB address and applying for a concealed weapon permit using the PMB address and being denied even tho you pass the background check. Seems like SD is willing to take our money to registure our vehicles but doesn’t want to give us resident status using a PMB. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

Wasn't there issues with this in the past when using the Escapees in SD.  It had something to do with the mail forwarding service being in TX or something along those lines.  I take it one's mailing address is SD and the address on the check is SD, and not involving the state of TX?

SD does not have to allow RVers to domicile there at all, and I believe they are not the most friendly on the issue.  Just something to think about when making a choice.  See how many issues are involved before making a choice.

Cathy

The person at the tax office said that no PMB is considered a In State address, not just the Escapees address. I have heard that many in FL are having problems with mail forwarding address too. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

I've been renewing my SD registrations online for years and it sure doesn't cost me an extra $25 to do so.  The renewals are mailed to my PMB which is also the address on my license.  Haven't had a problem yet and you don't have to deal with the county office where you are registered: SD Cars website

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

1 hour ago, docj said:

I've been renewing my SD registrations online for years and it sure doesn't cost me an extra $25 to do so.  The renewals are mailed to my PMB which is also the address on my license.  Haven't had a problem yet and you don't have to deal with the county office where you are registered: SD Cars website

We have a SD PMB, but not with Escapees and I just renewed our 3 vehicles online at the above web site.  They offered a payment through electronic funds for an additional $1.50, which we used.

Jim and Kellie

2017 DRV 38RSSA Mobile Suite

2016 Western Star 5700xe

YouTube Channel

tZlofkCl.jpg   

17 hours ago, Twotoes said:

The person at the tax office said that no PMB is considered a In State address, not just the Escapees address.

So this person is saying their fellow officials the County Clerk & SD Sec of State are violating the law by registering out of state voters? and the SD DMV  &  DL Bureau are licensing out of state drivers?  and the local Sheriff is violating the law by issuing SD resident concealed carry permits to PMB residents? SD game & fish dept is violating their laws by granting resident hunting & fishing licenses to PMB residents? 

The above has all been going on for many many years, with the approval of all officials involved. what did this treasurers clerk quote that changed all this all of a sudden?

They didn't want to accept your check, but the reason given sounds fishy.

I've been registering my 6 SD vehicles for 12 yrs using the Americas Mailbox PMB address on my vehicle registrations & Titles, my SD DL, my voter registration, my SD CCW permit, my SD resident hunting & fishing lic,  and my Wells Fargo checks.  There must be more to this story

Jim

The extra $25 was a service fee for using a credit card. It was not DMV it was the County Tax Office. They were not refusing to registure my vehicles with a PMB address, they were refusing to accept my check with a PMB address saying they consider a PMB to be an out of state address and they do not accept out of state checks. It doesn’t matter if I use PMB, Apt or #, they know the address of 315 Villa Dr as an Escapees address. I have a message in to Escapees legal and am waiting for a call back. I was not aware, nor was I advised by the clerk that I could renew online using SD Cars and avoid the credit card service fee. I will go that route next time. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

saying they consider a PMB to be an out of state address

Thats the key part I'm interested in. the rest is just fluff. Because if the Pennington County Treasurer says all PMB addresses are not in state. Then they are also saying that the 12 other County & State officials who do accept PMB addresses for every other state function, must be in violation of some new ruling that only the Treasurers office is aware of. 

The Pennington County Treasurer may have the authority to say they will not accept any personal checks from a PMB or not accept personal checks for any other reason. But they don't have the authority to override numerous state laws that define residency & domicile and allow for PMB addresses as acceptable for every in state requirement. Those are 2 completely different issues: whether the Treasurer will accept your check vs whether a PMB address is accepted for all in state registration & licensing requirements.  Someone seems to be mixing the two together

Maybe its just a matter of the wording, but saying the Treasurer will not accept my check because it has a PMB address; is 180% different than saying the Treasurer is changing existing law by defining a PMB address as out of state.

Jim

Maybe its just a matter of the wording, but saying the Treasurer will not accept my check because it has a PMB address; is 180% different than saying the Treasurer is changing existing law by defining a PMB address as out of state.

The Treasurer would not accept my check with a PMB address because they consider a PMB as an out of state address, it is not 180% different, it is the same. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

5 hours ago, Twotoes said:

The Treasurer would not accept my check with a PMB address because they consider a PMB as an out of state address

So your PMB doesn't have a local zip code? How can a local zip code be labeled as out of state?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We've been registering our vehicles through Americas Mailbox since we went full time and established our domicile in SD.  They send us an email verifying what vehicles we have, and after I email back what we have, they email the amount of a check to be made out to Pennington County Treasurer, and they request it as cashiers check, which costs us nothing extra at Wells Fargo.  Have never had a problem doing this.

Edited by 57becky

Yes Kirk, in the future I will just go to Wells Fargo and get a Cashiers Check payable to Pennington County and mail it into them. By the way after several calls to Escapees I have not had anyone call me back. I think Escapees is dropping the ball on this one. I know it is a minor point that can be corrected with a Cashiers Check but the issue regarding buying a weapon needs to be resolved. The only alternative is to avoid Schields, Cabellas and Runnings and purchase from a Mom and Pop store. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

4 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Yes Kirk, in the future I will just go to Wells Fargo and get a Cashiers Check payable to Pennington County and mail it into them

I don't understand why you would prefer to do this rather than to use the SDCars.com website.   That's what it's there for.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

Because I don’t have WiFi most of the time. Im not as high tech as you docj. 

With all due respect.  Using SDCars is no more complicated than paying any other bill online and you only need a connection for a few minutes in order to use it.  

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Hi Folks,

Please know that we are aware of this issue and are in contact with the county, in hopes of trying to resolve this issue quickly. I will let you all know what I learn and our next steps as an organization, as I have them.

Best wishes,

Shawn R. Loring, Esq.

CEO/Attorney

Escapees RV Club