Goodyear Marathon Blowouts & Walmat won't remove wheels

DavidCD

15 minutes ago, SWharton said:

The entire tire situation is not helped by changing the way tires are defined. In the past number of plies were  a reference, no longer. In the past "G" meant a load factor, now the letter is a "speed rating" but sometimes not. Then the confusion of the different sizes and needing to change sizes because you want to change mfgs. and changing sizes can impact the speedometer and odometer(I don't worry too much about that).

The G does mean load rating, this explains:http://www.best-tire-review.com/about-your-tire.html

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

1 hour ago, Ray,IN said:

The G does mean load rating, this explains:http://www.best-tire-review.com/about-your-tire.html

I was looking at a tire website the other day and the only letter was an L, deeper down in the description the letter G was mentioned. In the past the reference was always a G or H. The first time I saw an L my thought was that that would be a very stiff tire and I wasn't interested.

Load Range and speed rating are both often designated by letters. The load range is usually following directly after the tire size designation and many tires say "Load Range X". The speed rating is designated by a letter often following numbers related to load rating (i. .e. 117/114/N in the case of the Goodyear Endurance). I believe the standard for ST tires is still that if they are not specifically marked, they are speed rated at 65MPH. The Carlyle and Goodyear Endurance tires I have seen are clearly marked with a speed rating. 

On the Walmart pulling TT wheels question, our daughter-in-law works for a company with a small mini-van delivery fleet that uses Walmart auto shops for basic maintenance. She's sometimes  picks up or drops off vehicles at two different Walmart locations. I mentioned the TT problem to her this afternoon, and she said one of the locations she goes to will do some work in the parking lot but the other won't. She said the difference is that the Walmart location that does do some work outside of the shop owns the parking lot while a shopping center management company owns it at the other location, and the insurance coverage and restrictions are different at each place.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

7 hours ago, SWharton said:

The entire tire situation is not helped by changing the way tires are defined. In the past number of plies were  a reference, no longer. In the past "G" meant a load factor, now the letter is a "speed rating" but sometimes not. Then the confusion of the different sizes and needing to change sizes because you want to change mfgs. and changing sizes can impact the speedometer and odometer(I don't worry too much about that).

The tire rating system has not really changed as much as it has evolved to be more precise. Tire Rack has an excellent explanation.  And yes, it is possible to have a speed rating of G, but not too likely as that is only 56 mph. As to Load vs. Ply with modern technology far greater loads can be achieved with fewer actual plies whichis why the Letter rating is dying. The common D, E, G, H rating common to RVs and in our discussions are actually a thing of the past and the load ratings as explained the link are the way to go. Changing the size of tires on a trailer is not necessarily a big deal and on most newer vehicles, if one is willing to pay the price, electronics can be reprogrammed to account for tire size differences.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

11 hours ago, SWharton said:

I was looking at a tire website the other day and the only letter was an L, deeper down in the description the letter G was mentioned. In the past the reference was always a G or H. The first time I saw an L my thought was that that would be a very stiff tire and I wasn't interested.

Side story;  when I was buying new MH tires, I was offered Firestone  275/70R22.5 LR L tires (discontinued model) or Sailun same size in LR H. I thought the LR L would ride like a log truck and passed.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 8/3/2019 at 4:02 PM, Dutch_12078 said:

On the Walmart pulling TT wheels question, our daughter-in-law works for a company with a small mini-van delivery fleet that uses Walmart auto shops for basic maintenance. She's sometimes  picks up or drops off vehicles at two different Walmart locations. I mentioned the TT problem to her this afternoon, and she said one of the locations she goes to will do some work in the parking lot but the other won't. She said the difference is that the Walmart location that does do some work outside of the shop owns the parking lot while a shopping center management company owns it at the other location, and the insurance coverage and restrictions are different at each place.

Parking lot ownership may also be the issue here - when the wrecker service guy pulled the wheels so the Walmart shop could change tires, the Walmart guys wouldn't touch the wheels unless they were carried into their shop. 

"Unfortunately trailer manufacturers "spec" tires that fit the intended vehicle's unloaded weight.  That was confirmed (in person, "eye to eye") with a mfgr's rep (Jayco). "

The tire(s) have to be able to support the axle weight ratings....the axles will be supplied at a rating that covers the GVWR less the tongue weight.  GVWR, not unloaded weight, is used to compile the least acceptable tire rating.  Believe this to be FHWSTB? or NTTS? rules.  These numbers will all be at minimums, not any higher.  If you want more tire capacity, you have to be willing to do the research and come up with tire that others have generally had good luck with.  If you want tires to last longer, besides the normal alignment/air pressure, etc, then choose a tire with a lot of extra weight capacity for your trailer. You can't know this without a valid weight on the axles, and a lot of RVers never make the effort to confirm where they are in tire capacity vs actual as-towing weights.