Question about RV Pic

oldbutspry

So I'm always casually perusing 5th Wheels looking for the perfect one to buy.  Sometimes I see pics that make me wonder.  Here's a pic of a 2017 Grand Design with some corrosion.  I'm guessing this is the furnace and maybe it had a leak at some time?  Anybody else got a better explanation?  And the bigger question is - would this be something that would deter you from buying?  I'm thinking no but don't really know.

kSeoN4p.jpg

That's the water heater. The rust/residue could be from poor winterizing practice, a dripping T&P valve, or from old age. I'd factor the cost of a new heater into the negotiations, and buy with the expectation it will fail sooner, rather than later.
Most of the rust/residue appears superficial, but it's hard to tell from the pic.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

IMHO, 2017 and rusted like that, I would run away fast, but that's just me.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Expanded pic. Clearly crud/watery acid coming from nylon drain plug - Atwood water heater. Looks nasty, but something was probably ingested into the water heater. I doubt an issue, and could probably be fixed with a good flush, but I would negotiate the price of a fresh WH if it were me. They's expensive. 😨 Just sayin'.   

'12 Excel Limitied 33ft GKE Full Timing '14 Chev 3500 CC DRW D/A named Bullet

Where is the trailer located?  If it has been parked on a beach, the salty air could of caused this.  It appears that the drain plug has been leaking for a while due to the build up around the drain plug.  Like said, I would give it a good flush and even take an endoscope to inspect the inside of the water heater if you are concerned.  It sounds like you have been looking for a while for a GREAT value buy. How does the rest of the rig look like?  How much under book are you looking  to get  it for?  If just this picture with out any investigation scares you, then walk away.  It would be way different if you walked on the roof and found several soft spots.  Then you would be looking at a high cost to fix. Best of luck.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

Aaah, water heater!  That's good to know!  I saw what looked like gas and an igniter but a furnace is what came to mind.

The rest of the trailer isn't too rusty to my eyes.  But then it's pretty new so you wouldn't expect much rust.  PPL has it in Houston but who knows where it was used.  The price seems pretty good but it has been on PPL's website for a little while.  Usually, the good buys at PPL seem to go quick.  I was thinking maybe this was what was deterring potential buyers.

We're not about to run over and buy it simply because I can't get away from work for a while.  So chances are it will be sold before we can go see it.  Still I am interested in what everyone sees wrong.  I'm hoping it'll help me make a better decision when we do buy.

Here's the ad:  https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/fifth-wheel/2017-grand-design-reflection_rv-40616

Looks pretty obvious to me that whatever caused that rust came from the drain plug on the water heater itself.   The rust pattern leads right back to the plug.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

According to NADA, its priced right if it needs no work.  BUT, what will it cost to repair the w/heater and rusted/corroded sheet metal problem is has?  Those alone will more than likely drive the $$ invested in that RV way over the list value.  I did not like the looks of the tires, either one is low or more weight is being applied to it over the others.  New tires would also be figured in, IMHO.  It also looks like it has been lived in, well used again, IMHO, so I wonder how long before smaller items will need repair/replaced even if only 2 yrs old, probably 3 depending on date sold.  It's a nice looking RV, but lots to consider.  Just my 2 cents worth, again, I stick to my original answer, run away.  But, that's just me, I'm pretty picky with that much $$.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2017/Grand-Design-Recreational-Vehicles/M-367BHS/6565245/Values

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

4 hours ago, NDBirdman said:

According to NADA, its priced right if it needs no work.  BUT, what will it cost to repair the w/heater and rusted/corroded sheet metal problem is has?  Those alone will more than likely drive the $$ invested in that RV way over the list value.  I did not like the looks of the tires, either one is low or more weight is being applied to it over the others.  New tires would also be figured in, IMHO.  It also looks like it has been lived in, well used again, IMHO, so I wonder how long before smaller items will need repair/replaced even if only 2 yrs old, probably 3 depending on date sold.  It's a nice looking RV, but lots to consider.  Just my 2 cents worth, again, I stick to my original answer, run away.  But, that's just me, I'm pretty picky with that much $$.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2017/Grand-Design-Recreational-Vehicles/M-367BHS/6565245/Values

I didn't know NADA had fifth wheels listed.  More great info! Thanks!

2 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Where did you see rusted sheet metal?

I think he's referring to the corrosion on the panel that opens.  I would probably just clean that and put POR-15 over it.

Thanks for telling me that's the drain plug, too!

• 1 month later...

As of today, it appears to still be available.  If you get to look at it, examine closely for any signs of it being in high water.  Several floods in that area recently.  Remember, PPL is a consignment outfit--they don't own the trailer. You can make any offer you would like to, and they would have to present it to the owner.

the heat tends to burn off the cheap galvanizing. thus rust develops.

some get it, some do not.

if it is just surface rust might not be a worry. but if deep pits then will have a problem. but hard water will case the rust fast. if salt water/air then the whole coach will be affected.

just look very closely at it, hows the anode?  is the rust only at the bottom? up the sides? on other wh parts?. look under the coach? little to none, or all rust?

The issue with the water heater is minor if compared to the POTENTIAL of water intrusion into the wall cavity and the subsequent dry rot that can occur if that leak was left for some time.  If it happened as a result of the water pump running and then it being turned off or losing pressure, then it likely did not affect the wall, BUT, if the coach was plugged in and the leaking continued for some time, then the wall could have become saturated and then here comes the dry rot, which is difficult or expensive to repair.

I'd keep looking.

Marcel

Archived