Samsung S6 to either S8 or S9

Smitty77_7

My S6 battery is in fading mode. Could get a battery pack shell for it, but since we use this with Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited as one our primary sources for Data while traveling - thinking its a good time to move up some. S8's and even S9's can be found for good prices, many times as new insurance replaced phones. Figure 5G is far enough out to not worry about it for now, and the S8 or S9 - should bridge us until 5G is worth considering. $400-500 ranges new, a bit less for used 'mint' or refurbished condition.

I asked this opinion on IRV2 too, but was wondering if anyone has any different opinion on my thinking?

TIA for any input, and best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

I have a Google Pixel 2XL and think that it is the best Android phone I've ever owned.  It is fast and the battery life is far better than what my S7 could deliver.  It's running Android 9 because Google gives its phones the latest updates..  Although most;y use my DSLR for serious photos, the camera receives excellent reviews and the new "Night Sight" feature is pretty impressive (can take pretty good pictures without flash in nearly total darkness).

Because the Pixel 3 has recently been released there are significant discounts available on the Pixel 2

One other nice aspect is that Google phones don't come with all the junk apps that Samsung installs on its phones.

The only downsides I'm aware of are that it doesn't support Miracasting and has no HDMI output even though its USB jack.  There also is no headphone jack but the USB can be used for that and, of course, there's always Bluetooth.

Joel

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I quit buying high dollar phones years ago.  I have a Motorola G5 Plus with an octa core processor which I will put up against any phone for everyday performance.  It was $200 brand new and doesn't come with all the bloatware.  It is also an unlocked phone which will run on any network out of the box.

The G5 has been replaced with the G6 series, which I understand are available in the $200 range.

JMO

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I have and use an S8+ and like it. But I also agree with chirakawa that the Motorola phones are worth looking at.  The G6 32GB is around $200 and you can often get great deals on the X4 65GB for around the same price.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

Many thanks for the sanity check... I'm lucky, as the S6 is still supporting us, especially sense we're in off travel mode... I just make sure I keep my separate auxiliary battery pack charged, and find I'm now taking the time to plug in phone while traveling in the car, even for short distances, to keep the battery charge up. (And, i admit I could turn off features to reduce battery draw down - I choose not to do so...). 

I'm an old fan of Motorola, it and professional days Blackberry, were my go to phones for years. I replaced my last Motorola (RAZR M, bulging battery - but a good phone.) with my current Samsung S6. I went to Samsung, because our coaches TV's were Samsung, and frankly the S6, was ahead of the Motorola of that era... 

So unless a real deal pop up's, I'll take a bit more time to evaluate the Motorola's and Pixel's too... 

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

On 12/22/2018 at 10:57 AM, Bill Joyce said:

I have and use an S8+ and like it. But I also agree with chirakawa that the Motorola phones are worth looking at.  The G6 32GB is around $200 and you can often get great deals on the X4 65GB for around the same price.

Bill - I had two Motorolas (Droid Minis) brick on me in short order. I had always had high regards for Motorola equipment, but that shook my confidence. We now have an S6 (wife's) and S7 (mine) and are quite happy with them.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

15 hours ago, Mr&Mrs Duet said:

Where did you find that? I'm looking for an upgrade from a Note 2.😃

This is from:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/lotus.online?ul_noapp=true

I bought a phone for my MIL from them a few years back, and it exactly what they said it was. 

I'll update if what I end up getting, is not what it's advertised to be:)!

Best to you on your hunt,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

48 minutes ago, mkc said:

Please report back if you are able to successfully hotspot the unlocked phone on a gUDP plan.  I've read of 2 concerns with unlocked phones - no HD calling and no hotspotting with Verizon. 

Hotspotting an unlocked phone

I've held onto my S5 for that reason.

PDAnet should work

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, mkc said:

Please report back if you are able to successfully hotspot the unlocked phone on a gUDP plan.  I've read of 2 concerns with unlocked phones - no HD calling and no hotspotting with Verizon. 

Hotspotting an unlocked phone

I've held onto my S5 for that reason.

My unlocked Moto G5 Plus has both HD calling and hotspot features on Verizon with no issues. 

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

15 hours ago, Smitty77_7 said:

This is from:

https://www.ebay.com/usr/lotus.online?ul_noapp=true

I bought a phone for my MIL from them a few years back, and it exactly what they said it was. 

I'll update if what I end up getting, is not what it's advertised to be:)!

Best to you on your hunt,

Smitty

I'd be interested to know how you think the new phone compares with the old one.  I'm still using an S5 but I'd consider upgrading if there is some cool new stuff I can do with it.

It was a simple move of the SIM from the S6 to the S8. I then used the Samsung Smart Switch to move everything that did not come over with the SIM. Then spent about 45 mins updating the phones software/security to current levels. 

I'm responding now, via the Samsung S8, on HotSpot... So yes, it works. I couldn't imagine how Verizon would be concerned, or care, about my phone change. I've never got assistance, ever since the first time I went in to do a 'phone upgrade' - and at the last moment before doing so, asked the Verizon rep to confirm my Unlimited Data (Was not called Grandfathered back then:)!) - would not be impacted. And thank goodness it was an honest rep, as they said 'Yes, it most likely will be...'. So I've always upgraded my phone, without asking Verizon for assistance. (Well, a few times I had to go to a Verizon Store, to get an upgraded SIM... But that has not been a problem.). 

Bought a protection case today. And will swing by Best Buy, or maybe somewhere else, and get a screen protector in the next day or two. 

And by the way. I've noticed a slight improvement in reception between the S6 vs S8, our stick & bricks home is terrible for reception ("1 bar" on the S6. And say "1 3/4 bar" on the S8.) (I also used Signal Check Pro. S6 RSSP - 117 - 119, just before I removed the SIM. The S8, same location about 25 mins late RSSP 105-107. (And the SNR improve with the S8 to0, but I did not write those values down.). (And yes, the 25min or so gap could have been the variable that caused the differences... But, I'm noticing better connectivity. I place the phone in the same every night, and have it BT connected to a home phone system.)

Have been so busy with other life events, that I have not played much with the S8 to learn it well... But very similar so far, to the S6.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

Archived