If you area in the desert southwest, do not try this trick

Wrknrvr

Ok not this is not a trick. But the customer that had this happen is not happy.

W6GZ4VVl.jpg

. So this customer calls and says the gray water tank is leaking. So remove under belly and find water sorta everywhere. So take thing apart and test shower for operation. Now we did start with the water off so that made some more thinking. Turn city water on and run the shower. Yep it must be leaking on top of shower somehow. As water starts coming off the gray tank. So I use a remote camera around the two pipes entering the tank. We see water but not sure what is wrong. 

Finally decide to pull the tank and look at said problem. What the ???    The tank and connections look good. So we turn on the water and shortly there is water coming out of the plastic cover below the floor. Now this is a 1996 Hitchiker. So it was well made unit with the floor being built with a 2" space between the upper floor material and what sits on the frame. That gives space for electric and water lines. So now start looking past a water line that exits the floor in the storage compartment above where the gray water tank was. Using a remote camera with a1/4" diameter tip and looking to the rear of the Rv it looks ok, but is wet. Looking towards the front of the Rv it looks cloudy. 

So get back under Rv and start cutting the plastic bottom under the pipe. Yep there is water flowing really slow off of the pipe. Finally find what is in the photo. Repair area and choose to temporarily install drain pipe instead of the tank. This unit is being used as a park model for now.

Problem solved.       Buuuuuut customer calllllled.      Moooooore dripping maybe.    Watching water meter overnight.

Customer has heard what he thinks is a pack rat in the walls. Has set traps but still no subject to say he got it.

What does work to keep them at a distance,.   Vern

.223, you'll need to be sure of down-range activity. The rest of the internet suggestions, (mothballs, lights, etc) seem to be even worse for "hit-or-miss".

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

We've volunteered in several USFW refuges where packrats (Wood Rats) were prevalent. They recommended use of bright rope lights under the perimeter of the trailer along with hoods up and lights in the engine compartments of tow vehicles. We never had an issue with the rats, but the volunteer campground did resemble an airport at night!

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Has anyone tried peppermint oil?  That stuff is very strong!  We have mice at our property in the barns but not in the camper or house.  I go around every couple months and renew the oil.  Smells good and we were told it works great.  Been using it for a couple years and so far, not a single problem.... knock on wood.  I use it inside the camper, under the sink and in a closet and in the RV basement/storage areas.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Vern, what mptjelgin posts seems to work well. We spend sometime north of Libby, MT and it is packrat kingdom. Most people in rv's in that area use rope lights around the perimeter of the rig. We use solar lights at every location that something from the fiver touches the ground, wheels, jacks, etc. seems to also work. When we were a rookie in that area years ago, we unknowingly hauled one over to Cour d alene, ID. The first night in the RV park I thought I heard something down in the storage bay. Next morning after daylight, I opened the large bay door and sure enough the ugliest thing on God's green earth took off for a dark area. Went to a nearby farm store and bought the biggest rat trap they had. Placed it in the bay baited and shut the bay door. About ten minutes later when we were walking to the truck, I heard something like a spring snapping. Opened up the bay door and sure enough it was in the trap. Grabbed a pair of pump handle pliers and the trap and Mr. Rat both got deposited in the park dumpster. Fortunately we didn't end up with any damage.

And by the way Vern, we see you from time to time in the Kalispell and Somers area during the summer, we for one sure appreciate your posts either asking for info or feeding info to us. Just like your furnace exhaust pipe post above. As the Head Wrench on this fiver, thank you very much and have a great day. 

If it is a wood rat problem, I too have had good success using rope lights around the perimeter of the RV and kept a drop light on under the hood and in the generator bay at night. But I don't know that it would make one who has already taken up residence move away. He is probably going to have to either trap or poison the rat now to get rid of him. I once had a mouse do damage under the dash of the class A and to get rid of him I used one of the bug bombs that you can buy on Amazon or at any store. If you get one that has a caution about taking all pets and live animals out of the RV and use generously, it will kill the rat. You could have an odor issue later but for our mouse, we didn't. Several months later a petrified mouse fell out on the floor while traveling. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

23 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

We've volunteered in several USFW refuges where packrats (Wood Rats) were prevalent. They recommended use of bright rope lights under the perimeter of the trailer along with hoods up and lights in the engine compartments of tow vehicles. We never had an issue with the rats, but the volunteer campground did resemble an airport at night!

These places must have electric hookups?

5 hours ago, jblo said:

These places must have electric hookups?

We have volunteered at 9 different USFWS locations, 5 NPS locations, 9 state parks in 5 states, county parks in 4 states, 3 COE parks, and assorted other locations and have had full hookups at all of them. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 4 weeks later...

Well that little guy was back again.   Yep he wanted to take shower so he  did his thing.

tujNAdsl.jpg

There was a critter that bit me while working on this job also.

Not working on that job again. It has a lot of hiding places for things to hide. And a lot of evidence of unfriendly critters.

Just a thought,   Vern

Archived